Eagles attack paraglider

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070202/od_nm/australia_eagles_dc

I've often wondered what large birds think of us as we cruise past.

Usually, soaring with raptors is no big deal. Sometimes they approach and join a circling sailplane apparently knowing it's a sign of rising air. More often, we see them circling and join them. They don't mind at all. One time I shared a thermal with about a dozen hawks, all withing a stones throw of my glider above and below. Another time I climbed several thousand feet with 2 Turkey Vultures 20 feet off my right wing in formation. They looked like stealth bombers! Only in rare instances have they attacked and even broken the canopys of sailplanes. It would be bad to be out hanging under a para-wing!

Usually, soaring with raptors is no big deal. Sometimes they approach and join a circling sailplane apparently knowing it's a sign of rising air. More often, we see them circling and join them. They don't mind at all. One time I shared a thermal with about a dozen hawks, all withing a stones throw of my glider above and below. Another time I climbed several thousand feet with 2 Turkey Vultures 20 feet off my right wing in formation. They looked like stealth bombers! Only in rare instances have they attacked and even broken the canopys of sailplanes. It would be bad to be out hanging under a para-wing!

usually they tuck and dive away from me. they probably know that im a sign of sinking air.

PuhLEAZE

Talk about being over dramatic.

As a biologist, I find the comparison remarkably accurate. A totally carnivorous top predator of exquisitely high performance design for a fluid environment. A solitary hunter in a three dimensional environment exploiting a broad prey species diet, and no aversion to scavenging if the opportunity arises.

Back