DVD Training

WannaFly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
What are peoples opinions on the DVD training series videos that are offered? I am thinking about picking one up so I can start on the knowledge portion of training. I have been looking at the ones from Sporty's, King, and Jeppsen. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
Thank you,

Mike, I've seen folks on this forum offering the use of (borrow) their video's that they have used for training. If you do a search, you may find some video's being offered out on loan. The "Book Club" within this forum also has some training material from time to time.

Best Wishes in your search. I'd offer to help find them but it seems like my search technique on the forum here #$!@'s and I can never find what I'm looking for while others find 'em quickly.

What are peoples opinions on the DVD training series videos that are offered? I am thinking about picking one up so I can start on the knowledge portion of training. I have been looking at the ones from Sporty's, King, and Jeppsen. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
Thank you,

There are several threads on this topic on here, but the short version is that King DVDs are good if you don't mind the presentation style, Sportys are ok but some find them dull, Jepp are linked to the text book and are therefore somewhat redundant.

The King Test Prep DVDs are very focused on preparing you to pass the Knowledge Exam (shocker!).

IMHO, the King set is a good review prior to taking the test, but should not be the primary introduction to the material (in other words, study the stuff on your own first).

There are a few online rental places that carry King and Sporty's DVD sets.

Buy them on eBay, sell when you're done. Low or no cost.

Sporty's are good but a little shallow sometimes. King's are pedantic and my tolerance for John and Martha is limited. But if You are a careful eBay buyer you can easily try both on the cheap.

Ymmv

In addition to what Dan wrote I think you should also ask yourself what type of learning style works best for you. I like some DVD learning, mostly things that are similar to the King checkride series. But when it comes to learning concepts that are to be applied on a written exam I much prefer reading a well written book and doing practice examinations. A good book and a Gleim CD work best for me. But that is my style, it may be yours too for all I know. I am jsut saying just because there are DVDs and they are marketed strongly does not mean you have to buy them. Plenty of people get along with other resources that fit their learning styles.

Don't overlook ASA's Virtual Test Prep. You even get to see me!!! (and Barry Schiff, among others). $169.95. There is a demo on their web page, www.asa2fly.com.

Bob Gardner

I used the King DVD's for the PPL, if you can tolerate the humor they will provide plenty of info and the book will always provide a reference when you feel the need to refresh the memory.

For my IR I am using the King test prep, King cleared for the approach and the ASA DVD's. Again, I like the DVD's and having the book as a reference when I complete the course. I also agree on a few noted books for reading.

The fundamental weakness of all the video learning systems (whatever the medium -- tapes, DVD's, etc) is that effective learning requires feedback and correction. You don't get that from one-way learning systems. In that sense, they are no better than books -- the only fundamental difference is someone's reading the book to you.

There are several threads on this topic on here, but the short version is that King DVDs are good if you don't mind the presentation style, Sportys are ok but some find them dull, Jepp are linked to the text book and are therefore somewhat redundant.

The King Test Prep DVDs are very focused on preparing you to pass the Knowledge Exam (shocker!).

IMHO, the King set is a good review prior to taking the test, but should not be the primary introduction to the material (in other words, study the stuff on your own first).

There are a few online rental places that carry King and Sporty's DVD sets.

I was going to give an answer but Dan said exactly what I was going to say.

The fundamental weakness of all the video learning systems (whatever the medium -- tapes, DVD's, etc) is that effective learning requires feedback and correction. You don't get that from one-way learning systems. In that sense, they are no better than books -- the only fundamental difference is someone's reading the book to you.

Except that I think the video media really helps you visulize things due to the use of the graphics.

I searched a bit for DVD stuff. I am not opposed to books. A couple that I looked at had both book and DVD. I learn best hands on but do good with books and DVD's too. I can't afford flight lessons yet and I thought this would be a good way to get started.

Do not buy the King stuff on eBay. They are the only ones who require a log on to their server through the web when you open the software and are password protected. Unless you're more than sixty miles from a Cessna Pilot Center, you can't use the new software beyond the first six disks. King has a decent presentation but it's just not sufficient in volume of material in my opinion. During both instrument and commercial, I was constantly seeking out other sources of information to help better understand what they were putting out. Ironically, I bought the Jep material to help me out along with the FAA books.

If ya want them that much, I'd go with the Jep stuff. At least you can get the text and DVDs cheaper than the King kits.

Do not buy the King stuff on eBay. They are the only ones who require a log on to their server through the web when you open the software and are password protected.
Yes, and bad on me for not mentioning that when I suggested eBay. I bought a G1000 course and learned that the hard way. I think, though, that the older King courses on CD & DVD are not protected. But the buyer should definitely check before committing. With the G1000 course, the seller gave me my money back but YMMV.

