E IA to N CA in LSA

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
I'm planning a trip in my LSA from eastern Iowa KIOW to Corning 0O4, northern California, in November, weather permitting.

The initial glance would indicate "follow I-80". Is that a good general route or are there any special aspects to consider?

I'm limited to 10K MSL or 2K AGL, whichever is higher, and will only fly day VFR. The straightline distance is just under 1400 nm and I would try to do it in 2 days of 3-4 hour hops if possible. I'll flight plan for 110 kias. Don't worry too much about these aspects, I'm mostly interested in your suggestions on routing and maybe places to stop. I'm OK in the plains, as I've been west to the Rockies, but while I've driven I-80 a lot years ago I've not flown it at these lower altitudes.

A special bonus would be the ability to get 91 octane mogas but that is not a deal breaker. I can use 100LL if I have to.

I'll need an overnight about half way and will want a modest motel.

Of course, I'll inspect the route, but any P or R zones that are especially notable would be nice to hear about. Any MOA that are not straightforward.

Take it easy crossing over the Sierra. 2000 AGL isn't enough if the wind is above 20 knots or so. Mornings only. I've had continuous light to moderate through that pass at 9500 on a 10 knot day, enough to turn the pax green.

Weather is not easy to predict there, and winds are very significant. No flight following over part of the route. Winter weather is likely in November.

I don't believe there is any prohibited airspace in CA or NV, but there is a whole bunch of restricted airspace, plus the PFR at Beale AFB.

Last edited:
Might look at some of Michael Combs blog entries about flying an LSA to every state with an eye for how often he's had to cancel days. He's done more LSA XC time in public view than most folks. Google Flight for the Human Spirit.

Follow I-80,,, take your time,,,, get flight following for additional safety,,, and pick a couple of days when the headwind is managable....:yes:..

On the bright side... going home will be ALOT faster..;)

Back