Eagle prop. Oozing grease

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Flew the eagle today. First time since I've brought her home. Flew about 50 mins. TOLs and lotsa low approaches. Got her back in the hangar and noticed there was grease along one blade of the prop. and on the cowling and center portion of the upper wing and little dots on my canopy!
Sheesh, so much for "OK, I'm gonna practice while it's warmish and not windy"
Now, I get to call the prop guy and either pull it and drive 2.5 hrs or if it's OK fly for 50 mins up to midland. It's a whirlwind 200C prop.

Just whining...... I know it's not a disaster but it really derails my plans for the next few days! And, I just got her home!

Last edited:
Jeanie;
My Hartzell will throw a small amount of grease when it's cold out and it was just rebuilt (+100hrs). Though a consult with a good prop shop is a wise move don't get despondant yet...it might just be a seal that needed exercising.

Chris

That's a bummer. I'd recommend consulting folks who fly the Whirlwind. They may behave differently from the more common Hartzells and MTs. I don't know. I understand the Whirlwind has a more frequent service interval than the others. At contests, I don't generally see people having to clean off oil slung from their hubs. The Acro Exploder is a good resource.

Thanks guys. I'll talk to the prop shop and to whirlwind as well. It wasn't a small amount of grease, well, it is a small amount but it certainly spread itself about!
The differential diagnosis is that the ooze is asymmetrical - one side is completely dry and clean the other hub is icky.

I'll let you know what happens.

That's not necessarily a problem, it's pretty typical from over greasing. Read what the prop manufacturer has to say about it. I remember reading one that said as long as it's not leaking oil, and the badges don't have any radial slack to them, leaking grease is ok.

Thanks guys. I'll talk to the prop shop and to whirlwind as well. It wasn't a small amount of grease, well, it is a small amount but it certainly spread itself about!
The differential diagnosis is that the ooze is asymmetrical - one side is completely dry and clean the other hub is icky.

I'll let you know what happens.

Do not use anything with ammonia to clean the wind screen! :no:

No windex, 409, Fantastic, etc. :nono:

I use plastic cleaner for the canopy.

Looked at the log... At the last inspection it only had 22 hrs on it since new . New 2006 inspected oct. 2013

That's not much time. Seal probably dried out and cracked.

Heck I've put easy 15 hrs on it since I got it.

~~~~~~
Just talked to prop guy. It is essentially a McCauley hub. No zerts. He's ordered a seal kit and I'll take it up to midland next Thursday

Last edited:
Back