EAA suing the SOS Brothers beer tent...

I've got 3 neighbors that own Questair Ventures..I guess they can't fly in for Oshkosh anymore because they might be sued. However, EAA changed the name to Airventure in 1998. The Questair Venture name goes back to the 80s.
Seriously though, I think all of this will not get rid of Beer Venture but might possibly change their name. Either way they got a lot of free publicity and will probably get a bump in business at the next show.

I’m sure I’ll stop by. I’ve eaten there before at lunch, but don’t remember a big deal, other than it was significantly cheaper

I do feel a little cheated because it was hinted that there would be bikinis and she is clearly wearing shorts.

Last edited:
I recall riding my motorcycle around the University of San Diego more than a few years ago. I was sufficiently distracted by the young lovely women than I nearly hit a post. That said, the young lady in the photograph is certainly wonderfully photogenic, especially for Wisconsin. My first visit to Madison confirmed an old scientific adage that mammals get larger the further North you go.

I am hopeful that the EAA and the Beer folks can work out their differences. Courts are expensive, slow, and highly unpredictable.

You've got AirVenture, an EAA thing. You've got KidVenture, an EAA thing. I don't think it would be that difficult for lawyers to make the argument that BeerVenture, located adjacent to the grounds, could cause confusion.

I doubt EAA would want to license the use of it's name to the SOS operation, as now that signals that EAA somehow endorses an operation that "conflict(s) with the family friendly image" of the event. Next thing that will pop up would be SkinVenture, (and no, I'm not referring to a seminar on applying aluminum to ribbing). Would they endorse that as well?

I've heard of Airventure (and Oshkosh) for years. This is the first time I've heard of "beerventure". I understand the need to protect a trademark, but both sides need to chill.

Beerventure...chill... Hmm, well done sir!

I feel like I have finally reached a level of fame when other pilots are posting pics of my antics at SOS!

Since this thread is worthless without pics I did a google check and found what appears to be some unnamed POA members hydrating before a long flight home.

showthumb.php

She probably has a name. I understand all in good fun but the number of comments is a little rough. No confusion why there are almost zero women pilots.
If a 4.5 is a little rough, “almost zero” is brutal! ;)

I don’t think the “Family folks” will even know or care about the SOS tent, and I don’t think the SOS patrons will stop going to the tent if they lose the “Beer Venture” name. The whole thing is a ****ing match over a few T-shirt sales.

You've got AirVenture, an EAA thing. You've got KidVenture, an EAA thing. I don't think it would be that difficult for lawyers to make the argument that BeerVenture, located adjacent to the grounds, could cause confusion.
That's not quite how trademarks work. The EAA never used BeerVenture, and they can't argue they own the word Venture. What they can do, is claim dilution (which they have). However, dilution usually takes a bit more fame in the mark than I think AirVenture is entitled to, but they are trying. Oh, and they don't own KidVenture either. There's far too many other people using that mark.

I doubt EAA would want to license the use of it's name to the SOS operation, as now that signals that EAA somehow endorses an operation that "conflict(s) with the family friendly image" of the event. Next thing that will pop up would be SkinVenture, (and no, I'm not referring to a seminar on applying aluminum to ribbing). Would they endorse that as well?
EAA gave up on the "family friendly" image years ago when they allowed tawdry booths, advertising, and the open sale of alcohol on the grounds. The latter has not been without problems. I can't say I ever saw a brawl at the show before they started selling beer there.

Last edited:
Maybe BeerVenture can countersue because they don’t want anyone to confuse AirVenture with BeerVenture.

They both just took the word “adventure” and changed the beginning, like probably many other businesses. Not sure if the law here but seems to me if EAA wanted a rock solid trademark a little more creativity was in order.

I’m sorry my post didn’t have pictures.

