Early flight planning.

gsfan23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gsfan23
OK, guys (gals), I follow, but rarely have anything worthwhile to pitch in and say so I rarely ever post. However I was just given a flight planning idea that I would like some input.
Here is the scenario:
My sister called me the other night and said that for our parent's 40th wedding anniversary they are planning a huge family reunion in Yellowstone, Montana. My family has history of visiting there. Anyway, it will happen next June, so I have time to save up and plan. My question I am throwing out for ideas is this: I have never flown a huge adventure like this although I have always wanted to. I will probably fly in a Piper Arrow if I am able to swing it, and I will have my 7 year old son with me. I have a rough idea of stopping points for fuel, but want to make a great time seeing stuff/ have a $100 hamburger or a teaching experience along the way for my son. I'm looking for ideas for places to stop that are more than just an FBO. I figure a stop in MO for fuel, but are there any places that have a good place to eat? Anyway, any input is gladly taken, I will be adding hours and flying, so it is always fun.

Sounds like a fun trip! Where are you starting from?

Well, for starters it would Eli if you told us your point of departure so we can know your basic route. But since you're thinking a stop in MO, I'm deducing that you'll be starting in the south-east...

In SE MO, a good food stop is Lambert's near KSIK. They'll pick you up for free at the airport and bring you in the back door to skip the 2-hour line.

In that area as well is Sandy's Place at KCGI. Nice little cafe right on the airport.

Up by St. Louis, you have Spinner's at KCPS. There is also a nice little aviation museum on the other side as well.

The other side of the state, well actually just inside Kansas and a bit south of K.C, is a great BBQ place called We-B-Smokin' at K81. During college I logged a lot of hours to/from that place getting a great country breakfast or wonderful BBQ sandwiches and ribs...

Sounds like fun. I guess if you said a possible stopping point is MO, you're coming from the southeast?

Easiest advice with the information given, treat it as a bunch of individual cross-country flights, all separate. New weather, new go/no-go decision at each stop. Be willing to call it a day if weather disagrees with your schedule.

Once we know where you're coming from, better enroute ideas will emerge. And how far you might like to go out of your way to make the flight as direct as possible, considering terrain and fuel stops.

Oh, and if you'll be a bit more North (central IL), then I can't speak highly enough of The Main Hangar at KDEC.

In SW MO, I've heard wonderful things about Hangar Kafe at MO9. I sure hope to have some first-hand insight into this one soon...

Sorry, Forgot to say I am Coming from KMBT in TN. I know about Lamberts, stopped there a few times in the Army. I an not really set at a route yet, as its a year out, but just want some ideas to keep in mind.

We went VFR from WV a few years ago, as direct as possible to the BIL VOR [Billings, MT]. A deviation to KRAP for Mt. Rushmore will be worthwhile, then you will fly past Devil's Tower as you leave.

There's an impressive mountain chain not too far south of Billings [I forget if it's the Absarokas or Bearteeth] that you may need to deviate slightly east to get past. The peaks are 13-14K. From BIL, it's a short trip due west then you can follow the valley south to KCOD [Cody, WY] and a short drive to the East Entrance. There's surprisingly a lot to do in Cody besides the rodeo every night.

It's a great trip, you'll have a blast. We allowed three days to fly and sightsee in each direction; if just flying, two days would have been more than enough to cover the 1320 nm.

Two days is what I was figuring, but might make it longer just to see places I've never been to. It will be fun planning it and taking the trip.

Plan lots and lots of time before and after for weather delays. Remember the old adage, "if you're in a hurry, drive."

Two days is what I was figuring, but might make it longer just to see places I've never been to. It will be fun planning it and taking the trip.

Our trip was three vacations in one. Three days flying and sightseeing going out. Five days running around Cody & Yellowstone. Three more days flying and sightseeing a slightly different route home.

Fun times! Even got weathered in and diverted to Lincoln, IL; borrowed a very memorable courtesy van, drove to the Holiday Inn to check radar, and there was a Russell Stover outlet in front of the hotel. Made my wife's day! Plus we rode down Route 66 from the airport to the hotel and back. You never know what you will find . . .

Back