DWI/ Third Class Medical/ SI info

Titan Owner 4015

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Titan Owner4015
Hey guys I have been reading as much as I can on this subject and reading the forums on this site and decided I might as well post as this seems like a good place for helpful info.

Background. I have two alcohol related incidents all reported to the FAA. One in 2010 non blow DUI stop. Automatic license suspension. Case was dismissed and expunged including arrest record but driver license suspended is on my DMV record. DUI in 2014 plead guilty. 100% my fault and take full responsibility. Won't try and make them sound better than they were dumb mistakes and I can only move forward and do what I need to chase my dream. Have my PPL but my Third class medical was revoked. Stopped drinking completely last October.

Current status found a specialized AME who handles these situations and he has put me on a HIMs program. Saw a HIMS psychiatrist last November and he laid out my game plan. Started random drug/alcohol testing in February (14 per year) 6 weeks IOP, After care 2 group and 1 individual a month. AA 3 times a week (logged). I have completed everything above and continuing the reoccurring items. The last item was to do a Cog Screen which is scheduled this month.

My questions-
What can I expect with this cog screen/ how to prepare?

What can I expect for a third class SI if issued and a timeline for obtaining this. How long does the typical third class SI issued for and when/does it get reverted back to a standard.

Any other helpful information would be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this and any feedback.

Since you appear to have read the past threads on DUI/DWI and the associated SI, I'll spare the background details.

But will remind you that the best persons on this forum to answer your questions are Doctor Lou Fowler and Doctor Bruce Chien (@lbfjrmd and @bbchien).

My suggestion is to contact them directly to get the correct answer.

Some internet searching for "Cogscreen-AE" found this page: https://www.cogscreen.com/Overview.aspx
  • CogScreen-Aeromedical Edition (CogScreen-AE) is a computer-administered and scored cognitive-screening instrument designed to rapidly assess deficits or changes in attention, immediate- and short-term memory, visual perceptual functions, sequencing functions, logical problem solving, calculation skills, reaction time, simultaneous information processing abilities, and executive functions.
  • CogScreen-AE was initially designed to meet the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) need for an instrument that could detect subtle changes in cognitive functioning: "changes which left unnoticed may result in poor pilot judgment or slow reaction time in critical operational situations" (Engelberg, Gibbons, & Doege, 1986, p. lS89).
  • CogScreen-AE meets the FAA's requirement for a sensitive and specific neurocognitive test battery for use in the medical recertification evaluation of pilots with known or suspected neurological and/or psychiatric conditions CogScreen-AE is not a test of aviation knowledge or flying skills, but rather a measure of the underlying perceptual cognitive, and information processing abilities associated with flying (Imhoff & Levine, 1986).
  • CogScreen-AE consists of a series of computerized cognitive tasks, each self-contained and presented with instructions and a practice segment.

A Special Issuance is typically for 6 years. But this doesn't change the frequency of when your Third, Second, or First Class needs to be renewed. For example, if you are flying under a Third Class medical, and are less than 40 years of age, your medical is good for 5 years. But if you are over 40, then it's just two. Also, your Special Issuance will have additional specifications on how often you must present fresh reports to the FAA on your condition(s). And this could be as frequent as every years.

I have no data on how long it takes for a properly completed and formatted DWI SI to be granted.

once the HIMS AME submits entire and completed package ... for 3rd class ~ 3 months.
Yup. I just got one, 90 days.
With two, the question is abuse vs dependency.

Aggie, there are no 6 year auths for drug and alcohol issuances.

I was generalizing for all SI's. But I do appreciate the clarification for Drugg and Alcohol. How long are those?

Yup. I just got one, 90 days.
With two, the question is abuse vs dependency.

What kind of SI would be issued IF the FAA grants me one and what would be the conditions? Continuing the same program I am under for a certain time period? I’m sure every case is different but maybe a general idea would help me. Really appreciate this board and the feedback.

What kind of SI would be issued IF the FAA grants me one and what would be the conditions? Continuing the same program I am under for a certain time period? I’m sure every case is different but maybe a general idea would help me. Really appreciate this board and the feedback.
....did you have a BAC over 0.15?over 0.20? Did he say Abuse? Did he say Dependency? It matters.....

My guess is that he said dependency...which is 3 years of pering in the cup (after issuance) and likely one trip back to the HIMS psych, continued recovery activities, six monthly reissusnces..,.,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back