E6B comm written

Arob16

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Arob16
Hi all - it's been a few years since I've taken an FAA written test... From online research I understand iPad/iPhone/smart device is not allowed for calc or flight computer purposes (correct?). Kind of a bummer since the iPad e6b app is so much cheaper than the real thing!

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. True. I may just see if someone can lend me their whiz wheel for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you? That just might happen.

I have the ASA CX2. It's horrendously awful but it works for the writtens.

At least the LASERGRADE test stations I used have a pretty good one built in to the test station, you don't actually need to bring one.

Where are you? That just might happen.

Located in Keller, TX (north Fort Worth)

An ASA E6B is, like, $10.

??????????????????????

Very true - I was referring to the electronic one but didn't make that obvious. I can actually remember selling my mechanical version at a garage sale, I should have known I would need it again!

All this makes for an interesting discussion on how flight planning is actually performed today vs how it was (and maybe still is) taught today.

I was able to bring my electronic e6b into both PPL and IFR written but do not recall using it. I was prepared to but the questions asked were the exact same as the prep course and for some reason I just remembered the correct answers and decided to save myself a few minutes. In any event, the CATS center I used had one in the testing room if you didn't have one and I believe the CATS PC had an e6b program on it as well. Check with your testing center as they may have the same setup if needed.

Located in Keller, TX (north Fort Worth)
Since the metal ones are so inexpensive, go see Tina over Tina's Pilot Shop over at Northwest Regional in Roanoke.

And are you on the DFWPilots discussion forum? We're trying to get a group gathering going at The Beacon. I think it might be this weekend.

And I'm up in Denton if you ever want to link up for a hangar flying session.

There should be one built in to the testing software if you want to use it. The metal ones I always ran into the issue of them not being precise enough if the test answers were close.

When I went to my ATP test the proctor said I could not bring my electronic E6B into the test. I think he just didn't know the rules. This was at lasergrade about two years ago. The computer had one that did the job though.

I've always brought my ASA CX-2 into the lasergrade test center. It has never been a problem. I've also brought in a plain old (non-programmable) scientific calculator.

I took my CFI test with just a couple of pencils and only missed one. The test giver asked me if I had everything I needed and gave me weird look, but thats what happened. I probably did miss one of the ones that required an E6B although I do know how to estimate that stuff without one.

Since the metal ones are so inexpensive, go see Tina over Tina's Pilot Shop over at Northwest Regional in Roanoke.

And are you on the DFWPilots discussion forum? We're trying to get a group gathering going at The Beacon. I think it might be this weekend.

And I'm up in Denton if you ever want to link up for a hangar flying session.

Oh that's great, 52F is my home base. Just down the highway from you. I do have an account over at DFWPilots.... Need to visit more often, looks like a great community. Did you guys brave the weather for breakfast buffet?

Back