Early 4th of July celebration

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
How many of you are experiencing early neighborhood fireworks? It sounds like the Tet Offensive here and my dog, a German Shorthaired Pointer, i.e. hunting dawg, whom is not gun shy, is cowering under my desk as I type. Its June for G*ds sake!

P.S. I have no problem with fireworks any time of year, just curious.

P.S.S. This is NOT soccer mom approved.

Well, if you didn't live in dadgum yuppie-ville, crap like that wouldn't be happening, Anthony! :) You get further up in the hills, and we all start shootin' back at the first sounds of incoming rounds....
Sorry to tell you, but this is just the beginning of 7-10 days of feeling like you're on the firing line...

we are.
Next to us is the county park, usually a 'nice neighbor', but during the 4th we get fireworks past 2am every year.

Curmudgeons that we are, we asked the county today if they would consider closing the park sometime after dark, so we could get a bit of peace but they say, 'That's a public place, we can't close that" I felt like asking if I could root through his office tonight after 5; its a public property.

gkainz said:
Well, if you didn't live in dadgum yuppie-ville, crap like that wouldn't be happening, Anthony! :) You get further up in the hills, and we all start shootin' back at the first sounds of incoming rounds....
Sorry to tell you, but this is just the beginning of 7-10 days of feeling like you're on the firing line...

Greg, too funny! Thankfully, I swallered my coffee before I read your post.

gkainz said:

Ha! If it were up to me I'd live in the mountains, but I gotta get to work. And you ain't kidden, this is yuppieville central. Sigh.

Not very conducive to the AR out the window. The dog is seriously worried and he is a gun dog! I'm going to patrol the perimeter very soon, with the dog. :)

Please send Claymores and Puff the Magic Dragon.

Anthony said:
Ha! If it were up to me I'd live in the mountains, but I gotta get to work.
Yeah, that's why I'm just in the foothills and not further up the mountain...figure I wouldn't be fit to live with after fighting my way up and down Hwy 285 or I-70 every day times 2 ...
I realized tonight that Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest" theory is pure, unadulterated crap. If it were really true, all the little chickiepoos that I had to dodge on the highway tonight, the ones with one hand full of cell phone, lips flapping at 90 mph while they drive 80 mph, the other hand full of cigarette, no hands on the wheel and struggling like hell to shift would all have been eliminated.... but NO! They're EVERYWHERE!!!! ARGHHHHHH!!!!! :eek:

gkainz said:
Yeah, that's why I'm just in the foothills and not further up the mountain...figure I wouldn't be fit to live with after fighting my way up and down Hwy 285 or I-70 every day times 2 ...
I realized tonight that Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest" theory is pure, unadulterated crap. If it were really true, all the little chickiepoos that I had to dodge on the highway tonight, the ones with one hand full of cell phone, lips flapping at 90 mph while they drive 80 mph, the other hand full of cigarette, no hands on the wheel and struggling like hell to shift would all have been eliminated.... but NO! They're EVERYWHERE!!!! ARGHHHHHH!!!!! :eek:

Nobody shifts anymore. I am convinced the automatic transmission is a product designed by cell phone companies, local newspapers (maybe US Today too), cosmetic manufacturers, fast food joints, cigarette companies and basically anyone else who wants to encourage "hands off" driving. And I agree with your assessment of Darwin under those circumstances as well. Drive a Hummer, survive all sorts of stupid inattentive driving!

For heaven's sake, we TRAIN to do other things while flying, like programming a GPS. These people are rank, and very dangerous, amateurs. Sorry. Rant on subject over.

We sound like leftovers from WWII here, for about a week before the holiday to several weeks afterward. I love fireworks, but my poor dog hates them. He gets lots of doggie drugs for the next few weeks. And I live out in the sticks, so rural vs. urban doesn't help. I would shoot back, but they are probably better armed than I.

Jim G

Anthony said:
Ha! If it were up to me I'd live in the mountains, but I gotta get to work. And you ain't kidden, this is yuppieville central. Sigh.

Not very conducive to the AR out the window. The dog is seriously worried and he is a gun dog! I'm going to patrol the perimeter very soon, with the dog. :)

Please send Claymores and Puff the Magic Dragon.

Anthony,

Go out, get a large (2') section of iron pipe. Preferably thick walled, too.

Tack weld (or JB weld) a metal plate on one end.

Drill a small (1/4") pilot hole in the side.

Get a can of car starting fluid.

Tap a piece of Aeroquip hosing into the pilot hole, and get a screw-on end cap for said hose.

