DWI and Class 3 Medical

BobbyC

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BobbyC
Hey There! I am new to aviation and have had the pleasure of starting my training towards a private pilot's license a few months ago. This week, It became time to apply for my 3rd class medical certificate and I filled out the 8500-8 online and submitted it via the website. In Section 18v I disclosed that I had a DWI in 2001 and another in 2006. It was a long time ago and I thought I could put these things behind me. I have not been to the AME yet. My appointment is for this Thursday. If I do not go, Does my application go away after 60 days? Can I just back away gracefully and fly Light Sport Aircraft instead? Any advice is appreciated.

There are a number of "it depends" in your situation. Go to Dr. Bruce Chien's website and send him an email describing IN DETAIL the conditions of your DUI's especially the BAC's in your arrest reports. And when you get in touch with Dr. Bruce, follow his advice and don't try to deny or argue. He's an expert at providing guidance in these situations and will need you to be fully cooperative if he is able to help you.

The FAA has no sense of humor or tolerance on multiple DUI's. Here's the link to Dr. Chien's website:

http://www.aeromedicalDoc.com

Be patient...it may take him some time to get back to you. Good Luck.

As long as you haven't seen or given a AME your the number from your app yet, it will just disappear.

James and Mike are on the ball to help you.

Cancel the appointment with the AME to provide time to obtain accurate guidance on what to do. There is a specific set of documents you need to obtain. Getting all the right ones the first time goes a long way on your behalf. And one of the "It Depends" that Mike alluded to is what your BAC was.

You need to hook up with the tight AME to shepperd you and your submission through the system. Doing that will increase your chances of success. Dr. Bruce is definitely one of those AMEs

If the AME never opens your MedXpress file (requires you surrendering the confirmation number to him or his staff) then the file will be deleted after 60 days.

Final bit: cut out alcohol use as much as possible and strive for zero. That you were tagged once is bad in the FAA's eyes. Get tagged again and you go to way beyond worse.

Question for the gallery: after April 1st, the TSA and FSDOs are involved with issuing student certificates. Will this affect those like BobbyC who would fly LSA? Old rules, no one really would bother with a background check. But new rules with the TSA involved, such a check might be done and BobbyC's DWI might be discovered.

I might be tin foil hatting, but maybe not...

As to your other question, yeah, go get your student pilot cert and start in on your LSA stuff.

You can get a PPL, just like everything "DUI" related you're going to have to toss enough money at it that you cease to be a "bad guy" anymore.

Last edited:
Question for the gallery: after April 1st, the TSA and FSDOs are involved with issuing student certificates. Will this affect those like BobbyC who would fly LSA? Old rules, no one really would bother with a background check. But new rules with the TSA involved, such a check might be done and BobbyC's DWI might be discovered.

I might be tin foil hatting, but maybe not...

FSDO is not necessarily involved with Student Pilot certificate issue after 1 April online application through IACRA. It is the Instructor, Homeland Security and TSA. FSDO can be involved if you want to go the old paper route.

8710 IACRA asks for drug convictions and specifically says not to count alcohol convictions. Hard to say if TSA will find any alcohol convictions, they are looking for criminal activity.

Still need the AME for a medical for airplane instruction and helicopter. Not light sport.

For Light Sport, it is not yet in IACRA , still the paper 8710-11.

Be interesting to hear what Dr Bruce has to offer if no AME Med eXpress, involved.

For the OP, talk to Dr Bruce and see what he recommends for your Class 3, don't give up to easily.

James and Mike are on the ball to help you.

Cancel the appointment with the AME to provide time to obtain accurate guidance on what to do. There is a specific set of documents you need to obtain. Getting all the right ones the first time goes a long way on your behalf. And one of the "It Depends" that Mike alluded to is what your BAC was.

You need to hook up with the tight AME to shepperd you and your submission through the system. Doing that will increase your chances of success. Dr. Bruce is definitely one of those AMEs

If the AME never opens your MedXpress file (requires you surrendering the confirmation number to him or his staff) then the file will be deleted after 60 days.

Final bit: cut out alcohol use as much as possible and strive for zero. That you were tagged once is bad in the FAA's eyes. Get tagged again and you go to way beyond worse.

The FAA takes drunken driving very seriously. The former head of the FAA who was a retired eastern captain was fired for it. Two DWIs are very serious and if I were you, would seriously consider quitting drinking as it would appear you have a problem. ( if you had hit and or injured anyone while you were drinking and driving you probably would not even be driving now much less flying. It's the wake up call!

I can personally echo the advice in reply #1 above - Let the current app age out, and in the mean time email Dr. Bruce. I just flew out to have him do my physical in Peoria this Wednesday. This is after 4+ months of work gathering documents, reports, seeing other doctors, and following his advice to the letter. Your situation is very serious, and to pass the medical is going to be a bit of a struggle and expensive. I've spent over $3500 so far and I don't have two DWI's in my past.

Second piece of advice is also relevant - Quit drinking at all now, if you have not already. Thankfully I never was much of a drinker, but I did do something stupid alcohol related 25 years ago... and it is still a big enough deal to need Dr. Bruce.

Don't try to go it alone, it will take forever, get you denied, and cost more in the long run. Work with Dr. Bruce and listen to him. He is THE expert on this stuff. (And a very smart kind guy, who does his work for peanuts! He is truly an advocate for all airmen...)

For that much money and time, for a potential hobby, I'd just got light sport for now and upgrade to PPL after you get some hours and know this is something you really want to invest in, AND that you need the additional privileges of a PPL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back