Dynamic Prop Balance Weights

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
Am looking for opinions/experience on prop balancing...our group is trying to get several done at once...opinions vary about using AN bolts/washers for balance weights or using 'stick on' weights like auto tire shops do. Some say they hold well, others disagree. Your view?

Never seen the stick-on weights used on a prop. I would think they would soon come loose given the rpm and possible engine vibration.

Who ever suggested stick on weights for balancing a prop on an airplane need to be shot and horse whipped.

AN hardware only.

Last edited:
If the stick on weights will come off your wheels, they will come off your prop.
and bein's how they would most likely be inside the spinner, they could move to the opposite side, thus causing more trouble.
Stick with the proper hardware.

If the stick on weights will come off your wheels, they will come off your prop.
and bein's how they would most likely be inside the spinner, they could move to the opposite side, thus causing more trouble.
Stick with the proper hardware.

The reaction you get will be directly related to where you stick them..

Stick on weights are quite often used in the process of prop balancing.

The reaction you get will be directly related to where you stick them..

Stick on weights are quite often used in the process of prop balancing.

Negative. They are seldom if ever used by professional balancers. Only when no other option is available, which is not "often" at all. :nono:

Washers and longer screws are added to the spinner, then that weight is transferred to the fly wheel or spinner bulkhead for the permanent balance solution.

If there is no spinner, flywheel weights can be added under the bolts holding the prop on.

Last edited:
Does your MicroVib manual approve stick on weights? I have done numerous propeller balancing jobs using the Aces Probalancer 2020 and others using a Chadwick. The manuals for both of those do not mention or approve "stick on" weights.

Nope, and mine is for experimentals. I can't imagine any scenario where a certified plane is allowed to use stick on weights. You have to ask yourself on question.. Why? :eek:

If the weight cones off in flight you have no idea what it is going to do or go. :hairraise:

Last edited:
I could see using stick ons to work up the balance them replacing them before flight.

I sure wouldn't fly with them though!!!

Thanks for verifying what was obvious. :rolleyes2:

What ever
How would you attach weights to a composite backing plate made by an after market manufacturer?

drill it full of holes?

Last edited:
I could see using stick ons to work up the balance them replacing them before flight.

Not even that. Temporary weights are placed either on the flywheel or spinner screws while a solution is being computed. Then either the weights are left on the flywheel or holes are drilled in the backplate of the spinner for the permanent weights.

Back