eBay Rant

I've had decent success selling stuff on ebay. I've actually sold two airplanes (one ultralight and one experimental) as well as some airplane parts. Only one non paying buyer (for the experimental), relisted and sold it to somebody else.

For stuff too heavy to ship, I've sold on craigslist. Yes, people are notorious for not showing. My policy there is I don't wait around, I only schedule a pickup time if I'm going to be home anyway, and I tell people to call me when they're leaving and I give my address only then.

Although it’s less convenient and costs you gas $$$, I’d strongly suggest meeting somewhere other than your home.

Although it’s less convenient and costs you gas $$$, I’d strongly suggest meeting somewhere other than your home.

Not so practical if you're selling an unregistered car, furniture, or a large tool, and it would defeat the purpose of not wasting my time by only arranging pickup when I'm going to be home anyway. But I live far enough out in the sticks that the crazies will look for easier pickings.

As a seller I had incidents of buyers saying they never received the item and wanted their money back a while ago but if your description is clear and precise and the photos are good, you shouldn't have problems. Ebay fees, Paypal Fees and Shipping costs eat into your profits pretty quickly if you are not careful. Years ago I made 30-40K a year selling computer parts a few days a week. Unfortunately the company I purchased the parts from is out of business.

Fifteen or twenty years ago I listed a plane on eBay. Man was that a mistake. My phone rang all day, every day (and night) with tire kickers. No one who actually wanted to even see the plane, just ask questions about it even though I'd answered every possible question in the listing. And the dozen or so oddballs who weren't even interested in the plane, they just wanted to talk about airplanes. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

I used to sell my old cell phones on eBay. My last couple transactions have been horrible. At least 3 or 4 buyers in a row that didn’t pay. One wanted me to cover shipping to Europe, even though I had the shipping calculator on the listing. Another tried to scam me by putting a pending payment on my paypal account and then marking his winning bid as fraudulent so eBay would cancel the sale.

eBay needs to do a better job of account verification. None of these people care because they just open a new account for each scam. No consequences.

Yeah, lots of scammers going after the cell phones. I've had good luck selling other stuff though.

Speak of the devil... My eBay account just got hacked .I got it under control but someone bought $200 worth of stuff. I caught it in my email via PayPal and eBay alerting me to the purchase I never made.

I bought my airplane off of Craigslist. I have sold a couple of cars off of Craigslist.

Yes, with Craigslist you will get text scams and deal with various insane people. Just part of "free".

Just to contribute: Craigslist is also getting to be near useless. I know others have had better luck on Facebook’s marketplace (I’m not on FB, but a friend and my wife rave about selling on it).

Craigslist is worthless...not to mention the flagging of posts. If someone has a competing item or doesn't like your description of the item they flag it. Then Craigslist in there infinite wisdom will flag your account so if you post something from your account it won't be seen anywhere on craigslist even though it looks like you posted it in your account. Basically, a flagged post flags your entire account forever.

My wife recently started using FB Marketplace and the replies were quick and the people showed up immediately transactions went smoothly.

Craigslist is worthless...not to mention the flagging of posts. If someone has a competing item or doesn't like your description of the item they flag it. Then Craigslist in there infinite wisdom will flag your account so if you post something from your account it won't be seen anywhere on craigslist even though it looks like you posted it in your account. Basically, a flagged post flags your entire account forever.

My wife recently started using FB Marketplace and the replies were quick and the people showed up immediately transactions went smoothly.
E-bay, Craig's, and any other on line page is simply what you make of it.

Not a fan, seems like most of the new stuff comes from china, lots of misrepresented stuff, not so great sellers or buyers, I rarely use eBay anymore.

I'd rather deal with Craigslist, seems faster and I can figure out if something is what it is sposed to be before I hand my money over.

I just bought a 0-300-A crankshaft from a guy on FB, I asked where I could find one, he came right back with "I have one" He told me what it was and the price, I bought it thinking I'll have it reground if needed. and sent him a check for the amount plus shipping, I arrived Yesterday, plus his check for the overage for shipping.
I am very pleased, it is a brand new old stock crank. and I paid less than half of market value of a re-ground .010" under used 0-300-D crank from Aircraft services.
good deals are where ya find them. simply be ready to buy when you see one.

Attachments

• 3dcLnWdISt+oUzN92EG1pg.jpg
    3dcLnWdISt+oUzN92EG1pg.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 9
  • stcdIXqYRbCeF3W0dED0jQ.jpg
    stcdIXqYRbCeF3W0dED0jQ.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 9
I've bought and sold stuff on Craigslist. No problems at all I can remember. Bought my current bike on CL, sold my Goldwing there as well. Might have even gotten my tortoise Rosita that way. I've seen scams, but they're easily spotted, if something is too good to be true it probably isn't. Folks have tried to scam me, but they're easily spotted as well. "If you want the item, show up with the money. Otherwise, no deal".

I've had decent success selling stuff on ebay. I've actually sold two airplanes (one ultralight and one experimental) as well as some airplane parts. Only one non paying buyer (for the experimental), relisted and sold it to somebody else.

For stuff too heavy to ship, I've sold on craigslist. Yes, people are notorious for not showing. My policy there is I don't wait around, I only schedule a pickup time if I'm going to be home anyway, and I tell people to call me when they're leaving and I give my address only then.
Around here, it's recommended you meet craigslist seller/buyer someplace public and bring a friend, never give out your home address or phone number.

Our local PD has an area in their parking lot for meeting a CL buyer.

Our local PD has an area in their parking lot for meeting a CL buyer.

Lol, and if someone try's to hold you up at gun point the cops will probably run and hide in a fortified position, gotta go home everything and all lol

Back