Ed's 727 Takes Flight!

Hmmm airway routing. How quaint. I thought 727DS had a 430 in it?

Hmmm airway routing. How quaint. I thought 727DS had a 430 in it?

considering the last IFR flight on flight aware for the airplane was in 2007, i suspect the database is not current?

Why is he tracing the state line? :)

You know Ed likes to push the line. Last time he was in Alabama there was a bit of an incident as long as he dosen't cross the state line Sheriff Bubba Can't touch him.

Even if the database in it is current, the airways may have made the most sense to get around weather.

I'm sure he'll explain to us when he gets back to a computer. :)

Even if the database in it is current, the airways may have made the most sense to get around weather.

I'm sure he'll explain to us when he gets back to a computer. :)

Well, he could at least Twitter(Tweet?) us.

HR

Perhaps he thinks ATL's Class B is bigger than it really is, due to him drawing it on the back of the fortune cookie slip from last night's Chinese take-out.:rofl:

You know Ed likes to push the line. Last time he was in Alabama there was a bit of an incident as long as he dosen't cross the state line Sheriff Bubba Can't touch him.

I figured. He might not wanna be in the airspace of either state.

So long as his approach plate did the job...

Well, he made it....

Can't wait to hear how the flight went.

Filed airways because I knew they wouldnt give me anything over ATL. And sure enough they kept pushing me further west because of R-space near Columbus GA, then when I was going to skirt the Bravo, the pushed me further west. I didn't want to go east of ATL because it seemed like it was going to be worse off that way, and just as I was about to RMG VOR they called out Sigmet over SC/GA. I made a good choice. It was smooth sailing and I was VMC 95% of the time until I had to descend into I39. Tops were around 6000ish and it was OVC008 when I landed. The approach plate worked like a charm. Sitting in the FBO here (awesome chairs, and free water/soda upon your arrival.

I'm refiled for 1830 departure, but I'll cancel IFR because of Cinci and the 843 mile reroutes they like to give.

See, Ed had a good reason. I'd kinda figured the weather had something to do with it.

Good deal, Ed, hope that you get it all tucked in at home in a few hours!

Filed airways because I knew they wouldnt give me anything over ATL.

For future reference, ATL TRACON does have N/S corridors at 5000, 5500, and 6000 right over ATL. Sometimes they let ya through, sometimes not. It is possible.

And sure enough they kept pushing me further west because of R-space near Columbus GA, then when I was going to skirt the Bravo, the pushed me further west.
Well, that was certainly less interesting than our wild-*** speculation. :smile:

Glad you had a good flight. We'll be watching you. :drink:

For future reference, ATL TRACON does have N/S corridors at 5000, 5500, and 6000 right over ATL. Sometimes they let ya through, sometimes not. It is possible.

Well, that was certainly less interesting than our wild-*** speculation. :smile:

Glad you had a good flight. We'll be watching you. :drink:

A corridor can be rather confining in the midst of upper air sparks. Staying west looked like the best option to me as well in any case. The direct route was probably far enough east to clear the Class B re-routes but WX wise not such a good idea.

Well, the FlightAware track doesn't show the complete trip, but it's looking like he made it home.

Now for the full trip report...

I filed out of Madison, used an RCO (never did that before) Lexington's primary was out of service, so it was notify leaving 4000, 6000, and when I got to 8000. At 8000, I said I'll cancel and go to 8500. He kept me on for flight following, and handed me off to Cinci Approach - who cleared me through the Bravo at 8500. Must be all in the way you ask.

"There's probably no way I can get through the Bravo can I? Do you want me east or west?"
"I'll clear you through through the Bravo, give me a heading of 020, then on course."

"Cleared into the Class B, give me your on course heading."
"Cleared into Bravo. Track is 355, heading 345."

Was making 150TAS at 8500 and 10500. Had to go to 10500 to stay VFR, then after I got handed off from Ft Wayne to Kzoo approach, I was already 10600 and 10700 to stay legal.....ish. Yes, I was definitely 1000 above. *whistles*

Got a drop down from Kzoo, and they put me at 6000 then 4000 and at 25" 22, I was still indicating 140.

Got home, parked the plane, hopped in the car, and made it in time to pitch in our opening league game tonight.

Yeah! Glad you stayed safe, and look forward to seeing the new plane at Wings!

Nice. How do you like her Ed?

Nice. How do you like her Ed?

Like every aircraft it needs to go 15% faster. I also already realize I would like 90 gallons of fuel instead of 60. I am exactly 2 hours on a tank.

Like every aircraft it needs to go 15% faster. I also already realize I would like 90 gallons of fuel instead of 60. I am exactly 2 hours on a tank.

You could always throttle back...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh! I crack myself up sometimes.

do that, and put the rayjay turbos on it. I think Tony Scarpelli and I were getting about 170 or 175 knots out of his turbo'd 250 at like 7000 feet.

:rofl: Sounds like the calculus thought experiment. Can you go 15% faster with each new plane and ever be done?

Aren't we supposed to enjoy the time we spend flying? I only recently realized that I could pull the throttle back and not fly at 75% all the time.

Ed,

You can still get tip tanks installed via STC which will take you up to 90 gallons. It'll bring your gross weight up to 3,000 as well.

http://www.jlosborne.com/piper.htm

Yes, tip tanks on a Comanche are very nice. I am sure they are very expensive as well.

The FBO I used to instruct for used 250 Comanches with Tip tanks for prison charters. The loved the extra gas because the could go round trip without refueling and use only the discounted fuel from their own pump. I took my CFI checkride in one of these planes.

Brian

Back