E6-B Question

SDuncan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
scott
Can someone please explain how the number spacing on the circular slider rule of an E6-B is figured? I've been using it for years, and just noticed that I don't know why it's arranged the way it is (other than the fact that it happens to accurately compare ratios). For instance, why isn't the 30 exactly opposite the 60?

its a logarithmic scale
The E6B is as Tony mentioned a logrithmic scale device. It is also a circular slide rule. The reason for the log scale is that most all of our calculations are multiplication and vision. A log scale allows for that to be done very easily on the slide rule.

If you want the full story, Google "Napier slide rule logarithms." But those of us with engineering and science degrees over 35 years old (the degrees, not the degree holders) already know all about it.

If you want the full story, Google "Napier slide rule logarithms." But those of us with engineering and science degrees over 35 years old (the degrees, not the degree holders) already know all about it.
I read some article on it some years back how the name came to be and its Navy designer. At one point, it was going to be the "E6-C" on a later design but somewhere along the way, it remained not only the "E6-B" but was switched to the "E-6B", similar to aircraft designations.

Back