Editing Form 8500

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Ah fudge, I filled out the Medixpress form, submitted it, and realized I forgot to include a doctor visit. I'm not seeing a way to edit or revise it. Can the AME do this?

don't worry about it - just a) fill out another one if the AME has not opened it, or b) just tell him you need to amend it - as long it is disclosed before its gets to the review stage in OKC you're ok.

Unfortunately, there is no recall or edit function.

This is one of the main reasons I save to PDF. At least from that you can copy your entries and paste the information as needed into a new session.

Or, don't submit it, let it expire. Open up another Medexpress account under a different e-mail and do it over again.

Or, don't submit it, let it expire. Open up another Medexpress account under a different e-mail and do it over again.

I don't want to wait around that long and mickey mouse with email addresses. I'll just let the AME edit it then.

This is the reason that I've taken to keeping a running tally of my medical appointments --- that way I don't forget one.
(simple word document)

Ah fudge, I filled out the Medixpress form, submitted it, and realized I forgot to include a doctor visit. I'm not seeing a way to edit or revise it. Can the AME do this?

If you forgot it, it can't have been for anything very significant. You wouldn't have forgotten a doctor visit for brain cancer or something that really mattered. If it was for a cold or a sore knee, forget it. Maybe mention it to the AME who will yawn and move on. The FAA are not going to search your medical records and snatch your license for this.
Or, of course, you can pay mega $$$ to someone like Dr Bruce who will make a big deal of it and 'rectify' it with the FAA or you could listen to Ron Levy who will tell you to hire an attorney to put it right.
I am not advocating deliberate falsehood, I leave that to Dr Bruce (see the treadmill thread on the red board), I am just saying it is probably no big deal.
Stephen.

If you forgot it, it can't have been for anything very significant. You wouldn't have forgotten a doctor visit for brain cancer or something that really mattered. If it was for a cold or a sore knee, forget it. Maybe mention it to the AME who will yawn and move on. The FAA are not going to search your medical records and snatch your license for this.
Or, of course, you can pay mega $$$ to someone like Dr Bruce who will make a big deal of it and 'rectify' it with the FAA or you could listen to Ron Levy who will tell you to hire an attorney to put it right.
I am not advocating deliberate falsehood, I leave that to Dr Bruce (see the treadmill thread on the red board), I am just saying it is probably no big deal.
Stephen.

Hmmm...for many, Dr. Chien presents a value beyond the monetary cost.

Your mileage obviously varies.

Actually, I was on an SI for a while, and the visit was to clear the condition for the SI. So OKC is well aware of it.

While we are on the subject, My last medical was done after a 20 year pause in flying. I had some issues with medications for anxiety (due to Divorce),and a TIA that I had 5 years earlier. After being off the Anxiety pills for 90 days and getting a letter from my Primary Physician, I was ultimately granted the Certificate. Since I have had no issues in the last 2 years, will this one be approved in the doctor's office? Or should I expect a repeat of all the scrutiny?

While we are on the subject, My last medical was done after a 20 year pause in flying. I had some issues with medications for anxiety (due to Divorce),and a TIA that I had 5 years earlier. After being off the Anxiety pills for 90 days and getting a letter from my Primary Physician, I was ultimately granted the Certificate. Since I have had no issues in the last 2 years, will this one be approved in the doctor's office? Or should I expect a repeat of all the scrutiny?

It's a clean medical? Not a Special Issuance?

I'm not an AME, or expert of any kind, but I would expect it to be a simple re-issue then, since it's already been done once. In the medical history sections where you need to check boxes and explain, you will normally put "Previously reported - no change" on everything that you had to report on previous medicals.

(Unless you have a letter or some other documentation that tells you that you need to bring test results or other paperwork to show you are still OK.)

I'm not an AME, or expert of any kind, but I would expect it to be a simple re-issue then, since it's already been done once. In the medical history sections where you need to check boxes and explain, you will normally put "Previously reported - no change" on everything that you had to report on previous medicals.

(Unless you have a letter or some other documentation that tells you that you need to bring test results or other paperwork to show you are still OK.)

Ask your AME, but for the items the SI was about, it might be in your favor to have your primary doc write a letter to saying that you're still clear of the SI concerns and he's satisfied there are no direct or related problems at the time of that exam.

Think of it as one of the "pre-emptive strike" ways of answering any concerns the CAMI reviewer might have be they raise the question.

Just make sure that letter is only about those particular SI worms and doesn't accidently open up new cans.

Offer no information that's not required. All it can do is make problems. It won't solve any. "Previously reported, no change."

My new AME is also a physician in my healthcare organization, NOVANT, so he will have all my records for the past 2 years. I'm hoping that makes it real easy this time around...

Thanks for your input...

My new AME is also a physician in my healthcare organization, NOVANT, so he will have all my records for the past 2 years. I'm hoping that makes it real easy this time around...

Thanks for your input...

Remember that, if there ever exists ANY question of getting an "in office" issuance, you can always opt for a consultation first.

Consultations are a regular FAA exam, but keeping the confirmation code printed at the bottom of the 8500-8 form in your pocket until the doc says you pass and he will issue. Expect to pay the normal exam fee, but this is correct to pay for the doc's time/trouble.

Until the confirmation code is typed in, the exam is not a "live" or "real" one from the FAA's view, and jeopardy is not attached. So if a showstopper is discovered, you have time/opportunity to fix.