Spray starter fluid down Aeroquip hose, and throw M-80's (black cat fire crackers are for sissies) down the hole.

The whole neighborhood will think you have a Howitzer in your backyard!

For extra effect, suspend some flour dust in the air (through a double cheesecloth) just before you set the cannon off. If you get enough of a fireball coming out of the cannon, the dust will go up in a mighty fireball. I came very close to being arrested doing this in high school.

When we go to Maine for the 4th, Jessie's father breaks out his cannon. It's brass, about 250#, and small, about 2' long. We fire it off 20 or 30 times on the beach. It's LOUD.

"Celebrate the independance of your nation by blowing up a small chunk of it" - The Simpsons

Cheers,

-Andrew

grattonja said:
We sound like leftovers from WWII here, for about a week before the holiday to several weeks afterward. I love fireworks, but my poor dog hates them. He gets lots of doggie drugs for the next few weeks. And I live out in the sticks, so rural vs. urban doesn't help. I would shoot back, but they are probably better armed than I.

Jim G

I love fireworks too. No problem with people having fun with them. The dog on the other hand, like yours, does NOT like them. His "safe" place is at my feet under the desk. He's used to hearing gun shots in the field, but that's when he's outside, distracted and having a ball. In the house, fireworks and/or thunder makes him seek out mommy or daddy for protection. :)

At least our canine friends and owners can be thankful they don't have to put up with this day in, day out, for a lot longer than a week or so in the summer, as some elsewhere in the world sadly must.

Which...in a long and convoluted fashion, brings up an old thread that was on the AOPA board a while back about ear protection for dogs so Rover could more comfortably copilot on that next float trip into the backwoods. I think it's a great idea on many fronts. Dave Clark ANRs for Dogs...useful in the airplane, for thunderstorms, for sporting events, and fireworks displays. Bring them on! :yes:

Happy Independence and Canada Day weekend!

terry

grattonja said:
Nobody shifts anymore. I am convinced the automatic transmission is a product designed by cell phone companies, local newspapers (maybe US Today too), cosmetic manufacturers, fast food joints, cigarette companies and basically anyone else who wants to encourage "hands off" driving. And I agree with your assessment of Darwin under those circumstances as well. Drive a Hummer, survive all sorts of stupid inattentive driving!

For heaven's sake, we TRAIN to do other things while flying, like programming a GPS. These people are rank, and very dangerous, amateurs. Sorry. Rant on subject over.

Jim G

I shift. I actually had to fight with our salesman to get a stick shift. He kept showing me automatics despite my instructions until we quit dealing with him, then he called us up with a stick shift Matrix.

We train to do multiple things at once, but we don't train to do it while formation flying!!

And as for fireworks, the more of 'em and the noiser, the better!!!! What better way to say "Happy Birthday America" than with explosives? I've got no problem making dogs cower :D

astanley said:
Anthony,

Go out, get a large (2') section of iron pipe. Preferably thick walled, too.

Tack weld (or JB weld) a metal plate on one end.

Drill a small (1/4") pilot hole in the side.

Get a can of car starting fluid.

Tap a piece of Aeroquip hosing into the pilot hole, and get a screw-on end cap for said hose.

Spray starter fluid down Aeroquip hose, and throw M-80's (black cat fire crackers are for sissies) down the hole.

The whole neighborhood will think you have a Howitzer in your backyard!

For extra effect, suspend some flour dust in the air (through a double cheesecloth) just before you set the cannon off. If you get enough of a fireball coming out of the cannon, the dust will go up in a mighty fireball. I came very close to being arrested doing this in high school.

When we go to Maine for the 4th, Jessie's father breaks out his cannon. It's brass, about 250#, and small, about 2' long. We fire it off 20 or 30 times on the beach. It's LOUD.

"Celebrate the independance of your nation by blowing up a small chunk of it" - The Simpsons

Cheers,

-Andrew

Now that's some serious ordinance! Jeez Andrew! I can see the police cars pulling up to the house now.

Then the press inteviewing the neighbors..."he was a quiet man, always said Hello".....

:)

Joe Williams said:
I shift. I actually had to fight with our salesman to get a stick shift. He kept showing me automatics despite my instructions until we quit dealing with him, then he called us up with a stick shift Matrix.

We train to do multiple things at once, but we don't train to do it while formation flying!!

