eAPIS - CBP $5k Fine - Advice?

you don't have to like it to understand that if you want to travel, you have to comply with it. I don't like it either but that is a topic to discuss with my congressman, not with the CBP officer. I own an airplane because we like to travel. What's the point in having a plane just to let it sit in the hangar while you complain about the problems with the country ?

I go, I won't let em win. I'm going to the Bahamas in a couple of weeks, I will vocally complain about the process MY COUNTRY forces me to submit to. I'll be too terrified of the friendly, reasonable, "nervous" CBP agents checking me back in to discuss it with them.

The only discussion I've had with CBP about this was with a CBP officer that was a guest staying the night at my house.

But the attitude that "awww it's not that bad, they're nice people, they fine you $35K for a little typo, but if you put it in writing that they're right and you're wrong they'll probably forgive you" is something that I should quietly accept :no:

Not to mention the entire premise is idiotic. eAPIS is permission from the US for you leave or enter. CITIZENS to leave or enter!!! For what? What issues is this addressing? and how much sense does it make that you could just DRIVE across the border without getting that permission?

We're a small slice of America that doesn't draw much sympathy. Put eAPIS requirements/fines on car crossings, their'd be an uprising... Or at least the optimist in me would like to think so but... probably not. :mad2:

(In case ya'll haven't figured it out, eAPIS really burns my ass) :D

Last edited:
isn't that racist and unfair to the illegal aliens who can't get these documents? it might sound crazy now, but what we are hearing today, with states giving welfare and health care and driver licenses to illegals sounded absolutely insane ten years ago.

Proof of citizenship - how discriminatory.

You're so unreasonable! They're busy taking Martha King down at gunpoint, don't you know? That's their job today... respond to the law enforcement decisions made by mediocre database coders. :) :) :)

Bart, use a little logic, please. Also actually pay attention to what I write.

The system is stupid and shouldn't be in place the way it is. I'd love to see it go away. That said, there are also other systems that are much more burdensome in other countries, and in my expperience GA international travel is still easier than commercial. You want to disagree because you'd prefer to complain and go off of one bad story instead of multiple good ones, go ahead.

Have fun in the Bahamas. You'll probably find that in execution it's not difficult, but I'm sure you'll complain. Then you can write your Congressman and complain about it.

The system is stupid and shouldn't be in place the way it is. I'd love to see it go away. That said, there are also other systems that are much more burdensome in other countries, and in my expperience GA international travel is still easier than commercial. You want to disagree because you'd prefer to complain and go off of one bad story instead of multiple good ones, go ahead.

Have fun in the Bahamas. You'll probably find that in execution it's not difficult, but I'm sure you'll complain. Then you can write your Congressman and complain about it.

I have no concern about what other countries do, I have no dog in that fight. Saying we're better than Mexico... Now there's something to be proud of.

I'm just ****ing and moaning on an internet forum. :D

Please tell me a heart warming story about eAPIS, or at least one of those multiple good ones? :rofl:

I won't have to find out much about the execution, I've done it before. And it's been about a year since the last time, I'll have to re-read all the regs, re-figure out my password to eAPIS, re-find all the phone numbers, get my CBP sticer refreshed. Get my radio station license for the plane, and find my radio operators permit (another cruel government joke) Fill out eAPIS several times to get it right (The website is horrible) then fly in, still paranoid that I might get stuck with a $5K fine for filling out government paperwork incorrectly.

I still have no idea why I'm doing this, WHAT IS IT FOR? What is the purpose?

amen. let me recite how that conversation used to go for me in central africa:

me "we had a mechanical problem and missed the time window on our exit permit"

gov't agent "no problem. you need to apply for a new exit permit as they cannot be modified after being issued. here is the form and schedule of fees"

me "here is the form and my payment"

gov't agent "you need to fill in the number of your entry permit. each exit permit must be linked to an entry permit"

me "here is the number from our entry permit"

gov't agent "this entry permit is already linked to another exit permit. You have to have one exit permit linked to one entry permit"

me "we were not able to use that exit permit, the time expired. So we need a new one"

gov't agent "then you need to apply for a new exit permit as they cannot be modified after being issued"

Lesson learned: when you get a chip light on the takeoff roll, don't think about the potential problem with the one engine. Focus on the good status of the other 3 engines.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Whatever a country wants to do to Allow foreign nationals to enter is their prerogative. That is not what APIS is.

It is gaining permission from YOUR country to enter or exit the country. This has to be done correctly with the threat of severe penalties if you mess up, well in advance of your departure or arrival.

Again, what problem does this solve?

