Eastern stops - PA, OH, IN

jdangel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JeffInBoston
Any opinions/other thoughts on the following route other than it is a ton of flying for one day?

Leaving Tuesday morning early from Chatham, MA (Cape Cod).

Day one will get me to KDBQ (Dubuque, IA) and day two in the morning will take me to Ripon/Fisk.

Thinking about this route:

http://runwayfinder.com/?loc=kcqx;n27;kaoh;kdbq&view=vfr

Any PA or OH pilots or others have favorite stops along this route? Weather/winds, fatigue might make me stop short of DBQ so even good places in Indiana, Ohio would be great.

Flying a cherokee 180.

Thanks,
Jeff

The leg over PA will be fairly quiet and somewhat desolate. You're too far north to get mid-day washboard effect from westerly winds, but towering CU will build after 11 AM on a typical summer day.

The leg over PA will be fairly quiet and somewhat desolate. You're too far north to get mid-day washboard effect from westerly winds, but towering CU will build after 11 AM on a typical summer day.

Dan: Is the suggestion to go earlier, or end earlier or change the route? Thanks for the feedback as the PA stretch is the one that I sweat over because I don't want to get too far south and ride out the bumps the whole way through.

Dan: Is the suggestion to go earlier, or end earlier or change the route? Thanks for the feedback as the PA stretch is the one that I sweat over because I don't want to get too far south and ride out the bumps the whole way through.

It's really not that bad (I've done KWAY to KLNS and back countless times), but in summer, earlier is better over PA, period.

There's significant lifting over the ridges with any westerly wind. Toss in heat and humidity -- lots of bumpy clouds.

Jeff I've flown late afternoon from KLOM to Latrobe ( Bascially from South Eastern PA to South Western PA )and haze was more of an issue than the bumps it all depends on the temps if you stay high enough you can avoid both. Dan is right that the southern route will generate a bit more bumps and TCU in the after noon and even earlier of condidtions are right.

I've also flown from the south eastern corner of PA to right about where you are crossing into OH. We landed in Franklin County ( KFKL) for fuel and lunch and had to wait out some nasty stuff last laborday but it passed and we got to western Michigan before night fall.

Not sure what you will be flying but I'll make a recommendation for lunch or a food break and that's Cherry Ridge Airport N30 about 236nm from Chatham. The airport cafe is great and its a very quaint setting. Its really not to far south from your planned route. If you get there too early and want lunch further west try KFKL Venango Franklin County. Huge runways nice pilot lounge and the restaurant there Primo Barones is good. I recommend both.

Not sure what you will be flying but I'll make a recommendation for lunch or a food break and that's Cherry Ridge Airport N30 about 236nm from Chatham. The airport cafe is great and its a very quaint setting. Its really not to far south from your planned route. If you get there too early and want lunch further west try KFKL Venango Franklin County. Huge runways nice pilot lounge and the restaurant there Primo Barones is good. I recommend both.

I can second this recommendation!

:thumbsup:

Once you get past Chester County PA, just firewall the damn thing until you get to Denver, CO. Nothing to see past there, especially Ohio. Stop only for fuel if you have to. Ferry tanks, and piddle packs are your friend. Trust me I've done it many times.

:D

Once you get past Chester County PA, just firewall the damn thing until you get to Denver, CO. Nothing to see past there, especially Ohio. Stop only for fuel if you have to. Ferry tanks, and piddle packs are your friend. Trust me I've done it many times.

:D

He's flying a Cherokee -- what can firewalling it do?

:rolleyes:

If I firewall it I will just run out of fuel sooner. Luckily there are all those fields in Indiana to land on ;)

I have a feeling now that I plan more that I will be spending the night in Indiana instead of Iowa, because it is way too much flying in one day to make it to Iowa.

I have heard very good things as well about N30 airport cafe, but unfortunately it is only open on the weekend.

Last edited:
Back