EAA footage on 60 Minutes Sunday

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Subject: EAA footage on 60 Minutes Sunday

FROM: Dick Knapinski, EAA Media/Public Relations, 920-426-6523, dknapinski@eaa.org

> The producers at CBS "60 Minutes" have informed EAA that a segment on
> personal aviation, titled "Highway in the Sky," will be airing this Sunday
> (April 17). The program airs at 7 p.m. EDT (6 p.m. CDT). Bob Simon will
> host the segment, which explores the efforts to make personal aviation
> more accessible and the innovations, new and old, that have looked to make
> personal flying popular.
> EAA assisted 60 Minutes producers with footage from our extensive video
> library, mostly of the Aerocar.
>
The official CBS promotional information is included below. The network
asked EAA to help pass the word to aviation enthusiasts.

------------------------------

"HIGHWAY IN THE SKY"
Have you ever dreamt about the day you can buzz around in your very own
flying machine? Well, that day may be sooner than you think. The folks at
NASA have built something called "The Highway in the Sky," a computer system
designed to let millions of people fly whenever they please in their very
own vehicles. And here's the good news: a lot of people are building flying
machines you'll be able to buy. One of those is an inventor named Woody
Norris, who this week will receive the Lemelson-MIT Award, America's top
prize for invention. The half-million-dollar cash prize will honor Norris's
life's work, including the "Air Scooter," his brand new personal flying
machine. The Air Scooter's set to go on sale later this year, but if you're
interested in an early glimpse of what may turn out to be the next vehicle
taking up a space in the family garage, watch "Highway in the Sky" on 60
Minutes on Sunday, April 17, 7PM ET/PT on CBS.

Looks like this was on last night. Did you get to see it, Greg?

If anyone taped this and can make a digital copy of it, please contact me.

I saw parts of that.

It's interesting that the technology is slowly getting there. Not overly practical but interesting anyway. That little helicopter toy on floats looked like fun though.

Realistically there is NO way will a million people will be doing this. Technology can easily give you the capability to do it. Operationally in the real world you can't actually do it. This is a people problem, not a technology problem. Those are the same exact million+ people that are completely incapable of handling the coefficient of friction of rubber on concrete and have absolutely no judgement skills. You can sell the hardware but there's going to be a BIG population reduction in short order.

On a side note; I still have problems with the news media yapping about GA death traps and idiot pilots and terrorism THEN go on to yap for an hour how wonderful it will be for every idiot in existence to fly 300mph with no brains or training between towering building with thousands of other idiots going all sorts of directions in any weather with no restrictions. Obviously there's no terrorism issues with any of this either, but GA?? ground'em. Sigh.

Personally just before those death traps hit the market, I'm buying a missile silo and slamming the lid shut until the thumping sound stops.

For the record: There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you can get me in one of those air cars contraptions until you can reliably and repeatedly demonstrate survivable engine and computer out glide performance and control and reuse the vehicle afterward with no trip to the shop for repairs and no injuries. 50kts, 400AGL, master switch off, fuel selector off, wait, ready begin... I'll watch...from a great distance.

ok, well if they're keeping it hosted, then I dont need to try and get it uploaded here. :)

Toby said:
Looks like this was on last night. Did you get to see it, Greg?
Nope, but thanks to the folks who posted the link to the archive. We had a house full of relatives all weekend for our daughter's wedding. I didn't even check the email all weekend, which is why I didn't catch the date being yesterday when I pasted the message - I thought it was next weekend!!!

The general public lives on dreams, no matter how fantastic. One benefit of this type of TV PR for GA is the public thinking that it will be readily available to the average guy. A few may try GA and enter the present, real world of GA.

gkainz said:
... our daughter's wedding....
Greg, I think you had more important things to do than watch TV. Congratulations! :)

Back