Ear Molds for Halo Headset

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I am thinking of getting some custom fit ear molds to work with my Halo Headset.

Where would I start looking to find a place to create these? Is there a local sort of operation (hearing aid store, firearm supplier, other?) that can help with this?

What online sources would help?

I would check hearing aide or audiologist shop. Phil recommends against, however.

I don't often have much luck getting a hold of Phil. As it's almost Oshkosh time, if you're going, just go see him at his booth. It's the best way to get ahold of him to ask questions. There are a couple of vendors who make the custom ear molds who are at Oshkosh also. So you can check both off at the same time.

Oh? I'll have to go prowl his site to find out why.

From http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=13:

Do I need custom earmolds?
NO...Custom earmolds are not recommended for the following reasons...
  1. They take time and effort to get
  2. A FULL 30% of all earmolds leak somewhat. The noise spectrum that enters the ear canal with small leaks are the low frequencies...engine noise.
  3. IF you get a good seal, that means it is pneumatic and cannot equalize pressure at various altitudes
  4. they cost range from $80 to $200 / pair making the experiment an expensive one.
Stick with the foams if at all possible.

I don't often have much luck getting a hold of Phil. As it's almost Oshkosh time, if you're going, just go see him at his booth. It's the best way to get ahold of him to ask questions. There are a couple of vendors who make the custom ear molds who are at Oshkosh also. So you can check both off at the same time.
Unfortunately, no AirVenture for me. But thanks for the info.

Radians custom ear molds. Cheap and easy to get from Amazon or the like.

I recently posted a thread involving the use of my 'in ears' - I have in ear monitors or an 'in-ear molded' headset that I want to incorporate into my 'DIY headset', which I used when I worked in the music biz. They are great. They're mostly used by musician's or those who work in loud places (used for ear plugs). They cancel out nearly all noise and suppliers can install drivers (speakers inside each mold) that, depending on how many drivers you choose, give you greater clarity and sound.

Check out Ultimate Ears or JH Audio. You'll find an audiologist nearby who takes a mold of your ear and sends it off to the lab to create your custom set.

I will say it is a bit pricey (about $200 - $1000) but very much worth the investment (I've had my current set for about 10 years). I wear mine without the wires to concerts, not only to save my hearing but so I can hear the show much more clearly. I also use them as regular headsets as they are comfortable and small/easy to pack away. There are many applications for these things.

If you're looking for something cheaper, check out similar musical gear - Shure makes universal ear molds that work with their standard ear phones, but don't cancel out nearly as much noise, nor do they fit as well as custom ones.

Hope this helps!

I am a Clarity Aloft user, pretty much the same as Halo. I have done lots of testing with lots of eartips. I am not limited to just my Cessna but use them in my Cub with the door open and also the Pitts doing aerobatics. After trying 10 or so different things I am back to the standard Foam Comply canal tips that come with the headset. The foam just contours to your ear and changes with your ear. If you sneeze, chew, yawn etc the seal never breaks. With all the other tips I tried I was always having to adjust or push them in because they would leak or just become uncomfortable. I chose the Clarity over the halo because of the wire and the screw on tip design. I didn't care for the tube but many people love them. Not sure which is better but the halo is cheaper. I went for the $800 Clarity link. The Bluetooth box is worth it for music and calls.
So I am thinking the custom earmold will leak sound, air noises etc. I spoke to Phil at quiet technologies awhile back and he said earmolds suck in airplanes. He is a Audiologist so he probably knows better than us. I even fly my 172 with the windows open in the summer. that wind noise will leak past the earmold for sure. They may be good for standing still shooting guns but these airplanes are different. If you are not happy with the Halo tips I would give the Clarity a try. They have a 30 day trial period. Their tips are super soft when they get to body temp.

I am a Clarity Aloft user, pretty much the same as Halo. ... If you are not happy with the Halo tips I would give the Clarity a try..

Do the Clarity aloft tips work in Halo headsets, and vice versa? I like my halo, but it seems that the foam tips stop working after about 3 months

I have custom molds for my work radio...Google and contact your local police/law enforcement supply store...if they do not do the custom molds they will know who does in your area as they are very common to get gone for law enforcement personnel.

