E6b aviation calculator vs sportys e6b

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
I can't decide on which of the two apps for my iPad.. They both look great and I'm having a hard time deciding on one..
Anyone ever use either one??

Why do you ever need an E6B app?

They are not permissible at the written exam, and there are easier ways in the cockpit and at planning time.

They are not permissible at the written exam, and there are easier ways in the cockpit and at planning time.

You can use an E6B for the PPL written. Not sure about the others, but I can't see why they would allow it for that, and not others. I had mine from 15 years ago, but the testing center even supplied one for me, in case I didn't have mine.

You can use an E6B for the PPL written. Not sure about the others, but I can't see why they would allow it for that, and not others. I had mine from 15 years ago, but the testing center even supplied one for me, in case I didn't have mine.

An E6B, yes, an E6B APP, not so much.

An E6B, yes, an E6B APP, not so much.

Crap, that's what I get for sneaking a peak. Nope, not for the written, then.

My DPE let me use whatever means I would use in the real world to do calculations and such. So, Foreflight and my E6B app (MyE6B is the app) were fair game. Used the E6B when he picked a destination airport that didn't have a METAR and needed to calculate density alt.

DA is the most convoluted part of the mechanical e6B, so I was glad for that. Worth the $9 for that alone.

Last edited:
I bought that stupid Sporty's electronic E6B and used it on exactly one written exam and never used it again. It failed anyway - won't even turn on with new batteries. Whatever. I was not planning to use it in flight anyway - for flight I use (and love) the Sporty's E6B app mainly to calculate my TAS (which is usually 0.24 to 0.25 MACH :D ) and descent planning.

I bought the Sportys E6B app mainly for density altitude calculations, and not for any written exams. I really like how it works. Even if I use it only once in a while, it was worth the inexpensive price.

I have "myE6B" or some app like that. It's either free or real cheap like 99 cents. Not the slickest interface but it works well enough to calculate TAS and winds.

I also have an app called iE6B which brings up a model of a real E6B and you can spin the wheel and move the slide in and out. Wind side works too.

I have the sporty's version on my Ipad and it works fine. You don't 'need' it given the state of current EFBs, however once in awhile I'll pull it up and calculate Xwind landings or some type of conversion. Did this Monday to find out I had a 12 knot Xwind component.

Just learn the math behind it, it's really middle school level stuff.

I can do it by hand, or any calculator, saves your bacon and saves money.

I have my uncle's Army Air Corps E6B from WWII. It still works. Batteries have never given a problem.

The E6B app would not be allowed for the written, because the IPhone is not allowed for the written.

My kneeboard has something like this stamped on it for xwind calculations. No batteries required:

wind_component_chart-faa%28600%29.jpg

Just learn the math behind it, it's really middle school level stuff.

I can do it by hand, or any calculator, saves your bacon and saves money.

Most of it yes, but the wind triangle and crosswind calculations are more like high school.

IRL, those can be simplified. A lot. Like, 30 deg offset means crosswind is half total wind. At 45 degrees, it's 70% (3/4 is close enough). Above 45 degrees, just assume it's all of it. WCA is (roughly) crosswind / TAS * 60.

Last edited:

I have the Sporty's E6B app.

I know there are other ways to do it, especially with all the bells and whistles, but what I like it for most is I find it very easy for quick calculation of "cross ZYPZY at 4,000" when I am at en route at 8,000. yeah, I know a basic calculator can give me that but even then I'd have to remember the formula. Too much cockpit math for me when configuring the airplane and beginning the descent.

I used the "Whiz Wheel" on the test 6 months ago. That was the last time I used it, everything else, including the checkride was done on the myE6B Aviation Calculator. I think the app could be improved but works for me.

Last edited:
I whipped out my metal E6B on the ground work for my BFR and the instructor literally looked at me like I was crazy. He is maybe twenty five. He called me old! I am barely over thirty!!!!

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back