Yeah I figured you needed some pictures... comprehension an all being what it is these days

Cheers mate.... time for a cold one.. shoot me the tab first on is on me

Bryan:
Whats your objection? EAA is allowed to protect its trademarks and IP. Look I’m not saying that the term Beer Venture is something to sue over as I look at it more of a parody which is permitted in trademark law, There is a simple fix to that which is wording that says something along the lines of ( not associated with EAA or Airventure), I liken that to someone coming up with a product poking fun at foreflight ;) But use of the trademarks for financial gain is an issue on a few levels, not the least of which is if the Beer venue uses EAA names and trademarks that suggest it is part of EAA and they fuel someone up on beer who goes and hurts themselves or someone else, EAA exposes itself to liability. Imagine someone setting up a tent with “just plane silly” on it and your logo of Ed Fred riding the cirrus with the parachute and they sell shots of Tequila. Someone gets hammered and hurts someone, well you don’t want that associated with you. Liability is not the only reason so imagine someone using your logo on a website for White Supremacist, Yea its an extreme example but branding and image are important to organizations. That said here is my disclaimer: My only info is from that article, I have never been to the SOS tent so the situation could absolutely be different from what is presented in the article.

What trademark is EAA protecting? They don't own "venture" in general. They do not own BeerVenture. The best they can do is argue that ***venture is diluting their mark, but I'm not seeing it.

THere's not a shred of legal basis in the article and the article has nothing whatsoever to do with the details of the lawsuit. Read back to one of my earlier posts where I actually put EAA's court filing in.

What trademark is EAA protecting? They don't own "venture" in general. They do not own BeerVenture. The best they can do is argue that ***venture is diluting their mark, but I'm not seeing it.

THere's not a shred of legal basis in the article and the article has nothing whatsoever to do with the details of the lawsuit. Read back to one of my earlier posts where I actually put EAA's court filing in.

Agreed. Somewhat akin to Disney World trying to sue Sea World. But courts will do almost anything.

The reversed logo, I can see... maybe. But not calling it "Beer Venture". That's just pretty generic. I'd be very surprised if no one else in the Oshkosh/Appleton/FDL area uses the same name.

I don’t think it’s about trademark at all. EAA wants a monopoly on beer sales.
On all booze. Sneaking that **** back in to the airplane camping area after a meet up/dinner in RV camping is a pain in the ass.

Or so i heard...

Bryan:
Whats your objection? EAA is allowed to protect its trademarks and IP. Look I’m not saying that the term Beer Venture is something to sue over as I look at it more of a parody which is permitted in trademark law, There is a simple fix to that which is wording that says something along the lines of ( not associated with EAA or Airventure), I liken that to someone coming up with a product poking fun at foreflight ;) But use of the trademarks for financial gain is an issue on a few levels, not the least of which is if the Beer venue uses EAA names and trademarks that suggest it is part of EAA and they fuel someone up on beer who goes and hurts themselves or someone else, EAA exposes itself to liability. Imagine someone setting up a tent with “just plane silly” on it and your logo of Ed Fred riding the cirrus with the parachute and they sell shots of Tequila. Someone gets hammered and hurts someone, well you don’t want that associated with you. Liability is not the only reason so imagine someone using your logo on a website for White Supremacist, Yea its an extreme example but branding and image are important to organizations. That said here is my disclaimer: My only info is from that article, I have never been to the SOS tent so the situation could absolutely be different from what is presented in the article.

Like wise the easy fix would be for EAA to predominately display signs saying they are not affiliated with beer venture. This is a case where EAA believes they can bully these guys and maybe they can.

The reversed logo, I can see... maybe. But not calling it "Beer Venture". That's just pretty generic. I'd be very surprised if no one else in the Oshkosh/Appleton/FDL area uses the same name.

Curiously, nobody has trademarked Beer Venture or Beerventure. At least that’s how it looked, when I tried the search at USPTO.gov

Why do I suspect that all those throwing out ratings are probably somewhere in “negative number” territory themselves....?
Hey, buddy. I highly resemble that remark. And I wasn’t even critical.

I told my Mother in Law I was going to trade my 40 year old wife in for 2 20's .
She said, " I got news for you buddy , you aren't wired for 220"
End of conversation after much laughter.
She might do the same. And remember, 20 goes into 40 a lot more than 40 goes into 20.

Agreed. Somewhat akin to Disney World trying to sue Sea World. But courts will do almost anything.

Or 'The Ohio State University' trying to trademark the use of the word 'The'.

(which is following a legal dispute with Ohio University about the use of the word 'Ohio')

Not kidding.

Back