Easy Outdoor Adventures?

mcmanigle

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John McManigle
So, after meaning to go for a long time, I finally flew to Ocean City NJ this weekend. Great little airport, easy 15-minute walk to the beach and boardwalk, etc.

Now I'm looking for similar places to fly in. And by "similar," I mean "outdoor fun to be had without renting a car." Beaches are easy to find on the sectional (Ocracoke is another good one from my NC days), but it's harder to use that strategy to find hiking trails, lake kayaking, etc. My best efforts to find these places have been googling and google-mapping town names from the sectional that look promising, but perhaps this is a good time for Crowdsourcing.

So, please speak up if you know of any airports that pass this three-part test:
1. Within about 150nm of Baltimore/Washington. (Flexible on this, and maybe others will care about destinations near them, so feel free to ignore this one.)
2. Outdoor-type things to do: hiking, walking, running, bicycle rentals, swimming (though a bit late for that), small boat / kayak rentals.
3. You don't need to rent a car to get there. Walking distance (and happy to walk a couple of miles if it's not on a highway or through a swamp), or friendly FBO folks who drop you off, or friendly outdoor-stuff-rental-people who pick you up, or reliable taxi people and a short-ish ride.

Thoughts?

0B8 on Fisher's Island. First bike is free, second is cheap. Less than $10.00.
BID on Block Island. ($10.00 fee if you leave the airport)
MTP, Montauk ($17.00 landing fee)
PVC, Provincetown
How are those for starters?

http://www.funplacestofly.com/

Plug in your airport and how far and then it'll list places you can go and describe what is around and how to get there. Some places will pick you up to dine at their restaurant. Some won't.

PVC, Provincetown

Some of these look great! I'll have to save up the time (= money) to get out that far... Maybe combine one with a Hudson River tour...

http://www.funplacestofly.com/

Plug in your airport and how far and then it'll list places you can go and describe what is around and how to get there. Some places will pick you up to dine at their restaurant. Some won't.

Yeah, but the vast majority of these seem to be places to eat and/or just advertising the airport or flight school. I'm all in favor of grabbing a meal, but it gets a lot more interesting if the trip can also include a half-day hiking, biking, paddling, etc.

I'll keep looking around at funplacestofly.com; maybe there's a diamond in the rough I missed...

Did you see the aopa article that came out yesterday? Free bikes at Slatington airport (69N) for the biking there. Looks interesting.

PVC, Provincetown

Shepard has mentioned some of the best locations. I would add in KMVY, Martha's Vineyard, Katama field grass strip. Also, you can hop the MVT (Martha's vineyard transit) and explore the island. Plenty of places to rent bikes, Kayaks,,,. MVY is also seasonal like many of the places listed.

Did you see the aopa article that came out yesterday? Free bikes at Slatington airport (69N) for the biking there. Looks interesting.

That's fantastic! I hadn't seen it; thanks :)

(Article here.)

I also hear N38 is great. The call it the area the Grand Canyon of PA. my flying buddy tells me there are out fitters for trail biking and kayaking that will pick you up, rent the equipment and drop you at the trail head, then pick you up again Down river. Confirm first but I hear there is lots to do up there.

Check out Nemacolin - PA88. About 120nm from the DC/Balt area. A really fun resort to fly in for the day and golf, clay shoot, off roading, ropes, climbing wall, etc.

Cumberland MD (CBE) and Mexico Farms (1w3) are not far from C&O Canal Towpath trail, which runs along the North Branch of the Potomac River. Bring your bikes, or rent some in town (http://www.ctcbikes.com/). Nice scenary and a charming little town.

Check out Nemacolin - PA88. About 120nm from the DC/Balt area. A really fun resort to fly in for the day and golf, clay shoot, off roading, ropes, climbing wall, etc.

Very nice and vey expensive.

Back