Dynamite Found in Luggage Aboard Flight

Funny, my dad called me earlier, told me to tune to CNN and see the story about dynamite in the luggage. There was no mention of it, so I figured he heard a rumor that was simply incorrect.

I have some apologizing to do.

Sounds like Bill Waldock is also an expert in explosives. He certainly isn't an expert in talking to the media.

Lessee....

College student:
works with explosives?
What course is that? (Major: Destruction 101 ???)

Wanted a souvenier?
Wouldn't a bolo do? (or even a wooly toy Llama?)

Sit dynamite on a shelf for a time, and gravity works on the fluid content,
( the Nitroglycerin ) seeps, and pools in one end. it is now extremely unstable. The slightest jar, and .....BOOM!

Oops ! Sorry Mom! The cat knocked it off the shelf, and it must have hit
dad on the head, while he was changing the twin's diapers..... :hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:
Ummmm.......Does this mean I'm grounded?

What levels has the U.S. educational system dropped to?
I thought to get into college, you had to have a modicum of intelligence.
and pass some sort of IQ test.

I guess I live in another world.... where "Morons" don't get, to go to college,

and a degree really means, something other, than an artificial boost in pay.

More importantly, what does this say about the screening process? Geeze, can't have a small bottle of water or toothpaste, but you can get DYNAMITE and a FUSE/BLASTING CAP on board?

Standby, I think I'm working up to a good rant....

This is the part that caught my eye:

"[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]You're in a pressurized airplane, you get a detonation in the cargo hold, it could blow a hole in the airplane big enough to bring it down,"

So a few sticks of dynamite exploding in an unpressurized plane would be OK, right?
[/FONT]

wsuffa said:
More importantly, what does this say about the screening process? Geeze, can't have a small bottle of water or toothpaste, but you can get DYNAMITE and a FUSE/BLASTING CAP on board?

Standby, I think I'm working up to a good rant....
It was checked baggage. The good news is they found this - once.

The knees have ben jerking that the air cargo containers are not checked. If they can kill off air freight the work is done.

lancefisher said:
This is the part that caught my eye:

"[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]You're in a pressurized airplane, you get a detonation in the cargo hold, it could blow a hole in the airplane big enough to bring it down,"

So a few sticks of dynamite exploding in an unpressurized plane would be OK, right?
[/FONT]
Lance, it caught my eye as well, but then I thought of that true marvel of engineering the DC-10 and recalled that the loss of a belly cargo door in flight is enough to bring the aircraft down; floor collapses, control circuits cut, aircraft crashes, and I thought, well the guy may have been trying to make the point that pressurized aircraft are more vulnerable, but he sure said it poorly, adding concerns about professors to the earlier post expressing concerns about the quality of students and education, and then I realized that this is still the first sentence and knowing I am not of the stature of Faulkner, I thought I'd better give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Back