EGT probe replace or crimp?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I have the cowl off my Lancair 235/320 for routine maintenance and noticed one of my EGT probes was loose. Upon closer inspection, I discovered the wire was not adhered to the probe, but merely sitting inside the barrel of the probe.

It was functioning prior to this inspection.

Can this wire be crimped in the probe?
Should the probe be replaced?
Any idea what probe it is? I am using a Aerospace logic EGT-100 guage.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• egt probe.jpg
    egt probe.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 25
I have the cowl off my Lancair 235/320 for routine maintenance and noticed one of my EGT probes was loose. Upon closer inspection, I discovered the wire was not adhered to the probe, but merely sitting inside the barrel of the probe.

It was functioning prior to this inspection.

Can this wire be crimped in the probe?
Should the probe be replaced?
Any idea what probe it is? I am using a Aerospace logic EGT-100 guage.

Thanks for the help.

These probes operate in millivolts.. You will never get a decent. predictable joint... Buy a new probe... IMHO..

OK
No problem; I am fine with that.
Now, what probe to buy?

OK
No problem; I am fine with that.
Now, what probe to buy?

if it is a type K probe then most will give a temp reading... The trick is to find one with the same connector you have on the old one on the wire..

if it is a type K probe then most will give a temp reading... The trick is to find one with the same connector you have on the old one on the wire..
I had never heard of a K type probe but after a little reading I believe that is just what I have - one red and one yellow wire. Connectors are simple blade type connectors.

Upon very close inspection, it appears the builder took a probe, cut the wire to desired length, crimped on the desired wire end connectors. No part number is seen.
Looks like I just need to pick out a K type probe and do the same.

OK
Confirmed my Aerospace logic EGT guage requires K type probes and recommends Westach 713 probes.
I have ordered a replacement probe.
Thanks for the help guys.

Back