I have experience with King, sportys and ASA.

I used King for my private. Like mentioned above, you sorta have to go along with the humor. It's not the same or as good as Rod Machado though. They do cover most of what is on the exam.

I also have the entire private set of Sportys. They're similar to King but do give different perspectives on topics such as weather from the long time pilot and writer, Richard L Collins who also helped create "Air Facts" (sold separately).

My personal favorite is ASA's Virtual Test Prep. In my opinion, they are more entertaining and provide different learning styles from a variety of instructors on the different topics all of which are needed for the exam and basic flying in general.

Here are examples of each:

King Private Pilot Exam Course: http://www.kingschools.com/webVideo/videoAsp/PlayVideo.asp?id=48

Sporty's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekisKnwcQwk

ASA: (It's for sport pilots, ASA's actual demo for private doesn't do it justice): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3h0o_1c_k

If you're really interested, I have an extra full length copy of Sporty's "Your First Few Hours" that you are welcome to borrow. Just PM me your address.

Do understand that these are no substitute to good flight instruction but it sure helps to clarify or at least a change of pace for those that tend to nod off reading the book.

Last edited:
You also should consider Gold Seal's Online Ground School as an adjunct to other training options. Although there is premium content, most of the Private Pilot level lessons are totally free.

Bottom line is don't stick with any one source. Mix and match resources to find the combination that works best for you.

- Russ

Do not buy the King stuff on eBay. They are the only ones who require a log on to their server through the web when you open the software and are password protected. Unless you're more than sixty miles from a Cessna Pilot Center, you can't use the new software beyond the first six disks. King has a decent presentation but it's just not sufficient in volume of material in my opinion. During both instrument and commercial, I was constantly seeking out other sources of information to help better understand what they were putting out. Ironically, I bought the Jep material to help me out along with the FAA books.

If ya want them that much, I'd go with the Jep stuff. At least you can get the text and DVDs cheaper than the King kits.

I agree with you, Ken. I used King for my PPL, and that worked out fine. I also read the entire Jeppessen book, which was invaluable.

For my IR, I'm using the Cessna Pilot Center version of the King course. They (John, Martha, and a few other corny people) are literally reading the textbook to me, and having to change my fonts every time I run the program and DVDs is driving me nuts. But in for a penny, in for a pound, and I'm not going to change this mid-stream, especially since this is the method used by my flight school. I do like the lab/flight system that they put together.

Because the knowledge is basic and minimal in this course, I'm supplementing this with the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook, and Rod Machado's new Instrument book, which is great, but probably twice the size if you took out the jokes. But, I like his style, and he makes complex concepts understandable.

Hello all, new guy signing in here. I am using the King dvd's with no problems but I am also backing it up with the ASA Ground School book as well as the Kershner book. The King dvd is fine (imo) but John and Martha go a little fast for me at times so the books help.

For my IR, I'm using the Cessna Pilot Center version of the King course. They (John, Martha, and a few other corny people) are literally reading the textbook to me, and having to change my fonts every time I run the program and DVDs is driving me nuts. But in for a penny, in for a pound, and I'm not going to change this mid-stream, especially since this is the method used by my flight school. I do like the lab/flight system that they put together.

Because the knowledge is basic and minimal in this course, I'm supplementing this with the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook, and Rod Machado's new Instrument book, which is great, but probably twice the size if you took out the jokes. But, I like his style, and he makes complex concepts understandable.
I used what you are using plus Dogan's book.

I used what you are using plus Dogan's book.

I'm not familiar with Dogan's book - can you give me a title?

What do you think of Machado's book? Besides being funny/corny, he does convey these concepts pretty well, IMHO.

I'm not familiar with Dogan's book - can you give me a title?

What do you think of Machado's book? Besides being funny/corny, he does convey these concepts pretty well, IMHO.

Peter Dogan: Instrument Flight Training.

It is used by PIC. I have not taken their course, I think Ron teaches for them. But regardless of who uses it I liked the book a lot and found it very helpful.

http://www.iflyifr.com/book.php

Last edited:
For the private, I used the Gleim book, Bob Gardner's "The Complete Private Pilot" (cheers, Bob, you owe me a beer :cheerswine:) and was more than adequately (100%) prepared.

I felt like I wanted more for the IR, so I got the King DVD, plus the Gleim book. I felt like the two really provided a great 1-2 knockout punch as far as the book larnin' was concerned. I went through PIC for my IR, so I had the Dogan book too, which is great from a practical, "book larnin' is great but this is how things are done in the real world" perspective.

Back