E5 without panel GPS

Eric Lehto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lombard
So my AI and DG are both drifting a small bit more than they used to. Could be age in one or both of the gauges, or could be an issue with my vacuum pump. I'm currently VFR only and will be for another 2 years or so.

Anyway, I see that the E5 has been approved for installation without a panel GPS. So what's the deal? Need to buy the RSM with GPS in it?

So my AI and DG are both drifting a small bit more than they used to. Could be age in one or both of the gauges, or could be an issue with my vacuum pump. I'm currently VFR only and will be for another 2 years or so.

Anyway, I see that the E5 has been approved for installation without a panel GPS. So what's the deal? Need to buy the RSM with GPS in it?

Degraded functionality. You get AHRS and the CDI that basically emulates your analog CDI. Like buying a 10 speed bike but no shift levers to go with. It’s VFR only. Period.if your plane is currently IFR capable, I strongly suggest not going E5.

Who has put in the new garmin 375 how is os doing think about it in 182 p model

Yeah, I plan to upgrade for IFR in the future, I'm just thinking near term if my vacuum pump is going out or something along those lines, it could be time to upgrade to glass. Then, when I'm ready for IFR, I can put in a new panel GPS. Could be an "affordable" step now to put in digital attitude and directional gyros. I'm mostly wondering what the E5 without a panel mount does, and if it would be worth upgrading the RMS with the one with built in GPS, knowing it won't be WAAS. I know with the ACU I should be able to wire in one of my current nav radios for VOR functionality.

My plane is currently IFR capable, just hasn't been certified in years. And I know at least one of my NAV radios or CDI's is off since tuning both to the same VOR and setting the OBS's the same results in a 10° difference between them.

Who has put in the new garmin 375 how is os doing think about it in 182 p model
Agree. Starting a new thread with this question improves the chances for responses and the quality of those responses.

Degraded functionality. You get AHRS and the CDI that basically emulates your analog CDI. Like buying a 10 speed bike but no shift levers to go with. It’s VFR only. Period.if your plane is currently IFR capable, I strongly suggest not going E5.

Degraded functionality? I don't follow. The E5 uses GPS ground speed in its solution for attitude and cross checking. If your pitot tube gets blocked, you will get a notification on the display that the unit is now using GPS ground speed in place of airspeed, and it cautions you of the variances. Its a great backup in my opinion.

Previously the E5 REQURIED a panel mount navigator to grab this GPS ground speed from (and some of the other features too). BUT, with this annoucement, you don't need a panel IFR navigator for GPS ground speed. Now, I am not sure if that means it ships with the GSP RSM or not, as I haven't dug into it.

The CDI on the E5 is NOT just a CDI. It actually provides all of the information you get from an HSI, but in a different format. I actually prefer the format that it gives it in. I love my E5. The difference in just the screen between my E5 and a buddies G5's is night and day. His G5's look like little tiny toy screens compared to mine, and has no where near the sunlight readability.

It would have to ship with a GPS RSM. No other way around it. But I also think that would be a kick in the knuts to the IFR E5 buyer because if and when they upgraded to Pro Max, they now need the GPS RSM triggering more shop time.

I suspect it is the same exact parts in the box and the STC was modified only. The devil is in the installation manual though. Right now there is zilch on open source to pin it down.

Aspen has updated their installation manual with some references to their VFR only/no panel mount GPS configuration. Makes no mention of using the RSM with GPS built it. Maybe it really is hobbled in this configuration to act solely as an attitude indicator and directional gyro with magnetometer. No backup in the event of lost pitot data. Still a good thought exercise for me. I don't think I'm approaching imminent failure of my vacuum pump or any of my gyros so I'm not immediately in the market for anything.

Back