EFB autozoom feature?

MuseChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
MuseChaser
Just sort of thinking out loud here...

Although I'm getting better at it, one of the things that's always been a challenge for me is relating what I see on a chart, whether paper or efb app, to what I see out the window distance-wise. For a long time, I was always looking way too far in the distance when looking for landmarks. I finally got pretty good at judging things w/ paper charts, but now flying with an 8" tablet and constantly zooming in so I can read it and it looks about the same size/font/scale the paper charts do, then zooming out for more of a big picture, I'm re-experiencing my difficulties in transfering distances from the app chart to my eyeball real world. As I fly more frequently, it's getting better, but still...always looking to improve.

I've flown w/ Avare, FltPlanGo, and for the last couple months I've settled on iFlyGps as my favorite. I don't think any of them have this feature, but I could be wrong....

Are there any EFBs that have an autozoom feature that scales the display based upon your AGL? As you ascend, it zooms out, as you descend it zooms in... sort of like how automotive gpss typically adjust their zoom to the speed at which you're travelling? Maybe that would help maintain a better relationship between what you see on the screen and out the window. Alternatively, maybe a split screen approach, one half tightly zoomed for detail and scale, and one screen zoomed out for big picture? The frequent zooming in and out messes w/ my frame of reference. While having so much more current information readily available in the cockpit is wonderful, esp traffic, weather, and notams, and the magenta line is a truly seductive temptress, I confess I still prefer navigating from a paper chart.

Would this feature be of any use? Does it exist? Any tips for me, other than keep flying and fly more (taken and following already).

Just sort of thinking out loud here...

Although I'm getting better at it, one of the things that's always been a challenge for me is relating what I see on a chart, whether paper or efb app, to what I see out the window distance-wise. For a long time, I was always looking way too far in the distance when looking for landmarks. I finally got pretty good at judging things w/ paper charts, but now flying with an 8" tablet and constantly zooming in so I can read it and it looks about the same size/font/scale the paper charts do, then zooming out for more of a big picture, I'm re-experiencing my difficulties in transfering distances from the app chart to my eyeball real world. As I fly more frequently, it's getting better, but still...always looking to improve.

I've flown w/ Avare, FltPlanGo, and for the last couple months I've settled on iFlyGps as my favorite. I don't think any of them have this feature, but I could be wrong....

Are there any EFBs that have an autozoom feature that scales the display based upon your AGL? As you ascend, it zooms out, as you descend it zooms in... sort of like how automotive gpss typically adjust their zoom to the speed at which you're travelling? Maybe that would help maintain a better relationship between what you see on the screen and out the window. Alternatively, maybe a split screen approach, one half tightly zoomed for detail and scale, and one screen zoomed out for big picture? The frequent zooming in and out messes w/ my frame of reference. While having so much more current information readily available in the cockpit is wonderful, esp traffic, weather, and notams, and the magenta line is a truly seductive temptress, I confess I still prefer navigating from a paper chart.

Would this feature be of any use? Does it exist? Any tips for me, other than keep flying and fly more (taken and following already).
Garmin pilot and ForeFlight can auto zoom based on distance from waypoints. Haven’t seen it based on altitude.

Back