Easternshore routing to avoid ADIZ and Restricted Areas

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I'm considering flying from KLOM to KEZF (shannon)or KMRN(Stafford) both in VA south West of the ADIZ. looks like the most logical route is down the eastern side of the ADIZ and across the Chesapeak squeeze between Pautnxent NAS and the ADIZ to either field. BUT there are so many freaking restricted areas between the eastershore and the south side of the ADIZ it look like it would be like playing dodge ball. I know I know I could file and IR plan but won't this time. I really rather not futz around with filing an ADIZ flight plan and I'd rather go around. Any local flyers have any advice?

There is no way to do that without threading the various restricted areas both laterally and vertically (R-4007, the box around NAS Patuxent goes sfc-050, while the adjacent R-4006 goes 035-stratosphere). There is a 7nm-wide gap between 4007 and the ADIZ, but trying to thread that one without an ADIZ flight plan/squawk is suicide, and you'll still have to swing around south of the Dahlgren areas (R-6613's). There's just no easy way to do it VFR, and if you go IFR, they'll take you down V16 to TAPPA before turning you back northwest up V286 to Brooke VOR.

You really gotta bite the bullet on this one, file the DC ADIZ flight plan, call PXT Approach, and work with them.

Last edited:
Note that some of those restricted areas, 6611/6612/6613 are Monday-Friday (or by Notam). If they're active, I'd just go through the ADIZ.

If they're not active, you could conjure up a route outside the ADIZ that's not too painfully circuitous, but I'd still leave a wide berth from the ADIZ boundaries, and maintain a listening watch on 121.5 .
-harry

Ugh! oh well. Anyone got that link to the ADIZ course I'll probably have to take anyway. Might as well get it overwith now.

There is no way to do that without threading the various restricted areas both laterally and vertically (R-4007, the box around NAS Patuxent goes sfc-050, while the adjacent R-4006 goes 035-stratosphere). There is a 7nm-wide gap between 4007 and the ADIZ, but trying to thread that one without an ADIZ flight plan/squawk is suicide, and you'll still have to swing around south of the Dahlgren areas (R-6613's). There's just no easy way to do it VFR, and if you go IFR, they'll take you down V16 to TAPPA before turning you back northwest up V286 to Brooke VOR.

You really gotta bite the bullet on this one, file the DC ADIZ flight plan, call PXT Approach, and work with them.

Agreed.

I've flown to Shannon several times (nice little airport, BTW), and north/south IFR routing will take you pretty far east.

Coming in from the west, I file to ESL, and then direct. Always get some vectors but that's fine.

Your destination is close to the ADIZ anyway, I see no reason not to go between the ADIZ and R4007. I have done that many times. It is no big deal, just get flight following and be talking and squawking around the south side of the ADIZ. I see no "suicide" reason not to do that.

Adam,

Drive to Smoketown, rent a 150 and just fly direct, no radio, no transponder. What could happen??? No worries!

:D:D:D

Shannon in Fredericksburg, VA right? Was there a looooong time ago.

Another comment -- you'll have a better experience at Shannon. Very laid back, country airport. Enterprise has a car there -- just call EZF and let them know you're coming in. "Ramp fee" is $5 a day -- if they remember. Fuel was reasonable (IIRC ~$5.20 in August). Dog doesn't bite. 20 foot walk from ramp to car.

Your destination is close to the ADIZ anyway, I see no reason not to go between the ADIZ and R4007. I have done that many times. It is no big deal, just get flight following and be talking and squawking around the south side of the ADIZ. I see no "suicide" reason not to do that.
The "suicide" would be trying to run that gap without talking/squawking. Doing it without a DC ADIZ flight plan is risky, but not suicidal.

I've gone thru the Patuxant restricted areas. They're very nice about it. I just called up the day of the flight, asked if they would be active, told them I'd be coming, gave tail number, no problem. Even flew a few turns along the cliffs so my bro-in-law could take pix.

Your destination is close to the ADIZ anyway, I see no reason not to go between the ADIZ and R4007.
I'd have no problem doing that, either. We all have different "thresholds" for this, of course. I'm also assuming GPS navigation.
-harry

And heck, you're gonna need to take the ADIZ course by February to fly within 60 NM of the DCA VOR under VFR anyway - might as well do it now!

I've gone thru the Patuxant restricted areas. They're very nice about it. I just called up the day of the flight, asked if they would be active, told them I'd be coming, gave tail number, no problem. Even flew a few turns along the cliffs so my bro-in-law could take pix.
When the areas are cold, there's no problem going through -- PXT Approach will tell you they're cold upon being asked. However, they've shown an increasing level of Saturday activity, especially in the morning, and you often only find out about that by calling them in the air.

Back