E6b question

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
Would some one please give me step by step directions as to how to calculate wind velocity& direction given heading, drift, and TAS using the E6b?

Lets say it is
Heading 030°, 3° right drift, 150 kt TAS

And what is your ground speed?

Your E6B comes with a little instruction book that explains how to make it go. The book also provides sample problems and the solutions. Mastering the E6B is not hard, in fact, it is downright simple. The only hard part is remembering to practice solving the assorted problems until you reach a point where you just do it, without thinking how to do it.

Those electronic E6Bs are great for checking the answers you came up with on your manual one. They help to build confidence. The electronic ones are also great to have when your taking your written exam.

The only place the electronic ones are pretty much useless is when you are actually flying an airplane. You just do not have the time to enter each little step while you also have to keep flying, seeing and avoiding, and maintaining situational awareness.

The aluminum one is by far a lot easier and faster, with no little buttons to press while your bouncing around in the turbulence. It is really weird, and I don't know how to explain it, but I have noticed the rougher the ride, the smaller and closer together the push buttons become.

Get your little book out, it will tell you how to calculate wind correction angles.

John

Would some one please give me step by step directions as to how to calculate wind velocity& direction given heading, drift, and TAS using the E6b?

Step 1: Rummage around in your flight bag looking for it. No luck.

Step 2: Realize that it wasn't in the outside pocket like you thought, and is probably underneath all of the out of date charts in the bottom of the bag.

Step 3: Feel good about actually finding it after only 15 minutes.

Step 4: Look at the back and realize that you don't have a pencil - only a pen. And do you really want to put ink on the nice shiny almost like new E6B?

Step 5: Realize that it really doesn't matter - you will get there when you get there. Knowing the crosswind won't get you there any faster. Chuck the E6B back in the bag.

If your trying to figure out your crosswind, you don't need no stinking E6B, its just simple rithmatic.

Take the difference between the runway direction and the wind direction, add 2, then multiply that times your wind speed and you will have a very close approximation of your crosswind.

For example you wind is 240 at 12 kts. You want to land on runway 28.

Subtract 240 from 280 which leaves you 40, drop the zero and add 2 to 4 which gives you 6. Multiply 6 times your wind speed, 6X12=72. Your cross wind component is 7.2 kts.

Piece of cake.

John

My E6B has very good directions on the blade of the unit itself. I will try to remember to go through it for you step by step when I have my whiz wheel at hand, but that probably won't be earlier than Monday.

Doc

Nowadays many E6bs actually have the quick and dirty how-to's printed right at the top of the slide. Just plug in your knowns as directed and there you have it.

(Old timey SAC navigators will take exception to those directions as they put their wind dot DOWN from the grommet and thus build their wind triangle a little differently.)

John, I am not trying to figure x-wind. per se. or wind correction angle,(I know how to do that) I want to know how to determine the wind speed and the direction given a known heading, drift, and TAS/&GS ,but thanks anyway.
Doc, I appreciate the offer of step by step directions...standing by.
While I appreciate the input, (sarcastic included) I have the book and I have read the instructions. What info I seek is not covered in it. The printed directions on the wind side is of no help either. :mad2:

Yes, I posted the comment regarding instructions on the blade before I realized that you are wanting to solve for something besides regular WCA. I'm pretty sure that I can figure it out once I get my E6B in hand. I'm old enough that I went through college with a slide rule, so I believe that I will figure it out.

I just now glanced at your problem and I'm not sure I can solve it without knowing wind direction. It will be a good puzzle to work through though. Also my gut is telling me that solving for wind direction without wind velocity as a given, or vice versa might be undoable.

After I leave the office today, I won't have computer access again before Monday morning unfortunately.

Doc

Last edited:
John, I am not trying to figure x-wind. per se. or wind correction angle,(I know how to do that) I want to know how to determine the wind speed and the direction given a known heading, drift, and TAS/&GS ,but thanks anyway.
Doc, I appreciate the offer of step by step directions...standing by.
While I appreciate the input, (sarcastic included) I have the book and I have read the instructions. What info I seek is not covered in it. The printed directions on the wind side is of no help either. :mad2:

I'm going from memory, but you basically have to reverse the process. If I recall correctly when you know the wind you place a dot on the circle on the heading of the wind and then spin to your course and slide the card to your TAS and that gives you your correction angle and ground speed.

So, you know your TAS, and your heading and course. So slide the card to your TAS, and twist the wheel to your course. Then find where your groundspeed is under the wheel. Place a dot where the heading flown intersects that line. Spin the wheel so it lines up with the reference line and that should show you wind velocity and direction.

You have to know your ground speed though or it could be an bunch of different answers.

George is the MAN! Page 32 of his attached document gives step by step instructions and it will indeed solve for BOTH wind speed AND direction.

Good job George!

Doc

Thanks George, 'et al. I see you cannot determine the wind speed/direction with the limited info I was giving (heading, drift, TAS) you need your
ground speed, true heading, true course, and true airspeed. I get that...thanks!

Back