Economical Faa Medical Tests

cctsurf

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cctsurf
Because none of the tests that the FAA is requiring for my minor atrial fib problem 2 years ago (which is now entirely cleared up) were prescribed by my doctor, they won't be covered in any way. I'm trying to figure out how and where to get the testing the FAA requires done without breaking the bank. It seems that prices for medical tests can vary widely even within the same city.
Another thing, I called the FAA medical establishment prior to taking the medical and they said that I would need only one test, a 24-hour holter monitor... The AME said the same thing, noting that because my condition is entirely cleared up, he didn't feel that I should even have to go through special issuance... Should I attempt to ask the FAA to reconsider the tests that they are requiring? If so, how do I do that? It is, of course, 4th of July weekend when I get this letter finally, so I have no recourse until at least the 5th. Do I talk to the AME? Do I call the FAA? Do I sign up for AOPA legal and medical services to help me?
Thanks in Advance!
James

Not certain by any means, but I doubt your health insurance would cover anything not "medically necessary." Find out exactly what you need, then shop around for a test facility. Some will give a discount when it's self-pay, i.e. cash.

I would work thru your AME and your medical doctor. Your AME should seek clarification with FAA and then discuss with your doctor who might order these tests for you if medically indicated. Possibly these test should of been ordered. Somebody dropped the ball, but the AME could at least find out why they wanted more than he had thought.

Thank You!
I'm just at a loss here. I went forward with the medical with the information that I received from the FAA... You Know, Rule 1. I fly on a very limited budget. Now I've got a lot more to do and if I don't get them done in the next 60 days, I'll have a denied medical!
I'll have to do some comparison shopping... I'll also definitely have to speak with my AME and see what he can find out.
Thanks!
James

Do I sign up for AOPA legal and medical services to help me?
I doubt that a program like that would provide services for a situation that already exists when you sign up.

Google around. There are some internet providers. You order it, the stuff comes in a box, you put it on, you send it back Everything comes back in the mail or on the website.

As to your comment that you called the FAA and they said you only needed one, they don't make that sort of comment. You read more into it than they said. They would say, " you need a holter monitor" meaning for further consideration. Even if your echo showed a small atrium, we would wait and monitor for at least 3 years before saying it was a "lone" event. What happens in the future they never say.

For "lone Afib", the FAA follows it for five years (not 3) before cutting you loose. It is amazing how many have another episode in year 4. Your AME should know this: They will NOT be granting a waiver of the waiver. Saying "I was told only one" is wishful thinking, which does not work in aviation.

Last edited:
Yes... "Economical" ;) In the Mooney forums, we are called Cheap B......... or CBs for short.
I prefer to think of myself as economically challenged, but afflicted with the flying bug.

Just found this... I figured this testing ought to be available at a price that doesn't break the bank...

http://www.bcsheart.com/for_patients_pricing.php
Echocardiogram: $199
Treadmill Stress Test: $83 (I have to wonder if it might be higher to cover the FAA requirements)
Holter Monitor: $92 (Mine is out of date due to the time the FAA took on this)
Office Visit: $100

Total: $474 (plus or minus)

This is less than 1/4 of the lowest prices elsewhere.
I guess I've got to get myself to Texas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back