But once the exam is live, the AME can only issue, deny, or defer. And the latter 2 are not desirable outcomes.

So if the consultation has the desired "you pass" outcome, hand him the code and be issued the certificate.

Hand him a code? I haven't done anything except show up. The AME already had my med xpress 8500-8 waiting on his clipboard when I walked in.

WOW! never heard of that... but being this is only my second physical since the birth the Form, no surprise! thank you!

From all that we have seen/heard, there is nothing in the guidance materials saying that the airman must surrender the code upon entering the office.

There are some AME's and their staffs that will say you need to turn this over when you walk in, but that is not true. If they keep insisting, either gently challenge their position and help them see their error that this is not a requirement for the exam, or vote with your feet.

What the staff is wanting to do is to adapt the new system to the old ways of having your printed application in the doc's hands while the exam is being done. The consequence of this is that the exam is now live, and if it becomes a deny or defer action, jeopardy of losing all flying privileges is attached.

So the way around this is to
  1. Fill out the form on MedXpress.faa.gov
  2. Before Pressing Submit (and losing access to what you just typed)
    • Print as PDF or Save as PDF (allowing to keep a copy)
  3. Print onto paper
  4. Cut off the code at the bottom. Insert that into your wallet.
  5. Bring paper with you to AME
  6. Hand the staff the printed version, sans code
  7. If told you're gonna pass, hand over the code.

Hand him a code? I haven't done anything except show up. The AME already had my med xpress 8500-8 waiting on his clipboard when I walked in.

I was told by the receptionist who made the appointment to be sure I brought it with me... sounded like without it they couldn't complete the paperwork

I was told by the receptionist who made the appointment to be sure I brought it with me... sounded like without it they couldn't complete the paperwork

One of the major takeaways from this discussion is to never go into an AME's office with a "live" exam until you are 100% sure you are going to pass and be issued the certificate.

This is not the point in your aviation career where "winging it" is a good idea.

I've used two different AMEs since MedXpress started. Both have computers in the waiting area in case you haven't completed and submitted the 8500-8 form. In both cases unless I specifically ask for a checkup that is not a flight physical I'm not getting an exam without the 8500-8. Must be a local thing.

Must be a local thing.

Fits with what I was sharing. Many AME's understand the "lets be sure they pass first" ideal. But many don't. My advice fits well with the airmen who hook up with the "dont's"

I've used two different AMEs since MedXpress started. Both have computers in the waiting area in case you haven't completed and submitted the 8500-8 form. In both cases unless I specifically ask for a checkup that is not a flight physical I'm not getting an exam without the 8500-8. Must be a local thing.

Not a local thing, an AME thing. You'd probably have to call ahead of time for an appointment so you could spend the 30 minutes, or however long, it would take to explain to the AME that you want the exam, but you want it off the record as a consult. If he's OK with that, and the two of you settle on a price, then he can do the exam. If all the results are OK and you 'pass', then you can do it for real with the code that makes it live (and maybe pay again for the real thing). To do it this way, you'd probably need to make sure to bring in a copy of your 8500 - he might not have a way to print yours out without entering the code that make it live. Once it goes live, I'm pretty sure the AME must either issue, defer, or deny.

I've visited both of those AMEs for pre-SI consults. No 8500-8. I've used both for flight physicals. 8500-8 required. The status of the exam was established prior to the exam. I don't think they can perform a flight physical without the 8500-8 in hand since the review is part of the process. Maybe I'm wrong. Doesn't matter, my way has worked well.

I've visited both of those AMEs for pre-SI consults. No 8500-8. I've used both for flight physicals. 8500-8 required. The status of the exam was established prior to the exam. I don't think they can perform a flight physical without the 8500-8 in hand since the review is part of the process. Maybe I'm wrong. Doesn't matter, my way has worked well.
Yeah, he'll need the 8500 for review because that's part of the exam. But it can be your copy that isn't live for a consult or his copy that is live for the real thing.

Whatever works best for you and your situation with your AME.

Seems to me it's beneficial to the AME not to process the "paperwork" unless the applicant passes since not passing is only going to cause more paperwork issues for them and they generally work on a fixed fee. But I could be wrong.

Right. Ask for a pre-exam consult. Once the status of your health/exam is established, ask for the exam. It will likely cost you extra, but you know ahead of time that you will pass.

Sure, they can do a "mock exam", and then enter the code and proceed if the results are satisfactory. But I'd say that if you are concerned about failing based on the *physical exam*, it's probably wiser to get a thorough physical from your regular provider than to go to an AME for that. In my personal case the issues of concern have always been doctor visits, test results, stuff that came up in the last two years that I wanted to be sure wouldn't require a deferral or prompt a fishing expedition from OKC. If I thought the AME would find something disqualifying during the exam itself, I wouldn't even make the appointment.

BTW one caveat about pre-FAA physical consults: even if the AME is on board with doing things this way, it may be an unusual enough request that his office staff may never have had anyone try it before. So be prepared to explain the reason for your visit and keep the code to yourself until the AME gives you the green light, since the staff might well be authorized to enter it for the AME. As others have said, once the exam is live the AME is working for the FAA and there is no going back.

If anyone wants the name of an AME in SE MI who does safe pre-exam consults, PM me. I've done this at least a couple of times now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back