Mine were around $65 for a single ear and I could choose ambient noise or complete seal of ear canal.

Found a place about an hour from me. Went in, they shot my ear full of goop then made the mold and shipped me the ear piece about 5 days later. Was in and out in 5 minutes.

Last edited:
This is interesting, I found this link on a vans forum where a guy says he buys his halo replacement tips here: http://www.etymotic.com/

Looking at that site, it seems they make a wide range of earplugs, earphones, for musicians, shooting, etc. which utilize the same replacement tips. They sure do look like the tips that came with my halos. ??? $14 for 10, I don't think that is any cheaper than buying from Halo.

Those earplugs are interesting, you put the interchangeable tips on the earplug and they claim the sound is reduced but not muffled as you'd typically get with a generic earplug. Maybe this is common, I didn't know earplugs got that high tech.

The vans forum link where i found this: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=56082

I had a set of Etymotic ER4-PT's I used in my Cub for noise isolation and music before I put a radio in. Now I have a handheld so started using my Clarity. On the Etymotics the glider eartips are excellent... The ER4 goes in REALLY deep. I tried to make those tips work on my Clarity but They didn't go in deep enough to seal properly. I just sold my ER4's on Ebay yesterday. I will miss those.

I am thinking of getting some custom fit ear molds...Where would I start looking to find a place to create these? Is there a local sort of operation (hearing aid store, firearm supplier, other?) that can help with this?

What online sources would help?

I have custom earmolds for work (though I mostly use a full headset these days). I'm guessing by the name Aggiemike you're likely in Texas somewhere. However, if you find yourself in the Charlotte area anytime soon, I'm sure racing electronics could get you set up.

I found the following earplugs about a year ago and they are quieter than the ones provided by Halo (noticeably IMHO). They are very soft and conform very comfortably to the ear.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/holemaxuffop.html

I stripped the foam off the plastic tube on all the earplugs supplied by Halo.
Then I poke a hole in the new earplug and insert the tube.
I found heating a pop-rivet stem with my propane torch and poking the hole works best, then slide it on the tube.

I found the following earplugs about a year ago and they are quieter than the ones provided by Halo (noticeably IMHO). They are very soft and conform very comfortably to the ear.

I found heating a pop-rivet stem with my propane torch and poking the hole works best, then slide it on the tube.
Nice, does the tube stay in place? Doesn't slide around? No glue?

Those look similar to the foam plugs sold for Plugfones:
https://www.plugfones.com/product-category/replacements/

The Plugfones already have the hole poked through.

I use Plugfones as my headphones in the airplane, they work well. I set the volume on the ground, and don't have to turn it up when the engine is running.

Ron Wanttaja

I really like the foamy earplugs. They're easy to use, and if they get dirty, you just pop 'em off and pop on another pair (though swapping them can be a bit of a pain due to the tight fit). I bought these replacement tips for my Halos. Appear to be exactly the same as what you get from Phil (I'd bet this is where he buys his). This bag of 50 will last me a long, long time.

http://www.sanibelsupply.com/product_details.aspx?id=d2f2a80d-2319-473e-9b49-9f1300cd3ec2&name=Insert foam tips 3A medium yellow (Standard), 50 pcs&item=8500090#b

There are other sizes/quantities available, too. Scroll down this page: http://www.sanibelsupply.com/subcategories_view.aspx?groupid=3be7d8d7-5da1-e011-b850-0050569a2f12#b

I hate foam earplugs. The silicone ones that come with the Halos work well for me, are simple to clean, and insert the same way all year round, even in Ohio winters when foam plugs turn into bricks at night.

I did use the triple-flange silicone earplugs with my Halos for about a year, until one of them developed tears, and I went back to the foamies. I live in SE TX, so even in winter it's not too cold and the slower foam expansion just means they're easier to insert. I think the heat actually did in the silicone tips, for me; they get very soft when warm, and the plane interior gets rocket-hot sitting on the ramp in summer down here.

It's nice to have multiple eartip options to choose from.

Back