Easter reflections while flying

SmallPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
As I reflect on Easter, sometimes when I'm flying I talk with those I’ve lost as I feel I'm a little closer to heaven. Anyone else have this feeling when they fly?

As a function of flying/being aloft? No. As a function of general sense of human mortality? Absolutely, increasingly more and more as my own unstoppable aging overcomes me emotionally, and my own older loved ones age and die.

The only angle where flying comes into play for me, is feeling a sense of gratitude and honor to still be able to fly, especially after I've buried coworkers and friends in this line of work. But again, that's a carpe diem motivation and not related to physically being aloft, from my vantage point on this topic as someone no longer bound by a theist framework.

All to say, at a humanist level, I completely relate to what you're saying/pointing at. You're not alone my friend, pun very much intended. :thumbsup:

We don't have an equivalent holiday in Santeria, so it's a little hard to relate. You would -think- an appropriate Easter sacrifice would be a rabbit, but no. Generally chickens suffice. Goats are for really big picture issues.

But tomorrow, I am going to sacrifice a pig. Technically, one and a half pigs, because I have three racks of spare ribs that are going in to the smoker. And by the way, strictly by the Old Testament, Jesus would not approve of ribs, but only because of health issues that were in place at the time of his advocacy.

We don't have an equivalent holiday in Santeria, so it's a little hard to relate. You would -think- an appropriate Easter sacrifice would be a rabbit, but no. Generally chickens suffice. Goats are for really big picture issues.

But tomorrow, I am going to sacrifice a pig. Technically, one and a half pigs, because I have three racks of spare ribs that are going in to the smoker. And by the way, strictly by the Old Testament, Jesus would not approve of ribs, but only because of health issues that were in place at the time of his advocacy.
I keep telling my rabbi that it’s really difficult to make a decent grilled ham & cheese on matzoh during Passover. And kosher for passover brownies are crappy.

Back