EI CGR-30P Engine Monitor Pireps

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
About to yank the engine out of my 182 and P.Ponk it. Figure if I am going to that expense along with a new prop I might as well keep going off the deep end and add an engine monitor to properly tune the thing in the air and install it while the engine is out.

Was leaning towards the Electronics International CGR-30P for the features, price and ease of installation and integration since it drops right into an existing hole. I do NOT want to get into a full panel rework.

Anyone have use and have an opinion of it?

http://buy-ei.com/portfolio/cgr-30p-overview/

Hope someone replies. I've been looking at that exact model to replace the ancient GEM engine monitor in mine.

I am intending to go that route, as well.

It's certified, replace all engine instruments.

I've had one for about 15 months. Bright. Information dense, but easy to read. Lots of configuration options for non-primary parameters. Fuel consumption based on fuel flow is very accurate after adjusting the proportionality constant as instructed in the installation manual (within a few tenths of a gallon out of 10-20 gallons). EIs new, barrel shaped connectors seem to have overcome problems with the earlier spade connectors, as I have had no issues with erratic temperature readings. Good support from EI.

Mine was DOA when it arrived and had to go back for repair. It also had to be returned for service after 6 months. No issues since then.

My CHTs are low for a Tiger. Hottest never reaches 360F, rarely reaches 350F, and usually runs around 330F. There are some who believe that EIs ungrounded CHT probes read 30-50F lower than JPIs grounded probes. If so, I'm not sure which is right. In my case it isn't an issue, as CHTs are still ok even if I add 50F to them.

Bottom line is that I like my CGR-30P. It consolidated all the primary engine instruments and vacuum gauge plus tach and fuel flow into one panel spot. Plus giving EGT and CHT readouts. It interfaces with the 530w to give fuel to waypoint, fuel to destination, fuel at waypoint/destination, remaining range, and added range at destination.

The only cause for reservation was the need to return it twice for repair. Based on EIs generally good reputation, I am chalking that experience up to me getting a lemon (until it was repaired).

I think that you are not likely to be disappointed buying a CGR-30P, or whatever is equivalent from JPI.

Back