EFFECTS ON VOICE COMMUNICATION DUE TO OVER-CONGESTION OF THE RADIO FREQUENCIES

avionics_eng

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
avionics_eng
Dear Airman,

I am a Graduate level student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. I am conducting a research project on the effects that the over-congestion of voice communication radio frequencies has on the safety of flight operations. This survey will be conducted as a web survey through the attached link. It will take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete this survey. All responses will remain anonymous and data gathered will be used to provide statistics of the overall answers, so no answer will be individually identifiable.

Please take a few moments to share your experiences through this survey as honestly as possible. The results will be used to determine how critical the situation of receiving and transmitting clear radio communications in the aviation industry is. This determination will help find a solution to the problem in the future.
Your time is greatly appreciated and if so desired, I can send you the results of the findings via email.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/erau_gcp_research

Best Regards,
Danilo

WHEN THE RADIO IS BUSY I JUST TURN IT OFF, CLOSE MY EYES, AND LAND STRAIGHT IN

And ,,,,ah......any........traffic in the pattern.....please advise?

Sorry...couldn't resist.

I like to sing show tunes on busy radio frequencies. They often call me the man with the golden throat....or something else which I can't repeat on here.

Had to be done.

It's end-of-the-semester and too many students are trying to write up anything that vaguely resembles a paper.

LOL. Apparently ERAU doesn't teach people how to type, or the basic common courtesies of internet forums.

That's all I have for you. Come back with a quieter voice, and I may be more help.

There is a lot of situational awareness gained by passively monitoring radio traffic.

There is a lot of situational awareness gained by passively monitoring radio traffic.

Especially when it's you they're talking about...

"There's an aircraft out there at your 12 to 1 O'clock, 7500' northbound, I'm not talking to him."

LOL! Kidding... :tongue:

Ok, I tried. But too many of the questions I left me wanting to answer "none of the above" - then I got to "when do drop outs happen" - receiving or transmitting" The answer to that would be yes...

Danilo,

Just finishing up the quiz here (ha... quiz...) and thought this question was kinda funny...

11. During which phase of flight would you say that a drop in radio communications occur the most frequently?

During which phase of flight would you say that a drop in radio communications occur the most frequently?

Park
Taxi
Take-off
Cruise
Approach/Landing

I always lose radio communications when I park, because I TURN THE AVIONICS MASTER OFF. :D ;)

Just sayin'... :thumbsup:

Ok, I tried. But too many of the questions I left me wanting to answer "none of the above" - then I got to "when do drop outs happen" - receiving or transmitting" The answer to that would be yes...

I don't think a whole lot of thought went into the survey questions. I'd expect a better effort from a graduate student, particularly an engineering student. Seems like he's skipping problem definition and jumping to a solution in the last few questions.

Heh heh... not trying to pick on you, but these are getting better...

13. Do you think that a drop in radio communication during a flight is a safety hazard?

Do you think that a drop in radio communication during a flight is a safety hazard?

Yes
No
Only if it occurs during critical flight phases (taxiing, take-off, landing)

Frankly, I don't want the controller talking to me during take-off or landing, and unless it's something very common like "Contact Departure", "Cleared to Land", or "Go around, there's an aircraft on the runway" [and I can do that myself without them saying to...]...

I'm probably busy and not going to pay much attention.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate... in that order. The radio goes dead, I still have two other more important "jobs" to do.

Hope this helps a bit with your project. Truly, I do.

Danilo -- if you ever come back to this forum...

1) go take a course on research methods
2) accurately describing the problem you're investigating and why it's a problem
3) go learn how to create an effective and useful survey instrument. Survey Monkey is only the delivery method - it's not the survey

Note to Nate - ERAU is not an engineering school as we know it - it's not Mines, it's not CU-Engineering, yada yada yada

14. Do you find that drops in radio communication occur more frequently while receiving or transmitting on the radio?

Do you find that drops in radio communication occur more frequently while receiving or transmitting on the radio?
Receiving
Transmitting
Equally frequent

I lose the ability to receive every time I transmit. Damn you half-duplex! ;)

LOL... OK, I'm about to give up on this...

15. Do you feel it is a greater hazard for a drop in radio communication to occur while receiving or transmitting on the radio?

