ECI Cylinders

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I have won the AD lottery with the recent recall of the ECI Classic cast cylinders.

I am now in the process of replacing the 4 jugs on my engine. ECI is offering me a 50% discount on new Titan nickel cylinders. That puts them at a really good price. But my question is are they worth it?

Are ECI cylinders decent as I am already having to replace all 4 1000 hours before TBO due to the AD saying they suffer metal fatigue, what are the chances that 1000 hours down the road I have to replace all of them again. Would it be better to fork over the extra money now (about $2500) and go with another brand and what brand?

In October of 04, while departing Scottsdale (SDL), one of the ECI (classic cast) cylinders separated just above the barrel. We declared an emergency and we were able to land on 21. Oil completely coated the windscreen so we no forward visibility but we were able to land without bending any metal. Since we lost almost all of the oil, the engine had to be torn down completely and ECI provided, at not cost to us, a whole new top end with their Titan cylinders. They also paid for the damage to the cowling. We had a total of 300 hours on that engine (O-360A4M). We now have a C-182 and when we redo the engine, we will consider the Titan cylinders for that engine.

Thanks for the input. Starting tomorrow the baby goes under the knife, err, wrench. I will be replacing the cylinders with the Titans. I will also be doing some other work since the cowls and other things will be off and it will make it easier to do instead of waiting for the annual in two months.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I have won the AD lottery with the recent recall of the ECI Classic cast cylinders.

I am now in the process of replacing the 4 jugs on my engine. ECI is offering me a 50% discount on new Titan nickel cylinders. That puts them at a really good price. But my question is are they worth it?

Are ECI cylinders decent as I am already having to replace all 4 1000 hours before TBO due to the AD saying they suffer metal fatigue, what are the chances that 1000 hours down the road I have to replace all of them again. Would it be better to fork over the extra money now (about $2500) and go with another brand and what brand?
Turns out that 3 out of 4 of the replacement had to be replaced before 350hours TIS. It would seem that the Titan solved the ECI casting problems by creating a worse cylinder head to barellel problem.

Back