EAR takes a direct hit

MarkL

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MarkL
Kearney (EAR) NE took a direct hit by a Tornado tonight. I got my PP at EAR many many years ago. AP is closed, debris across the field, and I saw on TV news at least one business jet under a collapsed hangar. Once I get photos I will share.

Local current metar... it's coming....
KLNK 300254Z 19041G53KT 10SM CLR 24/17 A2957 RMK AO2 PK WND 19053/0254 TSE0158 PRESFR SLP003 60000 T02440167 58049

I think I heard Jesse mumble something about wanting to go fly tonight since it's calmed down between storms.... in the 150 :eek:

He's trying to talk me into storm chasing tonight. :hairraise:

I went out and tracked the 8:00 PM storm from Pawnee Lake. Nothing exciting, 30 min of blah blah video. A wall cloud was about it. At least I got to mess some more with my new High Def camcorder.

Wow, I've been there....neat airport (even if they didn't have a current sectional to sell). Hope they get it up and running quickly.

Man, sorry to hear that. Jesse going storm chasing reminds me of some video I saw last week of a tornado from a news chopper. I know I wouldn't want to be that close, though I'm sure they have a really good zoom on that thing!

53008sqstorm2.jpg

Hangar collapses on N369B a Citation X for The Buckle . ** sigh **

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N369B

My brother is a web admin for The Buckle. He is authorized (check that...was authorized) to take this plane if the remote servers crashed. Actually they had 2 Citations, the other one took off for Colorado before the storm hit.

Bummer. I never landed there but listed it as an alternate on several occasions.
ApacheBob

He's trying to talk me into storm chasing tonight. :hairraise:

When I was based out of Harrison AR there was a NOAA guy that came in with a T-28 that was flying through thunderstorms for research when there was some supercell activity coming. One flight he came back and the plane was totalled...there wasn't a square inch that wasn't beaten to death by hail, top and bottom. Had some interesting conversations with him, learned a lot.

When I was based out of Harrison AR there was a NOAA guy that came in with a T-28 that was flying through thunderstorms for research when there was some supercell activity coming. One flight he came back and the plane was totalled...there wasn't a square inch that wasn't beaten to death by hail, top and bottom. Had some interesting conversations with him, learned a lot.

Is that the one that would go out trying to get lightening strikes ? :hairraise:

Is that the one that would go out trying to get lightening strikes ? :hairraise:

That plane was wired for everything, but from what I gathered his main mission on that trip was convective currents.

Back