EFB comparison - Fltplan GO vs

Slackyhacky

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
First the background -

I don't have an external GPS (yet), but will want one and I like the idea of AHRS. However, I just got my PPL SEL - so am not IR, but will start working on it.

I didn't use my iPad until I got my license (actually started using it about 2 weeks before my checkride) - so now I want to use the best EFB for me.

I can't get the free ForeFlight because I stupidly used it up before I even brought my ipad to the plane.

I just paid for FlyQ for $39 for the year - (which is dumb because two weeks ago I could have paid $19 since it is offered at this price to students and CFI's).

I have been using fltplan go and really like it. I don't like FlyQ for several reasons which I will mention a few.

This is an excellent thread (first post) which summarizes how all the EFB's are similar - but this was over 1 year ago.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/why-not-fltplan-com.81187/

So - the questions -
1. Fltplan Go vs Foreflight: I love that FlyQ puts the winds superimposed over the runway. That is very cool. Fltplan Go does not do that. I assume Foreflight does. However, will foreflight give you the cross wind component? (I can use a crosswind calculator in fltplan go - but why not just make it automatic?)
2. FlyQ doesn't have weight and balance calculator (fltplan go does). Does ForeFlight?
3. The weather application on FlyQ is awesome. It is not great on fltplan go. How is it on foreflight? Does anyone know if it compares to FlyQ weather (with regards to ease of use, visual stuff, etc)?
4. The flight planning on FlyQ is not good at all. I may think that because the flight planning on Fltplan go is pretty great. How is it on Foreflight? Even though fltplan go is good, it still could be way easier and functional. Maybe I just need some better instruction, but I can't get the fuel burn, and ascend and descent times and burns to work at all.
5. I don't know what External to get. I was told the in-flight weather on fltplan go doesn't work with stratux. Can someone confirm this? What about traffic? How about on foreflight?

Just some additional thoughts. Some features I love in fltplan go - is the documents, how I can put any document in the folders. For my checkride, I put the POH, the additional documents (like weight and balanced) that I scanned, and AIM, the Pilot Handbook of aeronautical knowledge, and some other nice references. You can easily put these in iBook, but I thought it was useful having them within the application. Also, I really like being able to edit checklists in fltplan go. For my checkride, I made a checklist for all the V speeds on the plane I was using and had those in front of me when needed, also made a checklist for maneuvers (like soft feild landing) so had those in front of me too....really really useful.

So - the questions -
1. Fltplan Go vs Foreflight: I love that FlyQ puts the winds superimposed over the runway. That is very cool. Fltplan Go does not do that. I assume Foreflight does. However, will foreflight give you the cross wind component? (I can use a crosswind calculator in fltplan go - but why not just make it automatic?)

See screenshot next post. Foreflight will auto-calculate crosswind from last known weather data -- however, and I suspect this is true of all of them, last known weather data probably isn't what you just got from the Tower besides the ATIS, or necessarily going to match the AWOS.

2. FlyQ doesn't have weight and balance calculator (fltplan go does). Does ForeFlight?

Yes.

3. The weather application on FlyQ is awesome. It is not great on fltplan go. How is it on foreflight? Does anyone know if it compares to FlyQ weather (with regards to ease of use, visual stuff, etc)?[/QUOTE]

Foreflight has all of the FAA weather available, plus Radar overlay on the moving map, and various other modes like a mode that shows VMC/IMC at airports in colored dots, surface winds laid on the map as wind barbs, interpolated winds aloft for your altitude, doesn't matter which chart you want it all overlaid on VFR, IFR Low, IFR High, TFRs, Hazard Advisor (Terrain coloring), Satellite overlay, etc etc etc... I can't think of anything other than Skew-T data that ForeFlight is missing that I'd like to see.

4. The flight planning on FlyQ is not good at all. I may think that because the flight planning on Fltplan go is pretty great. How is it on Foreflight? Even though fltplan go is good, it still could be way easier and functional. Maybe I just need some better instruction, but I can't get the fuel burn, and ascend and descent times and burns to work at all.

Hmmm, it's "good enough", but they've only recently started doing time to climb/fuel burn and descent stuff... prior to that you'd want to put a fudge factor on it. It's also ****-poor if you'd like to PRINT a backup flight planning sheet that's set up for easy clock/stopwatch tracking... you can print, but it's worthless for that, almost.

5. I don't know what External to get. I was told the in-flight weather on fltplan go doesn't work with stratux. Can someone confirm this? What about traffic? How about on foreflight?

Foreflight will allow all Stratux data UNLESS you turn on AHRS functionality, at which point it will disconnect from Stratux and refuse to talk to it. Traffic, weather, all there.

Just some additional thoughts. Some features I love in fltplan go - is the documents, how I can put any document in the folders. For my checkride, I put the POH, the additional documents (like weight and balanced) that I scanned, and AIM, the Pilot Handbook of aeronautical knowledge, and some other nice references. You can easily put these in iBook, but I thought it was useful having them within the application.

Foreflight has all of the FAA pubs and more available in their "Catalog" of Docs, ready to download without having to hunt for them anywhere, and they'll just stay updated on the iPad. They also have the ability to upload your own docs into the app.

Also, I really like being able to edit checklists in fltplan go. For my checkride, I made a checklist for all the V speeds on the plane I was using and had those in front of me when needed, also made a checklist for maneuvers (like soft feild landing) so had those in front of me too....really really useful.

Foreflight used to have a standalone checklist app, and it essentially got abandoned many moons ago. Don't know why. It never even got far enough along to handle device rotation. Not recommended. Could do it with a Document, but I'd rather just have my usual laminated real checklist in the airplane(s) anyway.

Hope that helps.

You might want to take the time to look here ... a complete Pilot Guide, numerous FAQ documents, and links to videos.

https://www.foreflight.com/support/

ForeFlight Pro!

7d3f1842bb8d9ce5201b7ee55336797a.jpg

Forgot to post the screen shot but really the manual has all of this stuff and more.

When it comes to EFBs you get what you pay for. The money gets you quicker product improvements, testing, better customer service and a well polished. FF is great and another one I would throw out there is Aerovie.

Fltplan Go continues to impress me as they expand the product. And you can not beat the price. Once you get to know where to go and where to tap, the user experience is easy. And the functionality gap with the other apps is closing quickly.

FF is very good but getting pricey.

FlyQ has loads of features but a kludgy user interface. They seem to offer discounts on this product almost monthly. For the price it's not bad but has a much steeper learning curve.

FF on the cheap? Buy iTunes gift cards on sale, apply the iTunes cards money to your account then buy FF through your iTunes account and not your credit card. iTunes cards are routinely on sale and on Black Friday you can buy these at 15%+ off list prices. Makes FF much more affordable.

Back