retpd2001

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
retpd2001
EAA Vintage Director Killed In Jenny Crash
By Russ Niles

p1b1qubhofjns1r6b1f091ff91cgn6.JPG

EAA Vintage Aircraft Association board of directors member Ron Alexander was killed Thursday in the crash of his recently restored Curtiss Jenny at Peach Tree Airport in Williamson, Georgia. An unidentified passenger was also killed. A local newspaper is reporting that the passenger was an FAA official but that has not been confirmed. Initial reports suggest the aircraft encountered some kind of difficulty on takeoff. It crashed in a wooded area and caught fire. First responders rushed to the scene but were unable to save the occupants.

Alexander founded Alexander Aeroplane Company, which was later sold to Aircraft Spruce. He had restored a Stearman in addition to the Jenny. He also established the Candler Field Museum at Peach Tree Airport. Alexander was an ex-military pilot who retired a captain with Delta after 33 years in 2002.

(This from AvWEb, why didn't we hear it first from EAA?) GB

Uhggg why do all these planes have to crashhhh.

Dangerous game we play

I heard about this just the other day from a mutual friend and could not believe it. Definitely a huge loss.

It was a Jenny, a very old airplane, like 1913 or thereabouts. Damn could that thing be a hundred years old?

Regardless he's established something that his supporters, donors, friend & family, and I'm sure many others will keep alive. His work is not done but he has paved the path to keep all the good and excitement he started. RIP

It was a Jenny, a very old airplane, like 1913 or thereabouts. Damn could that thing be a hundred years old?

Regardless he's established something that his supporters, donors, friend & family, and I'm sure many others will keep alive. His work is not done but he has paved the path to keep all the good and excitement he started. RIP

1917, just short of 100 years old. There is a good Board at the museum and I feel confidant they will keep Ron's vision alive and moving forward.

They had the Jenny's engine for repairs for quite some time before April. It was back in the airplane by the end of April but I don't know what it had been through from then until now.

I've seen that particular airplane fly at an airshow there years ago. Definitely a cool experience. I'm still disheartened by this news. A real bummer for sure.

They don't have to, but the odds increase the more you fly. Very sad news, btw, my condolences.

That's why I only skydive, wing suit, and hang glide...wayyyyy safer and no engine to go out on you

That's why I only skydive, wing suit, and hang glide...wayyyyy safer and no engine to go out on you

How do you get to altitude for your skydiving and wingsuiting? Catapult? ;-)

There were around 500 folks at the visitation last night. A couple of folks on my BOD went to represent the chapter. The family is asking that donations go to the museum. I'm guessing a lot of money will pour in. I know our chapter will write a check for some amount for it.

Back