EDM-701 Fuel Data

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
I have an EDM-701 in my airplane, and it will only give fuel needed/remaining to the next waypoint in the GPS, not to the destination. Is there anyway to change that?

You need to change the output format from 6 to 7. See the pilots guide on setting the GPS-C field.

Ah, I guess I should have asked what GPS you have it connected to as well. You need to make sure the format on the GPS input is set to the right thing too. No idea why, but I was assuming it was connected to a 430 and currently set to 6.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 11.40.48 AM.png

It is a 530W, so 6 or 7 should work. I was never showing any fuel flow data on the 530, I wonder if it will show up now

Make sure the RS232 input on the 530W for the EDM data is set to Shadin-fadc format and it should all be happy.

You need to get in to config mode, press and hold ENT while powering on the 530W. Rotate the small right knob to get to the "Main RS232 Config" page. You'll need to know which input it's connected to, but if it was setup before it should be one of the inputs set to Shadin-fuel or Shadin-fadc. If it's set to Shadin-fuel, you'll want to change that to Shadin-fadc now that the EDM is set to output type 7. To change it, you'd need to press the small right knob to enable cursor, then rotate the large knob to get to the field, then when on the right field, rotate the small knob to change the value and then ENT to accept the value and then press the small knob again to disable the cursor. Take a picture before you change anything and be careful not to change anything anywhere else :)

You need to get in to config mode, press and hold ENT while powering on the 530W. Rotate the small right knob to get to the "Main RS232 Config" page. You'll need to know which input it's connected to, but if it was setup before it should be one of the inputs set to Shadin-fuel or Shadin-fadc. If it's set to Shadin-fuel, you'll want to change that to Shadin-fadc now that the EDM is set to output type 7. To change it, you'd need to press the small right knob to enable cursor, then rotate the large knob to get to the field, then when on the right field, rotate the small knob to change the value and then ENT to accept the value and then press the small knob again to disable the cursor. Take a picture before you change anything and be careful not to change anything anywhere else :)

Awesome, thanks for that info. I will check that next time I am out at the airplane

These threads always seem to bring up questions I wanted to ask but forgot to since it was not terribly important as there is a work around.

Having said that, this seems like a similar problem to my EI FP5L fuel flow gauge, and am wondering if the same suggestions on my G430W configuration menu can solve it also? So my fuel to destination button gives me info on the FP5L to the next waypoint also, unless of course I’m direct to my actual destination from the start. The work around is going to the fuel to destination page on the G430w to get that info directly off the navigator, which is my SOP.

I'm much less familiar with EI than I am JPI, maybe @Dave Arata can provide better info. But I think you'd set the FP-5L to in1 and ot3 formats, and the 430W to aviation output and Shadin-fadc input to match. From my reading of the manual there is no waypoint vs destination format difference in the FP-5L manual, it indicates it's supposed to always be to destination, but given how old that design is, might just not know how to read past the current waypoint as the destination.

I tried the above changes with my 530W and FS-450 today BUT the FS-450 (contrary to the owners manual) only allows the "C" settings 1-6, with 6 being "GNS 430/530 waypoint only". Guess I will try again when my EDM-830 is installed next month.

Thanks again Ryan, flew the airplane today, and I now have a display of fuel required to destination, and how much fuel will be left at the destination.

Back