EDM 700 rebooting

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by islandboy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. islandboy

islandboy Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    islandboy
    During a short flight, the EDM 700 rebooted several times. It did so a few times during the next short test flight. Then it seemed OK again.

I'm sure it's not cured, so I'm curious if anyone has any insight into the possible cause or a suggestion for troubleshooting.

There was a vague relation between reboots and action on the comms.

2. Ryan Klems

Ryan Klems Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rowat
    I've never seen an EDM reboot except on intermittent power connection, or a low voltage dropout. Since you indicate comm's might have done it... transmit can pull a decent amount of power, which if your alternator was offline for some reason and battery was sagging could do it.... Even if alternator was working, my guess is you have low bus voltage (or at least low wherever the EDM is pulling it from) that drops below it's working threshold when transmitting.

islandboy likes this.
  3. ElPaso Pilot

ElPaso Pilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    ElPaso Pilot
    JPI states the unit shuts down at 10.5 volts.

Have you tried displaying voltage while working the coms, or downloading and looking at the data log after a failure?

https://www.jpinstruments.com/FAQCategory/voltage-issues/

Other thoughts would be to verify a solid power and ground connection to the 700.

islandboy likes this.
  4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    It is almost certain that this is low voltage or a flaky power connection. If there were no other electrical problems in the plane at the time, look for a loose or dirty power connection to the JPI.

islandboy likes this.