Easter Eggs at your airport

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I put this on the local board but I am curious about other "Easter eggs" you know about with regard to flying.

I am not sure where this is published or how I would get this information about other fields.

I flew with Pilot Tango Charlie a week or so ago and we landed at KDTO after the tower was closed for the night.

He showed me something that I found to be really cool.
Once the tower closes, the denton ground Frequency relays to DFW regional approach.

We were IFR, the tower was closed, he switched to ground and sure enough approach answered and he closed his flight plan with them.

Anyone know if this is common and if other fields have "Easter eggs" like this?

Thanks!

I put this on the local board but I am curious about other "Easter eggs" you know about with regard to flying.

I am not sure where this is published or how I would get this information about other fields.

I flew with Pilot Tango Charlie a week or so ago and we landed at KDTO after the tower was closed for the night.

Once the tower closes, the denton ground Frequency relays to DFW regional approach.

We were IFR, the tower was closed, he switched to ground and sure enough approach answered and he closed his flight plan with them.

Thanks!

We have a repeater for SLC approach on the field here.... After hours you just call them up on 133.25 and get a clearance , release or close a flight.... Easy pleasy

Last edited:
We have a Ground Communications Outlet (GCO) at my field now. It's similar to an RCO, but uses a device that connects your aircraft's radio through phone lines to our controlling ARTCC. This allows pilots to pick up clearances on the ground through their radio, as well as closing out flight plans. I've noticed them appearing at more and more airports lately. If you aren't familiar with their operation, you should become so...handy to use.

I think those jerks at Winchester have the PCL on a different frequency than the CTAF...bastages... :D

Either that or the lights just were not working that night.

Last edited:
I have attempted to use GCO at probably 3-4 different airports. I have NEVER had one work!

All FBO's at uncontrolled airports should have a big freakin sign on the ramp detailing the best way to get in touch with local ATC to obtain/cancel a clearance. GCO freq (if it works) phone number etc...

If I am in an unfamiliar area and know i'll likely need to cancel on the ground, i'll ask ATC for the best way to get in touch with them on the ground. Workload permitting (mine and theirs).

You can always call the national clearance delivery hotline number, but that always takes more time than if you have a direct phone number or frequency.

I have attempted to use GCO at probably 3-4 different airports. I have NEVER had one work!

All FBO's at uncontrolled airports should have a big freakin sign on the ramp detailing the best way to get in touch with local ATC to obtain/cancel a clearance. GCO freq (if it works) phone number etc...

Murfreesboro, TN is like that. I think it is a sheet of plywood painted yellow with black lettering. Right next to the gas pump, which is right in front of the FBO.

Thanks!

ALN has STL approach.

If I am in an unfamiliar area and know i'll likely need to cancel on the ground, i'll ask ATC for the best way to get in touch with them on the ground. Workload permitting (mine and theirs).

You can always call the national clearance delivery hotline number, but that always takes more time than if you have a direct phone number or frequency.

I ask this seriously, but are you sure you're trying to get it to work correctly? If you don't click the mike just so, it absolutely won't work, period. That being said, the devices DO have their problems, but when they work, they are awesome.

To address your other issue, we don't have a direct line to call...you have to use the nationwide number if you don't use the GCO and it's hard IFR out. Otherwise, any map or app now will easily provide you with the frequency for the overlying ARTCC or Approach Control (if you can get off the ground VFR that is). We used to have the signs, but were required to take them down (for an unrelated reason). We're working to get them back up.

I think those jerks at Winchester have the PCL on a different frequency than the CTAF...bastages...

Either that or the lights just were not working that night.

What night was it? We did just recently have one night when the regulator for the runway lights failed. Other than that, the new lights only have two settings, medium and high intensity, and the PCL is 122.8 just like unicom. Lights in Tennessee burn from sunset to sunrise otherwise, no off/on PCL.

I ask this seriously, but are you sure you're trying to get it to work correctly? If you don't click the mike just so, it absolutely won't work, period. That being said, the devices DO have their problems, but when they work, they are awesome.

To address your other issue, we don't have a direct line to call...you have to use the nationwide number if you don't use the GCO and it's hard IFR out. Otherwise, any map or app now will easily provide you with the frequency for the overlying ARTCC or Approach Control (if you can get off the ground VFR that is). We used to have the signs, but were required to take them down (for an unrelated reason). We're working to get them back up.

Care to expand on why the signs came down???:dunno:.....:confused:

Care to expand on why the signs came down???:dunno:.....:confused:

The signs we had existing were attached to posts with non-frangible bases. This was deemed as unsafe during an inspection by TDOT on behalf of the FAA (as per the usual every year). We were asked to take them down and replace the metal sign posts with something different. Additionally, the frequencies on the signs were no longer current, so that needed to be addressed as well. This did not happen until after the signs were down, and since I haven't been able to get an answer as to whether or not the frequencies which were changed by the FAA will be returning to their original frequencies, I haven't bother to reinstall the signs yet. (as a further rant, the FAA has not updated the information on charts or approach plates since changing these frequencies 4 months ago)

You can always wait until they call you. Just make sure you have your ringer on.

This was a couple of years ago. i was doing an evening flight from Fayetteville to buy some of your cheap gas (love it!). I've used lots of PCL before, and yes some are slow & deliberate. Some are faster. Some only work with three. Some only work with five clicks. I tried every combo I could think of and could not get them to work. I was SO temped to just land and not worry about it. It was clear night with a full or nearly full moon.

I think it was right about the time you repainted the lines.

Jim

This was a couple of years ago. i was doing an evening flight from Fayetteville to buy some of your cheap gas (love it!). I've used lots of PCL before, and yes some are slow & deliberate. Some are faster. Some only work with three. Some only work with five clicks. I tried every combo I could think of and could not get them to work. I was SO temped to just land and not worry about it. It was clear night with a full or nearly full moon.

I think it was right about the time you repainted the lines.

Jim

We didn't have PCL up until about 3 months ago when the LED lights went online. We do the best we can here, but every once in awhile there'll be a gremlin that we weren't prepared for. We're still the cheapest around...come back! ;)

Airport I learned to fly out of was close enough to the local Class C airport that I could pick up the IFR clearance from the local approach control frequency on the ground.

Ah, no PCL back then, so they were just out that night!

Not just the cheapest, you also have 24 hour self serve. I love that too!

I'll second that Winchester, TN airport is an easter egg itself... Great group of people, great FBO, great fuel prices, very well-kept airport, nice town, and easy-in/easy-out.

Virtually any east/west or north/south flight should make a fuel stop in Winchester, TN!

PS: The lights worked fine for me... very bright and well lit :yes:

Back