Do you feel it is a greater hazard for a drop in radio communication to occur while receiving or transmitting on the radio?

Receiving
Transmitting
Equally dangerous

Depends on if I was asking the controller about the baseball game scores while he was trying to call out traffic at 12 o'clock, less than a mile, same altitude -- or if I were telling the controller I was declaring an emergency for severe turbulence and needed a vector out!

LOL... I'm really sorry, I was trying to take this seriously, but this is getting silly now.

If a Amplitude Modulated Radio Transmission falls in the forest...

Sigh....

18. How do you feel about using Data link communication such as FANS or CPDLC as an alternative to radio communication?

How do you feel about using Data link communication such as FANS or CPDLC as an alternative to radio communication?

Excellent idea
Very good idea
Good idea
Bad idea
Not familiar with Data link communication

Sounds great. But that's not going to be my answer. Airlines are already doing similar, but they can afford it.

In my airplane, the answer is "Who's buying?" You want to pay to put it in my aircraft, I'll use it.

Also, isn't this what ADS-B Out is supposed to accomplish and already has such a head of steam that no one will stop it? ;)

Ho-hum... how many more questions...?

What's a radio? Can I make pancakes with it? And what's a controller? Is that one of the guys that lands my airplane like I keep hearing about on the news?

Note to Nate - ERAU is not an engineering school as we know it - it's not Mines, it's not CU-Engineering, yada yada yada

Someone else made the Engineering comments, methinks.

Were any of my comments too "techie", and not common sense/critical thinking?

I'm seriously wondering if we just got trolled... I hate to say that, but... wow...

Done. Good luck with your Capstone Project. I know how much work it is (completed mine at the end of 2009).

In my airplane, the answer is "Who's buying?" You want to pay to put it in my aircraft, I'll use it.

I bet it would be a whole lot of fun air filing or requesting an amended clearance with a datalink. Unless you had a 7th grade girl on board who can text at 150 wpm.

I always lose radio communications when I park, because I TURN THE AVIONICS MASTER OFF. :D ;)

Just sayin'... :thumbsup:
I completed an entire checkride with the avionics master OFF. I won't say which checkride.

Avionics Master Switch-OFF

Takeoff Checklist complete

I bet it would be a whole lot of fun air filing or requesting an amended clearance with a datalink. Unless you had a 7th grade girl on board who can text at 150 wpm.

"OMG GF!! DEN REQ ILS 35R KAPA! UR MY BFF 4EVARRRR!!!! CU L8RZ!!!"

Danilo -- if you ever come back to this forum...

1) go take a course on research methods
2) accurately describing the problem you're investigating and why it's a problem
3) go learn how to create an effective and useful survey instrument. Survey Monkey is only the delivery method - it's not the survey
No kidding. This is the second person who has come here recently with a request to complete a survey which seems more than a little bit off the wall and this is not the only place I have seen requests to complete random surveys. I think Survey Monkey has created a monster!

When the traffic pattern isnt busy, I enjoy using my vocal talents to make my radio calls more colorful.
The many voices of David include

Frustated Indian Man
Mariachi
Street Taco Vendor
Jersey Cop
John Cleese
and everyones favorite Borat

Also, I took the survey.

Dear Survey Troll,

I must decline your invitation to participate in your survey at this time. While i appreciate the opportunity to give away valuable market data for absolutely no compensation or consideration, I am simply to busy laying on my couch and scratching myself to take on any additional projects at this time. While i have your attention, perhaps you can help me out by participating in my survey of graduate students who think their studies are more important than my time:

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

I'm getting really tired of survey takers.

When the traffic pattern isnt busy, I enjoy using my vocal talents to make my radio calls more colorful.
The many voices of David include

Frustated Indian Man
Mariachi
Street Taco Vendor
Jersey Cop
John Cleese
and everyones favorite Borat

Also, I took the survey.
Hey, you don't need to be adding to the color. We already have bonefide Indians (from India), Chinese, Middle Eastern accents, a few from Mexico, and locally, the wonderful South African guys... Every once in a while, I do try to do some sort of Texan drawl, but it's already entertaining enough!

On a serious note, I see this as one more intrusive idea to make us spend more money on cockpit equipment. In the end, such an idea would work - not because it would solve the problem completely, but because there would be so many fewer aircraft that could remain compliant, that they would be all to themselves.

