Dynon Skyview and Autopilot’s

Johnny Costello

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Johnny Costello
I am looking at doing a panel upgrade and really like what the Dynon Panel Offers. However the drawback is lack of certified AP. I current have dual G5 and a STEC AP. From what I understand is the AP will still work by it would read from the GPS navigator not the panel.

Trying to understand how this works. Would it be similar to my current setup where I have to set the settings on the AP itself. Current AP will follow the FP from the GPS and follow heading from the G5. Do you just lose the ability to control the AP from the console??

If you keep a G5, then the auto pilot would continue to work the way it does now. The Dynon would not interface to it.

So as long as I have one G5 I can still run the AP ? I was looking at updating my 530 to the 550. So the AP will run on the G5/550 combo?

I cower at the notion of challenging the great Jesse Saint (and no, not being derisive), but an S-Tec autopilot doesn’t rely on a G5 for attitude.

The question is, can the Dynon feed GPS steering commands to the S-Tec autopilot? I think it can, but would ask… yes…@Jesse Saint.

It relies on the G5 for DG functionality, and will also do GPSS from it. The Dynon will not.

The 530 can be swapped for a 540/550 and still work fine.

It relies on the G5 for DG functionality, and will also do GPSS from it. The Dynon will not.

The 530 can be swapped for a 540/550 and still work fine.

See, there you have it. Crow served-up, fresh and hot, and eaten with gusto.

And I did not know the Dynon wouldn’t feed GPSS or heading bug to the S-Tec (assume it’s intended only to feed the Dynon a/p).

I cower at the notion of challenging the great Jesse Saint (and no, not being derisive)
This is definitely undeserved, but I’ve worked a little with this type of setup.

Back