And as for fireworks, the more of 'em and the noiser, the better!!!! What better way to say "Happy Birthday America" than with explosives? I've got no problem making dogs cower :D

Me too, on the shifting department. I don't really care for automatics. They try to tell me what to do and when. If I want to go through that sweeping turn at 70 MPH in 3rd, I want to do it. I don't want to go into 4th half way through. Besides, a Mustang GT with an automatic is just not right. I figure that the stick shift helps to keep my mind in the game. I don't have a cell phone. I prefer to drive when I drive.

Jim G

Anthony said:
Now that's some serious ordinance! Jeez Andrew! I can see the police cars pulling up to the house now.

Then the press inteviewing the neighbors..."he was a quiet man, always said Hello".....

Science class was boring. Playing science in the garage before my parents got home was exciting! Fireworks are illegal in MA so you have to go out and create your own. Rocket motors (which one could buy at the hobby shop) led to endless hours of fun. We tried building or own fireworks out of rockets, which never really got anywhere.

The 2' pipe creates a great, deep, booming sound if you get the right amount of starter fluid in there. I don't know how we got out of that one, but somehow, we did. We lost our brick of M-80's though, that stunk.

I'm surprised I have 10 fingers and eyesight still...

Cheers,

-Andrew

gkainz said:

Hey, but I have to deal with minivans with the soccer balls on the back and goose-stepping Home Owner's Assoc's! But...you are closer to Boulder than I am. :rofl:

grattonja said:
Me too, on the shifting department. I don't really care for automatics. They try to tell me what to do and when. If I want to go through that sweeping turn at 70 MPH in 3rd, I want to do it. I don't want to go into 4th half way through. Besides, a Mustang GT with an automatic is just not right. I figure that the stick shift helps to keep my mind in the game. I don't have a cell phone. I prefer to drive when I drive.

Jim G

I haven't had an automatic since my first car back in '72 but there are times (like stop & go on the freeway) when I yearn for one. Maybe a paddle shifter.

Anthony said:
How many of you are experiencing early neighborhood fireworks? It sounds like the Tet Offensive here and my dog, a German Shorthaired Pointer, i.e. hunting dawg, whom is not gun shy, is cowering under my desk as I type. Its June for G*ds sake!

P.S. I have no problem with fireworks any time of year, just curious.

P.S.S. This is NOT soccer mom approved.

Its started here already. Last night I was video taping a dress rehersal of my daughter's play and about half way through it someone outside started setting off bottle rockets. Lasted about a half hour. Now I'll have to go back next week to tape it again. Sigh...

lancefisher said:
I haven't had an automatic since my first car back in '72 but there are times (like stop & go on the freeway) when I yearn for one. Maybe a paddle shifter.

I don't know HOW to drive an automatic, neither does my wife, but she's not a cell phone yacker like all the other woman out there. They just can't help themselves. I am now a :target:

Anthony,

Jeez, Denver didn't even exist in 1776.

:<)

Len

PS - Independence Day is my favorite holiday!

Anthony said:
But...you are closer to Boulder than I am. :rofl:
Ouch! That was a low blow! :p Guess I'll have to slip on my birkenstocks and walk over to Wild Oats for some of that $30 a pound salad bar for lunch!

Anthony said:

followed by:

but ya know he did fly one of them small planes and I don't think he ever
filed a flight plan.

greg

Fireworks and gunshots sound the same around here.

astanley said:
Science class was boring. Playing science in the garage before my parents got home was exciting! Fireworks are illegal in MA so you have to go out and create your own. Rocket motors (which one could buy at the hobby shop) led to endless hours of fun. We tried building or own fireworks out of rockets, which never really got anywhere.

2 estes engines, duct tape and a hammer. There's your firework right there. Place that as the stage 2 engine and sacrifice 2 mice before pushing the launch button on a really long cord at night. That second stage just doesn't do the controlled burn properly for some reason...

astanley said:
I'm surprised I have 10 fingers and eyesight still...

Yep. Some innocent kids fell over dead for no observable reason just so the Universe could keep the law of averages in balance for what we did and got away with. You do NOT want to know what we did that a 5 ground hog, 1 turkey and a 20 mice sacrifice couldn't handle...

On th old AOPA board someone posted a hilarious story about rockets or fireworks. Was it Ken Ibold, Mr. Safety? I think it was.

Len. In 1776, they weren't even fighting the Indians yet in Denver. Nobody was here! Fast forward 100 years and there was a lot going on.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
On th old AOPA board someone posted a hilarious story about rockets or fireworks. Was is Ken Ibold, Mr. Safety? I think it was.

This one? I posted it over there a while back.

Back