DVDs or books for an aspiring aerobatic pilot?

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
Looking for any used aerobatic instructional DVDs or books that someone is looking to depart with... Any offers? Thanks

Basic Aerobatics by Geza Szurovy and Michael Goulian

Advanced Aerobatics by Geza Szurovy and Michael Goulian

I have both and refer to them often.

'Gimp

Basic Aerobatics by Geza Szurovy and Michael Goulian

Advanced Aerobatics by Geza Szurovy and Michael Goulian

I have both and refer to them often.

'Gimp

'Gimp, not trying to be argumentative at all, but though these books might be available at your local Barnes and Noble, these are the ones I would least recommend for anyone with serious aerobatic interest. They're OK for someone who has some passing interest in acro and wants something quick and easy to read with some pictures. But they lack a lot of detail of description when it comes to the intricacy of the maneuvers. I disagree with some of the techniques too. For those who just want to do recreational "flopping around" aerobatics, they're OK. But for those who want to fly with a high level of precision (doesn't have to mean competition), there are much better books out there. IMO, Alan Cassidy's book is multiple times better and more informative than both of those two books together.

The description of the basic hammerhead, for instance, glosses over a lot things such as when to pivot, how to monitor the quality of the pivot, degree of control input, and how to stop the pivot. They make it sound like the maneuver is a simple and mechanical 1-2-3 control input maneuver. IMO, there are also some technical inaccuracies with their description, as in their assertion that (in addition to torque control) right aileron is used during the pivot due to the right wing generating "more lift" due to its faster speed. It will only generate more lift if you pivot the airplane at a positive AOA. A precise hammerhead pivot is done at zero AOA, and the wings will generate no lift, no matter how much faster one wing travels.

They also mention that it's "imperative" that the rudder, aileron, and forward stick be applied sequentially. If you take that advice, you'll never do a good hammerhead in anything with more performance than a Citabria.

And stopping the pivot takes just as much care as starting the pivot. Gyroscopic effect is the first to go away when the pivot stops, followed by torque. The description of "one continuous " movement in neutralizing the controls leaves a lot to be desired when there is a sequence of forces to deal with. Again, I write this from the perspective of someone who cares about flying with a high level of precision. And the chapter on snap rolls is very glossed over, and describes a technique that will mess you up if you ever want to get into competition. I know I'm always harping on Cassidy's book 'Better Aerobatics', but it is truly an amazing effort, and has helped me much more than the many other acro books (in and out of print) that I've read. But I admit there may be more detail in his book than the casual aerobatic "enthusiast" may care to read or understand. But for those with enough interest, it's far and away the best book out there.

And I don't know of any good DVDs. Video might be fun to watch, but on this subject, old fashioned books are the best way to go. There have been few acro instructional videos made, and none capture a high level of detail.

Last edited:
I don't disagree Whifferdill. Agree on Cassidy's book (if you can get it), everyone has to start somewhere, and any book is only part of it. Key is a good instructor, and eventually ground coaching, etc.

The Szurozy/Goulian books are good intro's in my opinion as someone is who is admittedly entry-level, but the instructor and coaching are where I think precision comes from.

'Gimp

I don't disagree Whifferdill. Agree on Cassidy's book (if you can get it), everyone has to start somewhere, and any book is only part of it.

Cassidy's is a great book--my copy is falling apart. And it is not hard to find: available from EAA or Amazon.

Cassidy's is a great book--my copy is falling apart. And it is not hard to find: available from EAA or Amazon.
I must be thinking of another book then, there was some discussion on the Exploder last Fall about a book that was practically unobtanium, I thought it was Alan's book but might be something else.

Thanks for the links!

'Gimp

but the instructor and coaching are where I think precision comes from.

Yep, critiquing/coaching more so than dual, since your average aerobatic instructor does not fly precision aerobatics and may be skilled teaching the basics, but not with a high level of precision. And it takes enough practice to develop decent precision that obtaining dual up to that point would be very expensive...assuming you had a capable enough instructor to being with. It's all about hooking up with the right folks. Since coaching involves not only telling your what things look like, but also how to fix them, this takes someone with a good bit of experience. Not everyone has access to someone like that unless you invest in travel and/or money. A good book like Cassidy's really can fill in the gaps that a lot of books leave out. The most successful aerobatic pilots use all the tools - study, critiquing/coaching, and of course lots of gas through the engine.

I must be thinking of another book then, there was some discussion on the Exploder last Fall about a book that was practically unobtanium, I thought it was Alan's book but might be something else.

I think it might have been one of Bill Thomas' books. Those are good too, and have some useful tidbits, just not nearly as in-depth or detailed as Cassidy's book.

Last edited:
Thanks! This is all very helpfull.. Is a Citabria a good aircraft to learn aerobatics in?? More specifically - 7GCBC Scout (150hp) I've had people tell me that if I wanted to learn the right way, I should jump into a Pitts or Christian Eagle.. So pretty much what they've said is go bug a rich guy at the airport...

Thanks! This is all very helpfull.. Is a Citabria a good aircraft to learn aerobatics in?? More specifically - 7GCBC Scout (150hp) I've had people tell me that if I wanted to learn the right way, I should jump into a Pitts or Christian Eagle.. So pretty much what they've said is go bug a rich guy at the airport...
Most folks will recommend starting in something that requires a lot of control inputs, almost exaggerated, where the plane does next to none of the work and I think for most folks this is the right place to start, think Citabria or Decathlon.

The more capable the planes get, it becomes harder as a student and I would assume as an instructor, to define the line between acceptable pilot performance and above average plane performance. I would think this occurs around the Christen Eagle/Pitts S-2A point, and gets worse the higher end you go (e.g., MX2, Extra 300, Pitts S-2C).

Nearly all of my acro time to-date is an Extra 300L, flown with a current airshow pilot and former IAC competitor - does his own maintenance (A&P) and is really into it to spread acro rather than make a killing, so I was getting a smoking deal - but it amazaes me how many acro pilots almost sneer at me for starting in an Extra - as if the plane would prevent me from learning.

That said, I did find AFTER the Extra that flying acro in a Christen Eagle and Yak-52 was eye-opening in that it really required more exaggerated or different inputs, but I was able to perceive it myself and make adjustments - the same kind of adjustments would have been required for someone going from a Yak or Eagle to the Extra in my opinion, so for me it is more about focus and quality of instruction.

As Whifferdill points out above though, all things being equal, the more gas through the engine (read that hours flown) the better you should be, so cheaper is usually better since you get to fly more.

'Gimp

Back