Effective Immediately: Change to GBR Pattern Altitude

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Effective immediately, the pattern altitude is 1,750 feet.
Brush up on your Space Shuttle Approach technique.

Whiners with lawyers are complaining about noise again.

This doesn't seem so non-standard. KGBR field is 739' MSL. 1750' msl TPA is about 1000' AGL.

If this airport is raising the pattern altitude from 800' to 1011' AGL, seem like a pretty normal TPA.

Last edited:
Says who? I don’t see a NOTAM or anything in the chart supplement.

But I do see that touch and go landings are not authorized. I’m assuming that’s a product of the same whiners mentioned in the OP. How soon can we organize a POA fly-in to work on our stop and go night landings?

Effective immediately, the pattern altitude is 1,750 feet.
Brush up on your Space Shuttle Approach technique.

Whiners with lawyers are complaining about noise again.

Any proof it was the NIMBYs? Only reason I ask is because I know our airport was contacted by the FAA about our 800 foot agl pattern altitude a few years ago. They were trying to standardize airports to 1,000 feet agl patterns at the time, but wouldn't make us change it we wanted to keep it. I saw no need to make the change.

:yeahthat: No it's whiners.
It's been building for the last few years.
Ex:
We had someone call and complain that the planes were flying over her house. She built the house, 3 years ago, directly under final approach for runway 11, less than a mile from the airport.
So we started trying to jog to the right during takeoff.
She called and complained we were flying past her house.
One guy, a lawyer from NYC apparently has someone on his payroll who listens to the radio and reports every "N" number that calls in as doing something illegal.
The FAA got annoyed when they reported an aircraft called "radio check" had over 100 heinous, life threatening "violations" during a single day. It was a fly-in.

I fly there occasionally and don’t see the problem with using the (recommended) standardized TPA of 1000’ AGL. It prevents confusion from non-local pilots if every airport has the same TPA. I have heard that the old TPA is just a hold over from the owner, who also insisted that they use 122.8 to the dismay of others at the airport which is always a total crap show and every other radio call is stepped on in that area.

Granted I have a C150 with 40 degree flaps and always flight high and tight and drops the flaps and bomb down on base and final most landings anyway.

Put a sign up on the airport property:

Coming soon.!! Low income housing.!! Over 2500 units will be available.!!

Or:

Great Barrington Speedway opening soon.!! Races every Saturday.!! Live Music Every Friday Night.!!

Or:

Future Site of Berkshire County Sewage Treatment Plant.!! Built By Your Tax Dollars.!!

:yeahthat: No it's whiners.
It's been building for the last few years.
Ex:
We had someone call and complain that the planes were flying over her house. She built the house, 3 years ago, directly under final approach for runway 11, less than a mile from the airport.
So we started trying to jog to the right during takeoff.
She called and complained we were flying past her house.
One guy, a lawyer from NYC apparently has someone on his payroll who listens to the radio and reports every "N" number that calls in as doing something illegal.
The FAA got annoyed when they reported an aircraft called "radio check" had over 100 heinous, life threatening "violations" during a single day. It was a fly-in.

You guys have mandatory reporting of property defects in your state?

Start filing defective property motives against their houses. Get their complaints to the airport on record via FOIA requests.

Clearly those houses are nearly “uninhabitable” with all their complaints! Wouldn’t want the next buyer to pay too much for them.

:)

Back