Educate me on single Garmin Navigator.

6t6

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
North Bound
Picked up a GNS 530 WAAS to replace the 155XL. Since I was able to get in an avionics shop I decided to install GTX and GMA 345 along with the G5s setup. I'll keep the one of the King NavComm.
Will I be able to stream with Flightstream. What will I miss by not installing a 430 ? Which I am not.

You didn't mention installing a Flightstream. You'll need that.

But yah, a 530W with the other stuffs you indicated should be really nice.

One thing, though, if you DO decide to put a second GPS in, go with 400W or 430W. That way you can cross-fill from the 530W. My understanding is that both must be WAAS for the cross-fill to work. (400W is basically the same unit except it is GPS/COM... no NAV radio)

One thing, though, if you DO decide to put a second GPS in, go with 400W or 430W. That way you can cross-fill from the 530W. My understanding is that both must be WAAS for the cross-fill to work. (400W is basically the same unit except it is GPS/COM... no NAV radio)

The 400 is GPS only and the 420 is GPS/Comm.

With the FlightStream and the ability to send/receive flight plans to/from a tablet app, the only thing a 430W gives you is GPS redundancy. The most common reason your GPS goes out is an area-wide planned interference episode, so you're going to lose both anyway. The tablet itself is the backup if the primary GPS goes out for a different reason.

Quite happy with the 530W and SL-30 + GTX-345 and FS-210 combo we have!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. All makes perfect sense once you think about it. I'll just use the savings to buy more gas ! lol

I don’t think the Flightstream is all that necessary. With a 420/530 the only thing it brings to the party is flight plan download. It’s not that big of a deal to plug and chug the flight plan in. If you had a 650/750, THEN you could use Flightstream 510 which would allow you to download monthly database without handling the memory chips, but 210 does not do this.

I don’t think the Flightstream is all that necessary. With a 420/530 the only thing it brings to the party is flight plan download. It’s not that big of a deal to plug and chug the flight plan in. If you had a 650/750, THEN you could use Flightstream 510 which would allow you to download monthly database without handling the memory chips, but 210 does not do this.

It also brings an AHRS if you're wanting that sort of emergency backup for the AI...

Picked up a GNS 530 WAAS to replace the 155XL. Since I was able to get in an avionics shop I decided to install GTX and GMA 345 along with the G5s setup. I'll keep the one of the King NavComm.
Will I be able to stream with Flightstream. What will I miss by not installing a 430 ? Which I am not.

Prior to selling my Sundowner I flew it with a Garmin 530W, Garmin 496, Flightstream 210, GDL88 and a pair of Collins Nav/Coms. The flight stream tied in the iPad mini 3 with foreflight and I never missed a beat. As others have mentioned, it will get everything you need done, and with the FS210 it will be so much easier IFR.
stack.JPG

Our Debonair has the 530/430 combo with the GTX345 and Flightstream 210. Having the 430 dedicated to traffic and stormscope is nice, and setting it up as a sandbox for alternative flight plans and dedicated DME is an experiment in the works. It was avionics the package when we recently purchased the plane so I'm not complaining at all.
IMG_6957.JPG

Last edited:
I don’t think the Flightstream is all that necessary. With a 420/530 the only thing it brings to the party is flight plan download. It’s not that big of a deal to plug and chug the flight plan in.

Meh... I'd get the FlightStream. Flight plan transfer is awesome enough even though I have a GTN 750 with a full-screen keyboard that makes entering flight plans relatively fast there.

Flight plan transfer with a 530W? Well worth it to avoid all of the knob-spinning you'd have to do otherwise.

Back