Educate Me on TK Routes

GarmAspen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GarmAspen
Educate Me on T Routes

I am trying to get a better understanding of how to utilize T routes. I'm based at a non-controlled airport that has several T routes nearby. Every time I have filed attempting to fly them, the clearance I get back is always a low altitude airway.

It may be due to the fact that I am near a major Class B and they want us on the Victors. But maybe it is because I am picking a T waypoint for entry and the ATC folks aren't setup to handle it (I get my clearance by phone through the Class B approach controllers).

Any insight on how to file them or why I'm having problems getting them assigned?

Last edited:
TK routes are helicopter routes.

Well that explains it! I am a moron! :) I meant "T" routes... Fixed my original post...

Last edited:
Usually close to Class B areas there are kind of standard entry and exit procedures from the area, which are usually Radar vectors to some Fix in the direction you are going. You did not share with us the specific location and airport you are departing from so we cant look at a chart, but given what you said I suspect that they cant vector you to the T route for some reason. Send us the area you are talking about.

Another thing you might do is look up so see if there is any Preferred Routing for your Class B area - if there is this will be a big clue.

PS: you are filing /G, you wont get it unless you have GPS Nav

Last edited:
Re: Educate Me on T Routes

... Any insight on how to file them or why I'm having problems getting them assigned?
Call the TRACON and ask. They don't bite. Calling after hours will probably get you the duty supervisor. During business hours, when the receptionist answers just tell her you're a pilot and have a question for the duty supervisor.

Last edited:
Back