EAA and Local Chapters

TheTraveler

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheTraveler
EAA is something that I've held a very positive view of since I was a kid. Family members of mine have been either active members, or involved with the EAA for most of my life, and I've always heard how great a resource they can be for not only home and kit builders, but pilots in general.

I was part of a chapter when I was down near Atlanta, but I ended up moving just a few months after I got involved with them (a few meetings, breakfasts, etc). What I found was that although a large percentage of the members were seniors, it seemed to me that there was a pretty good mix of those who weren't, and the group seemed to get along pretty well.

The reason for this post is that recently I had an experience that was a bit concerning. Now that I've moved, I went over to the EAA Forums and posted for the first time, looking for some info on the local chapter. I expected to find a forum not unlike PoA. Fun, friendly, sure the topics get heated now and then, but it's like home. What I found over there was, in fact, quite different.

It could be that since I was seeking info on local chapters, I just stumbled into some lingering negativity by default, looking under that particular subject. But what I found certainly wasn't nice. The posts uncovered about dealing with politics in local chapters, aging local chapters, chapters that don't want to advance and change, not seeking or reaching out to the younger generation, references to "Old Men's Breakfast Club", pilots being turned away because the chapter isn't interested in new members...wow. It wasn't one or two, there were lots of these.

This was not what I thought of the EAA. It's actually quite the opposite, and I never would have thought of it like this. I'm hoping that I stumbled onto an anomaly.

What is your experience? How many EAA members hang here at PoA? How many are in a local chapter? Do you experience these things also with them? Does your local chapter stay pretty active, and have fun? Or does it turn into some kind of grumpy complaining and bickering session?

Better yet, what do you get out of the EAA? I know what I get as a student, and I've heard what others have gotten as a legacy back in the day building planes, but hearing it from you guys would mean a lot.

EAA Chapter 172 in my area. I've never experienced any of the negativity you posted about. The older guys are more than willing to share there knowledge with the younger members. We typically have a lunch followed by a short meeting and a couple fly-ins each year. Our chapter is also good about 'Young Eagle' flights too. I suggest you go visit the local chapter in your new area and find out for yourself.

I suggest you go visit the local chapter in your new area and find out for yourself.

I spoke to them even before I posted this. Seems like a nice group, and I'm looking forward to the meeting. I personally haven't experienced any problems within a chapter, it was only over on the EAA forum.

I have been a member of chapter 211 in Grand Haven MI for years. I have always marveled at the aviation knowledge that sits in that meeting room. There is a good mix of ages, though it does skew older. Very nice folks who are very giving of their knowledge. I have had a positive experience there.

I think you might be experiencing the tendency as is in any forum to use the medium as an aseptic means of venting.

The last local EAA meeting I went to they talked for 1.2 hours about the center pieces for the table at the Christmas party. :mad2:

Each chapter has its own personality. The local one is poor to say the least. A couple of years ago a new president was elected and started implementing lots of changes. The old guard got together and voted him out! :eek:

I belong to the national chapter and that is it. Life is too short to discuss table center pieces. :mad2:

Last edited:
I have joined a local chapter in Fla. I enjoy doing the young eagles flights. Also meetings can be very informative. Also have started fly outs for breakfast. Not being from Fla ,gives me the opportunity to meet other pilots.

I am in a local chapter SW of Atlanta. It's a pretty small group, but the ones that are involved in the chapter are fairly involved in aviation either professionally or recreationally.

I've been involved in the chapter for about 6 months and at the last meeting was voted new Webmaster and Secretary. It seems that the 'good' local chapters are happy to have some young blood around. I could see how some chapters could turn into a 'good ol boys' club, much like hunting clubs or any other group comprised of mostly men with similar likes.

The most successful chapter I have ever seen is in Lee's Summit, MO. They have raised money and built 4 HUGE hangars for rent, meetings, building and repairing airplanes, etc. It is an amazing tribute to EAA members focused on the future, service to members, and growth for the future. Seriously, it is stunning to take a tour of the place. Amazing what positive thinking can do.

I'm guessing it varies a lot from chapter to chapter. I'm a Chapter 80 member. While it's true that the average age is a little higher than I'd like to see, the same can be said for the entire GA pilot population. We've got a pretty wide range of interests represented, and the politics is kept to an absolute minimum. If it weren't I'd be gone already.

I'm guessing it varies a lot from chapter to chapter. I'm a Chapter 80 member. While it's true that the average age is a little higher than I'd like to see, the same can be said for the entire GA pilot population. We've got a pretty wide range of interests represented, and the politics is kept to an absolute minimum. If it weren't I'd be gone already.

Chapter 80 is another good one. I was a member with them for a year. I like their " hangar meetings" after the official meeting. Great bunch of aviators. Just too far for me to travel.

The last EAA chapter meeting I attended I was asked why I was there? and then told they didn't need no stinking A&Ps.
To say the least, I din't join their little club.

I think you might be experiencing the tendency as is in any forum to use the medium as an aseptic means of venting.

From what most have responded, with a few exceptions, I'm inclined to agree.

Shame to hear about Tom's experience, or the other negative ones, though. And table centerpieces? What's that all about?

Aging or not, politically aligned or not, whatever...it's just unfortunate that some of that negativity does exist. What a great recreational activity everyone shares an interest in, bringing that junk into it brings no benefit.

Back