E-LSA Amended Certificates JAN 31, 2010 Checklist

Stache

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stache
To aid in amending your E-LSA operation limitations by January 31, 2010, The FAA airworthiness inspector will need the following information:

1. N-number
2. Serial number
3. Make of aircraft as listed on your registration
4. Model of aircraft as listed on your registration
5. Class your LSA is i.e. land, sea, amphibian
6. Category i.e. aircraft, weight shift, power parachute, glider, blimp, helicopter. gyrocopter
7. FAA Form 8130-6 Application just like the original you make out.
8. Bring your original Phase 2 limitations with your for replacement
9. Bring your Special Airworthiness Certificate (Pink) for replacement.
10. Number of seats in aircraft one or two.

There are three possible types of limitations an owner can be issued:
1) One seat, not allowed to tow sport glider.
2) One or two seat aircraft allowed towing of gliders.
3) Two seats for flight training allowed towing of gliders.

With the above information the FAA inspector can pre-write your limitations and have it ready for your signature when you come to the office. It should only take 10 to 15 minutes in the office to make the change with the new amended certificate. The inspector does NOT have to reinspect your aircraft for an amended certificate (reference FAA Order 8130.2 under amended certificates).

Most FAA FSDO’s Office hours are 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. Be advised all FSDO’s requires an appointment and in this case you must schedule a date and time. Your local FSDO can be located by going to the FAA web site at; http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/ and performing a search. This will give you city, state and telephone number of your local office.

I guess I missed a couple of things..
1) Why does an already issued E-LSA Operating Limitation need to be change?
2) Why is a single seat E-LSA restricted from towing an LSA Glider?
3) But everyone else can?

On options 2 and 3 in the original post.. LSA aircraft can tow non LSA gliders?

I guess I missed a couple of things..
1) Why does an already issued E-LSA Operating Limitation need to be change?
2) Why is a single seat E-LSA restricted from towing an LSA Glider?
3) But everyone else can?

On options 2 and 3 in the original post.. LSA aircraft can tow non LSA gliders?
I can answer your first question.

When some of the two seat "fat ultralights" were registered as ELSAs there was a stipulation in their operating limitations that permitted them to be used and rented for primary flight instruction, unlike most other experimental aircraft. However, the catch was that airworthiness certificates with this operating limitation were set to expire by Jan 31, 2010. At that point the owner would need to get a new airworthiness certificate without any expiration date, but also without any stipulation that allows one to rent the plane out for training.

Back