I have a better idea. Make all airliners fly on specific GPS paths with NO deviations allowed. Chart all of that airspace, with specific altitudes, and let everyone else go wherever they like without any additional equipment... :D

Ryan

I know exactly where this guy is going with the study, sadly. He's looking to get a basically texting based ATC system, since that's all the latest hype down there at ERAU. As a recently graduate, I feel like that place has done more to hurt GA than most aviation institutions have in the last few years. Everything they seem to want to work on or improve only benefits the big guys in the 121 world, and they don't care about real aviation.

I know exactly where this guy is going with the study, sadly. He's looking to get a basically texting based ATC system, since that's all the latest hype down there at ERAU. As a recently graduate, I feel like that place has done more to hurt GA than most aviation institutions have in the last few years. Everything they seem to want to work on or improve only benefits the big guys in the 121 world, and they don't care about real aviation.
If they got it down to a price point where "real aviation" could afford it...

I remember a survey from Jeppesen years ago (probably late 1980s) where I told them that I didn't think charts on computer in the cockpit was a feasible idea. Who would want to be pushing buttons in turbulence? :redface:

The problem with text based ATC (I mean beside from the same reason you don't text and drive) is that it's kinda hard to fly and type at the same time. If you ever get the chance, fire up your Flight Simulator, log into VATSIM, and try to fly and type in your ATC communication at the same time and see how that works out for you.

I'll be sticking to voice, thank you.

The problem with text based ATC (I mean beside from the same reason you don't text and drive) is that it's kinda hard to fly and type at the same time. If you ever get the chance, fire up your Flight Simulator, log into VATSIM, and try to fly and type in your ATC communication at the same time and see how that works out for you.

I'll be sticking to voice, thank you.
Bingo. That was going to be my comment too. Now, if they hook up voice recognition... But then we're back to David's accents! :hairraise:

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who took the time to fill out my survey. Based on some of the responses here, it seems some folks think that I am trying to push datalink into their aircraft. I was just trying to gather some data on the issues that are occuring in voice communication. Based on the responses, most people agree that there is a problem with dropped communication in congested airspace. I agree with you guys in GA aircraft that datalink is not the solution for you. Datalink is meant for airliners and business jets who can afford the system and where there are 2 pilots, while one is flying, the other can communicate as necessary to ATC via datalink. That would alleviate a lot of the traffic on the radios and make it easier for the GA aircraft to communicate. Another point is that datalink is meant for non-emergency communication, obviously if there is an emergency, the pilot would communicate to ATC via radio comm, whether ATC would respond, that is another question.

Buddy, nobody is forcing you to fill out the survey, if you don't like, ignore it...I would suggest you go figure out where your frustrations are really coming from!!!

Dear Survey Troll,

I must decline your invitation to participate in your survey at this time. While i appreciate the opportunity to give away valuable market data for absolutely no compensation or consideration, I am simply to busy laying on my couch and scratching myself to take on any additional projects at this time. While i have your attention, perhaps you can help me out by participating in my survey of graduate students who think their studies are more important than my time:

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

I'm getting really tired of survey takers.

Datalink is meant for airliners and business jets who can afford the system and where there are 2 pilots, while one is flying, the other can communicate as necessary to ATC via datalink. That would alleviate a lot of the traffic on the radios and make it easier for the GA aircraft to communicate.

But ATC handles all kinds of traffic. Creating a mixed system of voice and data communication helps a controller how?

But ATC handles all kinds of traffic. Creating a mixed system of voice and data communication helps a controller how?

Well that is a different topic. That would be up to the FAA to regulate how the ATC and the NAS functions as a whole and maybe separate controllers into voice-comm and data-comm? This isn't something simple that can just be implemented and enforced. It will also be very difficult to enforce GA aircraft to use datalink if there is only 1 pilot flying, even if the prices of the systems do come down.

As far as the price is concerned, I'm sure that there will be datalink systems designed to the GA population that will be much cheaper versions of what is installed in airliners.

Datalink is not the solution, it can only be part of the solution, and like I said, there must be 2 pilots flying an aircraft to be able to use it for safety reasons.

Back