Edits of member posts by members of the Management Council

BTW Nick, I really liked your dare I say conciliatory post toward the MC.
I'm in too good of a mood lately to be too argumentative :D

(Unless, of course, they forged the entire thing to make it look as if you wrote it!:devil::devil::rofl:)

LOL! That actually made me chuckle out loud to myself.

Glad someone understands that.
Thank you, Nick!:smile:

Hehe, don't be too quick to thank me yet, I still think a public apology is due to the original poster (I'm too lazy to look up who it was) that actually posted something that is free to post publicly and was deleted.

But maybe that's just me. I'd have already apologized and restored the original content had I made the mistake.

LOL! That actually made me chuckle out loud to myself.
Hey, any opportunity to make you laugh, it's worth it!

Sorry we won't see you at Gaston's. Will you be able to make the "mid west" flyin in Cannon City? (We're hoping to make that.)

Hey, any opportunity to make you laugh, it's worth it!

Sorry we won't see you at Gaston's. Will you be able to make the "mid west" flyin in Cannon City? (We're hoping to make that.)

Ooh, I forgot about that....I will need to check finances and see if I can come, if I can come with someone, or if I have to sit at home and scowl :D

Ooh, I forgot about that....I will need to check finances and see if I can come, if I can come with someone, or if I have to sit at home and scowl :D
We're hoping to make it, with the East Coast (RDU) as an alternate in case of weather. Neither Leslie nor I are IFR current/proficient at the moment.

But maybe that's just me. I'd have already apologized and restored the original content had I made the mistake.
Since the OP agreed that he had erred by posting copyrighted material, and all that was removed was that material, I don't think that's necessary.

I'm in agreement with every word Jason has written on this thread.

There were some fairly well-publicized cases a few years ago where Internet sites were successfully sued over user-generated content. Their defense was "we're just a conduit" which apparently would have worked, except the sites in question had actively edited other, unrelated content so they were held responsible. Thus, the legal precedent is "If you edit anything, you must edit, and be responsible for, everything." IIRC the wording in the first quote in post #1 in this thread was specifically added to the RoC to address that issue.

Is there a way for the MC to *hide* a post to everyone but the MC and the poster until the poster can edit or delete it themselves?

Again, I think Jason is right on - There should be no editing of posts by the MC. (Not even in the cases Bill mentioned, IMHO.) It opens the MC up to liability.

Since the OP agreed that he had erred by posting copyrighted material, and all that was removed was that material, I don't think that's necessary.
Two wrongs don't make a right :skeptical:

I think a more accurate phrase for folks to use as they bandy this conversation around is: posted something in violation of its copyright. While Dilbert is indeed copyrighted material, it is arguable that posting it on a web forum under the aforementioned circumstances does not violate the terms of the copyright that is claimed.

Two wrongs don't make a right :skeptical:

I think a more accurate phrase for folks to use as they bandy this conversation around is: posted something in violation of its copyright. While Dilbert is indeed copyrighted material, it is arguable that posting it on a web forum under the aforementioned circumstances does not violate the terms of the copyright that is claimed.

And one can go further to say that since they give you the ability and steps/link to embed it elsewhere, they are actually giving permission to post it elsewhere...

For our own education, can you cite statutory or case law to support the highlighted statement? Our legal counsel seems to think otherwise.

Ron,

I would take a look at IO Group Inc. vs. Veoh Networks Inc. and provisions in the Digital Millenium Copyright Act for safe harbor. In dismissing the claim against Veoh, the court said (emphasis mine):
"Veoh has simply established a system whereby software automatically processes user-submitted content and recasts it in a format that is readily accessible to its users. Veoh preselects the software parameters for the process from a range of default values set by the thirdparty software... But Veoh does not itself actively participate or supervise the uploading of files. Nor does it preview or select the files before the upload is completed. Instead, video files are uploaded through an automated process which is initiated entirely at the volition of Veoh's users."

Essentially, a service provider who responds to complaints (or take-down notices) of infringing materials is shielded from liability by the safe harbor provisions in DMCA.

By taking an active role in modifying the content, however, this safe harbor is no longer available to the service provider.

Think of it this way, if you have a policy of taking down anything complained about, and you follow it, you're in a pretty strong position.

If you actively go out and look for material, then you open yourself to a situation where you miss infringing material that someone should have known was infringing, increasing the liability exposure.

This issue is under discussion by the MC. Don't expect an immediate answer -- we just can't do that.

I noticed another member post today edited by a member of the MC. I thought I'd check in and see where we stood on getting a stated policy.

I have no eVidensE of enny SUCH sensorship of my pists.

One should not assume that because you see that an MC member edited a post, that the MC member did so without knowledge and/or approval of the poster in question. One might even wonder if the poster in question asked the MC to review their own post.

One should not assume that because you see that an MC member edited a post, that the MC member did so without knowledge and/or approval of the poster in question. One might even wonder if the poster in question asked the MC to review their own post.

One would not have to wonder, if editor put "edited at request of OP" in the "reason for edit" box! ;-)

I think the point was to find out whether there's been any progress on the discussion y'all were having.

One did not give an indication of assumed intent, malicious or otherwise. One simply stated that one noticed another instance and asked if any progress had been made toward answering one's questions. :D:D

I don't believe that anybody made such an assumption. And I would attribute no malice to any of the parties involved. I just noticed that someone other than the original poster had edited the post, and that it was an MC member.

Since Kent got an answer to his question, I thought I'd try again. It's been weeks now with no direct reply to my question. Am I doing something wrong?

Since Kent got an answer to his question, I thought I'd try again. It's been weeks now with no direct reply to my question. Am I doing something wrong?

I almost put something in the other thread, but I figured I'd wait and see if we could bait them enough to answer one question and then go for the kill with this one. ;)

I almost put something in the other thread, but I figured I'd wait and see if we could bait them enough to answer one question and then go for the kill with this one. ;)

Yeah, no point in ambushing. I just don't understand what I've done to deserve the silent treatment. I've reread all of my posts in this thread and believe I've addressed it in a positive manner.

:dunno::dunno:

So far, only two MC members have cast votes. Can't do anything without more votes.

Thanks for the response, Ron.

So, what happens if no more votes are received? The question never gets answered and we go on using a policy that isn't really a policy? Seems that setting board direction like this should be at the forefront of MC activity.

Curious minds want to know...

Haven't you got anything else to do?

So, what happens if no more votes are received? The question never gets answered and we go on using a policy that isn't really a policy? Seems that setting board direction like this should be at the forefront of MC activity.

I guess we'd have to take a vote on what to do in that case.:D

I guess we'd have to take a vote on what to do in that case.:D

:rofl:

I hope my recent posts here in Site Feedback aren't taken as bitching by those of you on the MC. I really do appreciate what you folks do, but I really do wish you could make decisions faster than the speed of smell, at least. ;)

:rofl:

I hope my recent posts here in Site Feedback aren't taken as bitching by those of you on the MC. I really do appreciate what you folks do, but I really do wish you could make decisions faster than the speed of smell, at least. ;)

And when one of us does, and we blow it, then what? ;)

Any news on this? It's coming up on two months since I asked for clarification on these policies.

I understand that we all have other lives, but two months?

The Pilots of America Management Council will not edit its members’ posts.

If a post is determined by the MC to have violated the Rules of Conduct, the MC will delete the post, and any posts quoting the offending material, with notice to the member making the original post explaining the decision. If the post is one which is part of a thread which is being moved (for example, to the Spin Zone or to the Classifieds), and the violation is solely related to the post having been in the wrong subforum, it will likely survive the thread move.

Back