En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
So I noticed that EdFred's new signature line is

Aircraft Owner
Certified Flight Instructor
Worthless Airport Manager

So...is the airport worthless, or is he worthless as a manager??? :dunno::dunno::D

Remember the movie Clue?

Mrs. White: "He threatened to kill me in public."
Miss Scarlet: "Why would he want to kill you in public?"
Wadsworth: "I think she meant that he threatened, in public, to kill her."
Miss Scarlet: "Ah."

:)

Ask a member of the management council.

No, just one who said that airport managers without a degree in airport management are worthless (OK, worthless is Ed's word.)

So then why does Ed have that he is the manager of a worthless airport in his signature?

Oh wait...I get it...He is trying to say the he is a worthless manager of an airport.

I guess he should have taken English in college.

:D:D:D:D

Would a hyphen solve the problem?

I have a whole list of newspaper headlines that this reminds me of.

My favorite is:

Court to Try Shooting Juvenile

Is "shooting" a verb or a modifier? :)

I have a whole list of newspaper headlines that this reminds me of.

My favorite is:

Court to Try Shooting Juvenile

Is "shooting" a verb or a modifier? :)
Perhaps the court should work on their aim first? ;) But other than that, I am ok with the idea behind the sentence. Especially if that was the kid kicking my seat in the movie theater not too long ago. :D:D

Seems to me Ed, that you have to say one of the following to be clear:

Worthless manager at 6Y9
Manager at Worthless (6Y9) Airport
Manager at 6Y9 which is worthless

saw a book a while back "Eats shoots and leaves" ... with a panda on the front

we need Nick, he is PoA grammar police

Comma

Worthless, Airport Manager

Worthless Airport-Manager

Let us now hear from the grammarians?

Amazing. There's actually no way to fix the confusion other than by adding words.

"Worthless Manager of an Airport."

The problem is the implied meaning. You can imply wrong.

I could diagram it for you, but the diagram would depend on which meaning is implied. :dunno:

So then why does Ed have that he is the manager of a worthless airport in his signature?

Oh wait...I get it...He is trying to say the he is a worthless manager of an airport.

I guess he should have taken English in college.

:D:D:D:D

Maybe remedial english is part of the curriculum for certification as an airport manager.

Amazing. There's actually no way to fix the confusion other than by adding words.

"Worthless Manager of an Airport."

The problem is the implied meaning. You can imply wrong.

I could diagram it for you, but the diagram would depend on which meaning is implied. :dunno:

One can imply incorrectly. When it comes to using the word "you" in english, I refer you to the master, Marine Gunnery Sgt Foley in "An Officer and a Gentleman".

... and later, Ed can give me some instruction about Certified Flight. :)

--Kath

You could say "Airport Worthless Manager"
Then the adjective precedes the correct noun.

Excellent point. I wonder who teaches Uncertified Flight, though...

gee I just heard a story about uncertified flight instruction form a guy.

I cannot remember who it was but it was a story about how he and a couple of his friends bought a plane a long time ago. Only one guy could afford lessons. He would take a lesson and then teach the others what he had just learned. He then said he finally was able to take real lesson and was signed off for solo in under 5 hours with the CFI wondering how the heck he could fly so well with so few hours.

we need Nick, he is PoA grammar police

LOL - grammar nazi checking in. I noticed the signature too. Depending on what the original point was, which I assume is that he is worthless as an airport manager, a good way to word it would be:

"Worthless manager of an airport."

Dangling Modifiers are technically correct, though, just ambiguous.

gee I just heard a story about uncertified flight instruction form a guy.

I cannot remember who it was but it was a story about how he and a couple of his friends bought a plane a long time ago. Only one guy could afford lessons. He would take a lesson and then teach the others what he had just learned. He then said he finally was able to take real lesson and was signed off for solo in under 5 hours with the CFI wondering how the heck he could fly so well with so few hours.

I believe that story is from the book about Merle "Mudhole" Smith.

Back