DVD drive just quit? Huh?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I wonder what happened? My DVD RW Drive just took a vacation. :dunno: No matter what I put into it, it doesn't seem to think there is anything in it. I've only had this HP computer for a year now and it has been well-behaved up until today. :confused: Any suggestions? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Does it show in device manager?

What happens if you click on the drive icon?
I'm sure Jesse will be along soon...

Laptop, or desktop? Any chance it got hit by something and got unplugged in some way?

If it shows up in the "my computer" drive list, it is most likely installed properly...

The First thing I would try if you are sure it didn't get unplugged in any manner, would be to try and reinstall the latest drivers off of the drive's manufacturer's website.

Does it show in device manager?

What happens if you click on the drive icon?
I'm sure Jesse will be along soon...
It does show up, and I checked for latest updates and it's got the latest.

If I click on the icon, it says that it's there, but it won't acknowledge if anything is in the drive when I stick something in there.

Laptop, or desktop? Any chance it got hit by something and got unplugged in some way?
It's a desktop. My cat gets behind my computer and chews wires. Darn cat.

If it shows up in the "my computer" drive list, it is most likely installed properly...

It shows up there.

The First thing I would try if you are sure it didn't get unplugged in any manner, would be to try and reinstall the latest drivers off of the drive's manufacturer's website.
Oh, okay, I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

Thanks, guys! :)

They're all manufactured in China for a cost of 42 cents. DVD drives are consumables.

Go to your nearest computer store, plop down 25 bucks, get a new one and install it.

You are a smart young lady, just take the old one out, reverse the process to put the new one in. No drivers are necessary, the cd / dvd drivers are native to windows.

They're all manufactured in China for a cost of 42 cents. DVD drives are consumables.

Go to your nearest computer store, plop down 25 bucks, get a new one and install it.

You are a smart young lady, just take the old one out, reverse the process to put the new one in. No drivers are necessary, the cd / dvd drivers are native to windows.

You don't understand. Her nearest computer store is, like, in another time zone or something.

Diana's hard drive is corn-powered.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
You mean besides 'get a mac'?

Ok I see a few of the things you have done. Have you also done the most basic of Windoze fixes, a reboot?

Since it is a desktop I'll ask has it been moved or bumped hard recently? If so it may be a simple connector issue.

Do you hear any spin up activity of the DVD drive?

If not, can you see the little micro switch on the DVD drive door and can you test to make sure that it is getting pushed in?

You don't understand. Her nearest computer store is, like, in another time zone or something.

Diana's hard drive is corn-powered.

So order on online. I'm sure Fedex will deliver to the farm, even if they have to use a horse drawn wagon for the last leg.

Where is Chip when I need him???? :D

Ok I see a few of the things you have done. Have you also done the most basic of Windoze fixes, a reboot?
Did that.

Since it is a desktop I'll ask has it been moved or bumped hard recently? If so it may be a simple connector issue.
Hummm, the bug guy was here today and sprayed the house. That's the only thing I know of.

Do you hear any spin up activity of the DVD drive?
Yes, it spins and makes attempts.

If not, can you see the little micro switch on the DVD drive door and can you test to make sure that it is getting pushed in?
There's a micro switch?

Yes, it spins and makes attempts.

There's a micro switch?
There is usually some sort of sensor i.e. microswitch, optical coupler, etc. that tells when the door has closed. Then possible a sensor to see if a disc is now in the drive to start the spin up routine, then proceding to attempt the read the disc.

At this point we can assume the electrical connection are all good as your drive is attempting to spin up. Therefore we now have to wonder why it is a) not reading the disc or b)unable to read the disc.

Have you recently installed any new software at all?

Last edited:
If it spins up, it means all the sensors work fine. I'm guessing the lens failed. You can try a lens cleaning disk, but those rarely work. Make sure the disk you are using is clean and all, but if not, it looks like you are in for a replacement.

