Ed McMahon Died..........

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
What an icon of late nite television being a side kick to Johnny Carson, and doing several other MCing jobs, Publisher's Clearing House, ect.

A genuine nice guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ed McMann Died..........

A truly sad day, RIP Ed.

I can see Johnny standing next to St. Peter...

"and heeeeerrrrrrreeeeee's Eddie!"

Former Marine Fighter pilot serving in both WWII and Korea. From the Philly area where he got his start in TV.

And it's Ed McMahon...

Former Marine Fighter pilot serving in both WWII and Korea. From the Philly area where he got his start in TV.

TV, perhaps, but in Lowell, Massachusetts there was once headquartered a chain of discount stores known as Giant Stores(primarily in and around New England). On the 2nd floor of a huge rambling warehouse was a radio station broadcasting facility, WLLH(LL for Lowell-Lawrence). In that facility is where Ed McMahon got his radio start.

One of my radio-television-theater school classmates, while we were in school, was working there on a part-time basis. Those of you from that area of Massachusetts, or for many years in New Bedford area, may have heard Jack Peterson("Wacky Jacky") doing news and sports broadcasting. His birth name was Joel Polonsky, but only a few of us knew him as Joel. But Wacky Jacky turned the same "pots" at LLH as Ed McMahon had done, previously.

HR

Last edited:
You're correct Jerry. He was from Mass., but his career blossomed in Philly and he always maintained a residence close by in Stone Harbor, NJ.

Some of the schtick between him and Johny is legendary. I'll never forget the time Burt Reynolds pulled down his pants on camera with Dom Deluise, McMahon and Carson losing it. Chris Farley and company did a great satire of that on SNL. Priceless.

Last edited:
Certainly, one of the all-time BEST one-two punches in the entertainment field. I can still howl at the night Mrs. Arnold Palmer was a guest and during the interview Johnny asked if she did anything special before Arnie left for a lengthy tour. She said, "Yes, I kiss his balls;" to which Johnny didn't miss a second when he came back with, "Hmm, bet that made his putter rise." The entire studio was, in so many words, on the floor for a lengthy period - - - - Ed McMahon was beside himself with nothing to say as a follow-up.

It seems to me that after many years of the annual "Best of Carson" celebrations that particular bit was deleted from further showings.

HR

Certainly, one of the all-time BEST one-two punches in the entertainment field. I can still howl at the night Mrs. Arnold Palmer was a guest and during the interview Johnny asked if she did anything special before Arnie left for a lengthy tour. She said, "Yes, I kiss his balls;" to which Johnny didn't miss a second when he came back with, "Hmm, bet that made his putter rise." The entire studio was, in so many words, on the floor for a lengthy period - - - - Ed McMahon was beside himself with nothing to say as a follow-up.

It seems to me that after many years of the annual "Best of Carson" celebrations that particular bit was deleted from further showings.

HR
I remember this episode. We were kids, far too young to be watching Carson, overnighting at a friend's summer camp in Maine. Four teen age boys hearing that roared loud enough to wake the parents. We were laughing until we cried for breath. I still remember it much the same way, but my recollection which may be flawed I think his comment was, ..."bet that made his putter flutter." If there's a copy of that episode floating around, sign me up.

. . . . and your recollection may well be correct. At any rate, it was hilarious; as was the night Ed Ames -- "Mingo" to Fess Parker's "Daniel Boone" -- demonstrated his prowess at throwing the axe and hit the stage prop charicature right in the jewels. But, back to Ed McMahon: "RIP; you will be missed."

HR

Urban Legend. "Mrs. Arnold Palmer" (Winnie) was never on the Tonight Show.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/kissballs.asp

Another fine example of how Johnny could be hilarous without saying a word. When Leno took over it went from one extreme to the other. Johnny would let the guest take the spotlight but then nail them with an occasional zinger out of left field. By contrast Leno always tries to keep himself in the spotlight regardless of who he has on stage with him. I find Leno's style very annoying and I can't watch his shows for long before he grates on me enough to change the channel.

Another fine example of how Johnny could be hilarous without saying a word. When Leno took over it went from one extreme to the other. Johnny would let the guest take the spotlight but then nail them with an occasional zinger out of left field. By contrast Leno always tries to keep himself in the spotlight regardless of who he has on stage with him. I find Leno's style very annoying and I can't watch his shows for long before he grates on me enough to change the channel.
Good thing Leno is now off the show. I think he was on for 15 years and I cannot think of one thing he did that was a classic bit. Johnny was far funnier.

did you see his last show?

(but, yeah, I probably enjoyed Johnny Carson better)

did you see his last show?
Leno? No I stopped watching years ago. But when was the last time you heard anyone under 60 talk about how great Leno was last night? No one I work with ever brought up Leno. Letterman, Conan, John Stewart, etc. All were talked about.

Yep Leno. His last show has some funny moments. But I particularly liked the very last bit where he had more of a family moment (most of the offspring of couples who met while working the Tonight Show).

I guess the folks I work with are different, we don't talk about TV shows at all.

By contrast Leno always tries to keep himself in the spotlight regardless of who he has on stage with him. I find Leno's style very annoying and I can't watch his shows for long before he grates on me enough to change the channel.

Boy, if you didn't like Leno, you'd best not watch it now with Conan. :no: :yikes:

I always liked Leno but can't stand Conan. He's a moron.

But Leno has a garage I would kill for.

TV, perhaps, but in Lowell, Massachusetts there was once headquartered a chain of discount stores known as Giant Stores(primarily in and around New England). On the 2nd floor of a huge rambling warehouse was a radio station broadcasting facility, WLLH(LL for Lowell-Lawrence). In that facility is where Ed McMahon got his radio start.

One of my radio-television-theater school classmates, while we were in school, was working there on a part-time basis. Those of you from that area of Massachusetts, or for many years in New Bedford area, may have heard Jack Peterson("Wacky Jacky") doing news and sports broadcasting. His birth name was Joel Polonsky, but only a few of us knew him as Joel. But Wacky Jacky turned the same "pots" at LLH as Ed McMahon had done, previously.

HR
Ed actually got his start at the Jersey Shore hawking kitchen gadgets on the boardwalk. Much like that bearded guy you see on television today. I don't recall his name, Billy something, I believe. I absolutely cannot stand him and his obnoxious shouting along with the guy who promotes the absorbent cloths.

I miss both Ed and Johnny. Their humor was gut busting and they always left you with the feeling that they could have been your neighbors down the street.
Seems like the humor these days is more strident, hurtful and mean spirited.

Seems like the humor these days is more strident, hurtful and mean spirited.

As our culture has hardened, become less educated in the classics and is just plain out for themseleves, humor has become humorless.

Back