Dynon Skyview HDX vs GI 275s

rk

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rafi
Recently bought a 1978 Cessna 182Q and looking into avionics upgrades. My airplane has basic six pack with GTN 750/GMA 350/GTX 345. Initially I was planning to go with all Garmin, GI 275 for both AI and DG, another GI 275 for the engine monitor, and a GFC 500 for autopilot. I got a quote of 51k from an avionics shop. That seemed way to much, so I started looking into alternatives. I got a quote of 42k for a Dynon Skyview HDX (single 10" display) that includes the autopilot and the engine monitor.

The more I am looking into Dynon the more I am liking it. But I have zero experience in Dynon. I also don't have any experience in GI 275s, but have a few hours behind GTN 650 + dual G5 + GFC 500 and I think that's a decent setup and everything seems to seamlessly integrate with each other. Can anyone speak from their experience about the pros and cons of a GTN 750 + Skyview setup compared to an all Garmin setup?

You can’t go wrong with the Dynon system. The G5’s and GI275’s don’t provide much, if any, integration with the GTN that you wouldn’t get from the Dynon. The G3X Touch will give you a slightly better integration with the GTN compared to the Dynon, but that would be substantially more expensive yet.

I got a quote of 42k for a Dynon Skyview HDX (single 10" display) that includes the autopilot and the engine monitor.

Apples to apples comparison; a 10” G3X with engine monitoring and basic GFC500 would cost about the same, depending on the shop. The installation costs should be about the same and the hardware costs maybe a little more.

I’m currently flying a 172 with an HDX + GTN750 setup and the plane we’re partners in is dual G5/GTN650.

Display-wise, it was fairly simple and seamless to transition to the HDX. In my opinion the accessory knob control panel is mandatory for the HDX, whether the autopilot is installed or not.

f2f9907ddc8af748ea8a08e63368df63.jpg

The reason is rotary knob alone on the main panel is just tedious to deal with on an instrument approach and requires is left hand off the yoke or crossing the yoke with your right hand to get to the rotary knob.

I don’t know how your vision is, but the Dynon setup is easier to transition to from outside due to larger everything. Additionally, you can display synthetic vision, traffic, moving map/approach plates, and engine data making your scan really easy. I second the suggestion to get the knob panels for hdg, baro, & alt. While not essential, it will ease your workload.

I have a 1977Q and installed a G3X, G5, GPS175 and GFC 500 last year. Other than a few autopilot bugs I am extremely happy with the setup. I was originally considering the 275's as well but am am so glad I went with the G3X, the extra situational awareness with the charts, approach plates, traffic, usable synthetic vision etc all on the PFD is priceless. I'd strongly recommend going with the G3X or the 10" Dynon rather than the smaller 275's.

Will the Dynon Skyview 10" HDX work with a Garmin GPS175? I have a 182Q with GPS 175 and would like some sort of PFD with out breaking the bank. Any one have an idea of the ballpark cost to buy and install a Dynon Skyview 10" HDX?

Will the Dynon Skyview 10" HDX work with a Garmin GPS175? I have a 182Q with GPS 175 and would like some sort of PFD with out breaking the bank. Any one have an idea of the ballpark cost to buy and install a Dynon Skyview 10" HDX?
I recommend asking Dynon support compatibility questions. They are very, very responsive. When I started teaching the HDX, they were extremely helpful. The user forum is also very helpful with practical interoperability questions.

Works like a charm... GPS 175 is wired to an ARINC box which connects to the SkyView Network.

About $30K all-in including engine monitoring and AP depending on shop.

Best money I ever spent...

Works like a charm... GPS 175 is wired to an ARINC box which connects to the SkyView Network.

Kevin, when and where did you do the install and how many hours did it take? I am also planning to do a single 10” install with engine monitor and AP, and most quotes I am getting are around 40k (California shops are even quoting 50k+).

I already have a S-Tec AP That should work. I'm guess that will save some cost? Maybe 10k or so?

Back