Install is simple, Power off, take off the side of the case. Pull out the drive (differs on every computer unfortunately, but if you give a model, we might find you a good guide!), plug in the new one, and slide the new one in!

I'm a Mac guy, but my MacBook drive suddenly won't read a disk. Makes me mad. I'm going to take it apart and check for Corgi hair - maybe that's it.

Diana,

When you insert a disc and close the door, does the light flash on it? Moreoever, does it flash in a continuous rhythm and never stop?

If it flashes for a bit, erratically and then stops, the drive is probably good, and something else is interfereing.

If it flashses in a continuous rhythm for 30 or more seconds, the drive is most likely toast.

If you need someone to install a new drive for you, I can/will do it for ya provided you get a new DVD drive first.

How old is the drive? The lasers will fail after some years. The lens can also fail. All the previous advice is good, but most of it assumes the drive is OK. If that doesn't check out, replacing a drive is a very simple matter. Some screws and two connectors on the back is it.

Have you recently installed any new software at all?
It first happened when I stuck the Kaspersky CD in to update my program. That CD worked OK on Tom's computer.

Diana,

When you insert a disc and close the door, does the light flash on it? Moreoever, does it flash in a continuous rhythm and never stop?

If it flashes for a bit, erratically and then stops, the drive is probably good, and something else is interfereing.

If it flashses in a continuous rhythm for 30 or more seconds, the drive is most likely toast.
I don't see a light flashing except for the main computer light.

If you need someone to install a new drive for you, I can/will do it for ya provided you get a new DVD drive first.
That's nice of you to offer. :yes: Aren't you really far away, though?

How old is the drive? The lasers will fail after some years. The lens can also fail. All the previous advice is good, but most of it assumes the drive is OK. If that doesn't check out, replacing a drive is a very simple matter. Some screws and two connectors on the back is it.
The computer and drive are only a year old. Sounds like I need a new drive, I guess?

It first happened when I stuck the Kaspersky CD in to update my program. That CD worked OK on Tom's computer.
but you installed nothing?

I am thinking you have a dead drive.

Real simple to replace, but get Nick to come visit. He needs time away from NM.

Here's how to install the drive:

http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/assemble15.htm

If you need one, I can pick one up for you and mail it to you. I'm 20 minutes from a Microcenter (a/k/a "My Second Home"). Just let me know whether you need EIDE or SATA. Or just order one online from New Egg or Tiger Direct.

-Rich

And if it turns out that a new drive doesn't fix the problem, I'll buy it from you as I can use a new drive myself. Now your replacement is risk-free!

Here's how to install the drive:

http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/assemble15.htm

If you need one, I can pick one up for you and mail it to you. I'm 20 minutes from a Microcenter (a/k/a "My Second Home"). Just let me know whether you need EIDE or SATA. Or just order one online from New Egg or Tiger Direct.

-Rich
Thanks for the link. :) We may just drive to the city tomorrow and buy a drive. Do they have them at Best Buy? I don't know what EIDE and SATA mean. :redface:

Thanks for the link. :) We may just drive to the city tomorrow and buy a drive. Do they have them at Best Buy? I don't know what EIDE and SATA mean. :redface:

EIDE (or PATA) will have a flat ribbon cable attached to it (left, below).

SATA will have a smaller cable attached to it (right, below).

comparison.gif

Best,

Rich

EIDE (or PATA) will have a flat ribbon cable attached to it (left, below).

SATA will have a smaller cable attached to it (right, below).

Rich
Thanks, Rich. :) It was a SATA. We just got back from the city where we bought a new one at Best Buy (the computer guys there made sure we got the correct one :)) and my husband stuck it in. New one works great! :yes:

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Thanks, Rich. :) It was a SATA. We just got back from the city where we bought a new one at Best Buy (the computer guys there made sure we got the correct one :)) and my husband stuck it in. New one works great! :yes:

You've taken your first step into a larger world! ;)

You're welcome. Glad you got it fixed!

-Rich

Back