Jeff, you mean $50 American didn't solve that problem? WTF? Central Africa isn't what it used to be . . .

me: I see we have documentation problem. You wouldn't have any ideas about how to fix that would you?

him what do you mean?

me Well, guys like you see this happen all the time. Thus you have some knowledge about how these types of things usually get fixed. I bet our company would pay you for that advice, especially if it didn't delay us any further.

him: What did you have in mind for that fee?

me: I was thinking $50 US would solve that problem.

him: $50 seems a little light to me for this valuable information.

me: well, perhaps your boss has some ideas. His experience might cost us more, but certainly would not involve your knowledge.

Him: Let me see what I can do . . .

Last edited:
There are three of them that cover the entire state. You probably caused him to miss his kids soccer game.

A job is a job and he volunteered - or at least filled out the application.

This is the main reason when coming south [when I used to live in New England] I'd simply clear at BDL. Its pretty easy to get the waiver when you state you intend to file an IFR flight plan and arrive within 25nm of your home airport, are a lawyer, admitted to the bars of 2 states, several federal courts and have no criminal record.

This was early 90's and inflation had set in. $200 was closer to the mark. We each had a couple thousand issued with our flight kit for most trips.

Jeff, you mean $50 American didn't solve that problem? WTF? Central Africa isn't what it used to be . . .

me: I see we have documentation problem. You wouldn't have any ideas about how to fix that would you?

him what do you mean?

me Well, guys like you see this happen all the time. Thus you have some knowledge about how these types of things usually get fixed. I bet our company would pay you for that advice, especially if it didn't delay us any further.

him: What did you have in mind for that fee?

me: I was thinking $50 US would solve that problem.

him: $50 seems a little light to me for this valuable information.

me: well, perhaps your boss has some ideas. His experience might cost us more, but certainly would not involve your knowledge.

Him: Let me see what I can do . . .

I've crossed both north and south, the only ahole was at GFK and I think he was POed he had to come out on a saturday.

The ones in Montana enjoy the drive and getting to leave the automobile checkpoint. Or so they tell me, they drive from sweet grass to cut bank, about an hour drive one way.

Do you guys think eAPIS in the US is complicated? jajajajajajajajaj fly to Mexico to see what paperwork means. Good luck

Re: eAPIS - CBP $5k Fine - Advise

I have no concern about what other countries do, I have no dog in that fight. Saying we're better than Mexico... Now there's something to be proud of.

I'm just ****ing and moaning on an internet forum. :D

Please tell me a heart warming story about eAPIS, or at least one of those multiple good ones? :rofl:

I won't have to find out much about the execution, I've done it before. And it's been about a year since the last time, I'll have to re-read all the regs, re-figure out my password to eAPIS, re-find all the phone numbers, get my CBP sticer refreshed. Get my radio station license for the plane, and find my radio operators permit (another cruel government joke) Fill out eAPIS several times to get it right (The website is horrible) then fly in, still paranoid that I might get stuck with a $5K fine for filling out government paperwork incorrectly.

I still have no idea why I'm doing this, WHAT IS IT FOR? What is the purpose?

Hey guys have you ever heard of FltPlan?? I do my eAPIS USA and Mexico whit FltPlan when I file my flight plans. Very easy. Just make your phone calls and you are good to go. Stop complaining.

Re: eAPIS - CBP $5k Fine - Advise

Hey guys have you ever heard of FltPlan?? I do my eAPIS USA and Mexico whit FltPlan when I file my flight plans. Very easy. Just make your phone calls and you are good to go. Stop complaining.

Looks like they did stop complaining...over a year ago, in May of 2013 when this thread was last active. :)

Why blame Canada? Its the ridicously complicated policies of USA DHS/ customs. No easy 800 # to contact customs on.hard to identify ports of entry, each wih different rules and hours of operation. Overly cumbersome eapis filing, stupid aircraft decal requirement. Extreme penalties for fouling up on any of these cumbersome items. Police state mentality anyone?
Entry into Canada, courteous and efficient.

Why blame Canada? Its the ridicously complicated policies of USA DHS/ customs. No easy 800 # to contact customs on.hard to identify ports of entry, each wih different rules and hours of operation. Overly cumbersome eapis filing, stupid aircraft decal requirement. Extreme penalties for fouling up on any of these cumbersome items. Police state mentality anyone?

Entry into Canada, courteous and efficient.

+ 2. Never a problem to the North.

Yeah, a bit old. I went to Canada just over a year ago, previous trip was before eAPIS.

I thought it was a pain and feel I was 'over notifying' everyone with flight plans, eAPIS, and phone calls, but thought more was better than to little.

I went back & forth over MN, my guard was up, the Officers were GREAT both directions. I do think it cuts down on traffic though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back